• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I was going to Tim Hortons. Saw a huuuuuuuge line-up for the drive thru but barely anyone inside. I walked in, ordered, and left within 2 minutes. The line was still the same just longer.

Have I become smart?

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People are lazy as fuck. Myself included. Pandemic probably magnifies it but this has been a thing forever. There's also just the placebo that drive thru is "quicker" due to not leaving your car, even if it actually ends up being much longer.

Deleted member 75819

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2020
Pre-pandemic I used to hit McDonald's before work. I'd save like ten minutes just going inside compared to the drive thru. I think it's lack of awareness or something.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
Assuming no pandemic: Some people, sometimes older but not always, find it more work to deal with apps and walk into a store than to just stay in their car and do it the old fashioned way. Not sure if I'd even call it laziness... just a comfort in the familiar

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
There's a drive through Starbucks near us that my wife likes to use. The line is always stupid long, so she'll usually just park in the parking lot and put in an app order and get it from the takeaway window 5 minutes later. It's a really simple workaround that 90% of people don't think to try.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Pre-pandemic - definitely perceived convenience. Even if it's actually slower.

During the on-going pandemic - I think it's caution.

Consequence

Oct 27, 2017
For me it's always when I have kids in the car and it was spontaneous enough that I couldn't do an app order ahead of time.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes it's nice to just chill in the car for a bit and think your thoughts.

Oct 27, 2017
I always use the app at my nearby McDonald's and wait in one of the dedicated mobile app order spots. I get the food and out of there way quicker than going through the drive-through. I don't know why nearly everyone orders through the drive-through but it makes it quick for me so I don't mind.

Last edited:

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
The bigger mystery is when there is two lanes and people don't use the second lane and instead wait in line in the first lane.

Oct 28, 2017
If I'm getting fast food then I've already decided to do the lazy thing so I put zero effort to look publicly presentable. I still shower and put on deodorant because I'm not an asshole but my hair will be a mess and I'm not wearing any good clothes.

latex

Jul 5, 2018
I listen to podcasts on a regular basis so sitting in my car for an extra few minutes is preferred.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
I don't usually see this at any place other than Chick fil a which somehow always has a line going into the other parking lots, but my guess is people like to be in their car by themselves waiting for something rather than around a bunch of other people. I like listening to a podcast or something while waiting in the car or thinking about things.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Pre-pandemic I would park and order to go. I'd occasionally stay in the car if maybe I just came from home and wasn't dressed for it or if I had a lot of drinks (pain to deal with soda fountains and carry everything once you get over four drinks).

Now though, I go through the drive-thru even for just me because I'm not about to go share air with a bunch of strangers.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
This is an easy one. People are lazy and don't feel like walking. Sitting in the car and just doing something else is better than walking and standing. In some cases, even if a line seems longer sometimes the drive thru clears faster due to some places having a more dedicated queue (which obviously not this case).

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Because of laziness.

Why get out of your car when you can stay in it? This especially applies when it's either too hot or too cold outside.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Pure laziness

I order inside and pick up to go because idling newer cars is bad for the engine

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I've gone inside when I've seen long lines at the drive-thru and sometimes it takes just as long or even longer, because most of the time they prioritize the drive-thru customers.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Because it's the only time i get to actually listen to the songs without having to worry about the driving.

Same reason why i don't walk in escalators. It's a little bit of chill time.

However that is bad and time spend still in a car is time you could spend being more efficient and not polluting the air.

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
This is especially prevelant at In-N-Out at least here in AZ. I can park, order, and walk out and the person who I would have been behind still hasn't ordered in the drive thru. Even before the pandemic

aliengmr

Oct 26, 2017
Because taking the boys inside becomes a whole thing that I don't want to deal with. It requires a commitment that I just don't feel like making after spontaneously deciding to get fast food. It also forces me to fully absorb my life choices, when I could remain in denial, in my car.

Also lazy.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
This has always been the case prior to pandemics.

People don't want to have to walk. It's laziness.

I always walk in because I get served right away.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Before 2020, just lazyness / not wanting to get out of the car.

Though, sometimes even if it's a long long, the inside is much busier and car line is easier and shorter.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Pre-pandemic whenever I used an app it was hit or miss that I'd show up and it would be "oh you're the guy that used the app" and everyone behind the counter is trying to figure out what's going on.

I normally go inside to order vs the drive-through but a Starbucks near my work basically is functioning as a drive-through only store (you could go inside prior to the pandemic) at the moment. While there are people who actually order at the box, there are others like me who order via the app and tell them that I have a mobile order for pickup.

The advent of ordering through the app but picking up through the drive-through is relatively new I think, so there's impact from that I'll bet.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I always went in an ordered inside because it was always faster. Now because of Covid I never do. I either order through an app or use the drive-thru.