• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Openrob

Nov 5, 2017
Because people don't understand that setting isn't theme. Die Hard is a movie that takes place during Christmas, but it is not a Christmas movie, with the exception that if you watch it every Christmas, you have made it your own Christmas movie. But you could do that with any movie regardless of setting, so that's not any kind of argument that Die Hard is, in fact, a Christmas movie. You could change the reason McClane is in town to a graduation or birthday or wedding and the story remains the same. Christmas is completely irrelevant to the story.
And if my grandmother had wheels she'd be a bike

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's almost 100% an adaptation of A Christmas Carol.

Edit: This is unintentionally 100% funnier than I intended, because I thought you were replying to the person who called Iron Man 3 a Christmas movie. Which it totally is, for the aforementioned reason.
Holy shit you're right. I've greatly underestimated IM3.

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just watched Uncle Buck today which I always associated as being a Christmas movie because it's like got lots of snow and is shown around Christmas time on Netflix (under the festive category too) and BBC but today I realised it has 0% Christmas imagery.

Then I had the realisation that Die Hard is more of a Christmas movie than even Uncle Buck.

Because people don't understand that setting isn't theme.

That's like saying politics in a game are a setting and not a theme and therefore saying games are not political.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, at this point, it's people who try to enforce 'it's not a Christmas movie' who are the self important contrarians. Everyone else is just enjoying a fun Christmas flick.

Jul 24, 2018
It is as whimsical and violent as the Home Alone movies, and the Christmas setting adds to the cozy atmosphere that Scandinavians like myself love.

JAGMASK

Jan 3, 2018
01-881660.jpg

It's in the christmas movie collection in HMV now.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Holy shit you're right. I've greatly underestimated IM3.
Shane Black has even gone on record about this, and which character is which ghost etc.

We actually started talking about this as a Christmas Carol episode of Iron Man.

Certain characters in Iron Man 3 are analogous to different ghosts from the Dickens tale.

More at the link.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so like the climax of the film is framed as a Christmas miracle with the protagonist finding Christmas stuff while jingle bells ring in order to save the day

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I saw this movie for the first time last week and it absolutely is a Christmas movie.

I think people who haven't seen in a while don't realize how many damned sleigh bells there are all over the score. They are deliberately applying a theme through their choice in music. Plus, it's sort of all about the importance of family. He does this to save his wife's life and (by extension) his relationship with his daughter... which doesn't make it a Christmas film alone but, when taken in consideration with all other factors, it absolutely seals the deal.

Also, I don't know about you nerds who salivate about this film 24/7, but I couldn't imagine watching this movie at any other time of year. It wouldn't feel right.

Mar 30, 2019
I saw this movie for the first time last week and it absolutely is a Christmas movie.

I think people who haven't seen in a while don't realize how many damned sleigh bells there are all over the score. They are deliberately applying a theme through their choice in music. Plus, it's sort of all about the importance of family. He does this to save his wife's life and (by extension) his relationship with his daughter... which doesn't make it a Christmas film alone but, when taken in consideration with all other factors, it absolutely seals the deal.

Also, I don't know about you nerds who salivate about this film 24/7, but I couldn't imagine watching this movie at any other time of year. It wouldn't feel right.
That's why we are blessed with Die Hard: With a Vengeance.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Anyone think I should make a thread to see if people consider Eyes Wide Shut to be a Christmas movie? I don't know about you lot, but given that it's not as overtly transgressive to the idea of what constitutes a Christmas movie, it probably won't result in a more divisive response.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone think I should make a thread to see if people consider Eyes Wide Shut to be a Christmas movie? I don't know about you lot, but given that it's not as overtly transgressive to the idea of what constitutes a Christmas movie, it probably won't result in a more divisive response.
Really ? The "erotic" thing alone will make people dismiss it entirely.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, at this point, it's people who try to enforce 'it's not a Christmas movie' who are the self important contrarians. Everyone else is just enjoying a fun Christmas flick.

Yep. And to think that there's people here suggesting that people who think it is a Christmas movie are the vocal contrarians lol.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Really ? The "erotic" thing alone will make people dismiss it entirely.
Exactly. I just want to know from those same folks if they also agree if Eyes Wide Shut should be grouped in with Die Hard over what constitutes a Christmas movie.

Yep. And to think that there's people here suggesting that people who think it is a Christmas movie are the vocal contrarians lol.
Then would you agree with me on my choice of movie if that also counts?

We really need a tiered system for this.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Anything's a christmas movie if you watch it on christmas. I'm watching Midsommar tonight for example.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
It's quite simple, a tenouutaten movie like Die Hard also occupying top christmas positions leaves folks bitter who want to highlight some sappy santa slop.

Oct 28, 2017
Twas the night before christmas and all through the house not a creature was stirring

EXCEPT

The four assholes coming in through the rear standard two by two cover formation

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a movie about Christmas, but it is a movie set at Christmas that has a tradition of being played at Christmas.

It is a Christmas movie, simply for the fact it has become one. You don't get to be arbiter of what is and isn't, the people have spoken.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
It's not a movie about Christmas, but it is a movie set at Christmas that has a tradition of being played at Christmas.

It is a Christmas movie, simply for the fact it has become one. You don't get to be arbiter of what is and isn't, the people have spoken.
Depends on what people mean when they say 'about Christmas'. Like Lethal Weapon is about Christmas in the sense that it's about someone feeling suicidal around the holidays because they lost a loved one.

Like I joke mother! is more of a Christmas movie than Elf or A Christmas Carol even. Cause it's a birth of christ movie.

But thematically anything about family and community, charity and togetherness set around christmas is about Christmas in the secular sense (and that's at the root of A Christmas Carol, not the tiny smattering of references to how Tiny Tim loves Jesus or whatever).

Die Hard 2 is about traveling to be with family, which is inherently Christmassy if you ask me.

Shazam is extremely Christamassy, thematically.

But I also think films about loneliness and over commercialization etc are about Christmas if they are set at that time of year.

And speaking personally if your film centers on a Christmas tradition like gift giving or Christmas parties, like Die Hard or Go, or a host of other stuff, it should count.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what people mean when they say 'about Christmas'. Like Lethal Weapon is about Christmas in the sense that it's about someone feeling suicidal around the holidays because they lost a loved one.

Like I joke mother! is more of a Christmas movie than Elf or A Christmas Carol even. Cause it's a birth of christ movie.

But thematically anything about family and community, charity and togetherness set around christmas is about Christmas in the secular sense (and that's at the root of A Christmas Carol, not the tiny smattering of references to how Tiny Tim loves Jesus or whatever).

Die Hard 2 is about traveling to be with family, which is inherently Christmassy if you ask me.

Shazam is extremely Christamassy, thematically.

But I also think films about loneliness and over commercialization etc are about Christmas if they are set at that time of year.

And speaking personally if your film centers on a Christmas tradition like gift giving or Christmas parties, like Die Hard or Go, or a host of other stuff, it should count.
I mean it's not a Christmas story, it's a story set at Christmas. Even if it has themes that span, it is not specifically about Christmas. And I understand that distinction, it just isn't the final say in the conversation.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I mean it's not a Christmas story, it's a story set at Christmas. Even if it has themes that span, it is not specifically about Christmas. And I understand that distinction, it just isn't the final say in the conversation.
What's the difference? Not being facetious. It's a Wonderful Life isn't specifically about Christmas, but I'll be damned if it isnt a Christmas movie.

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure it's a totally coincidence (not really) but Fortnite just so happened to release a female version of John McClane in December complete with bare feet and a taped on pistol.

fortnite-outfit-flatfoot.jpg

fortnite-back-bling-easy-reach.jpg

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
If a movie is set during Christmas but Christmas themes aren't a part of the movie it's not a Christmas movie. Christmas. Now it's been forever Christmas since I've seen die hard. Does Christmas die hard have Christmas themes at its core?...Christmas.

Nov 2, 2018
'Christmas Movie' is subjective, sure.

But Die Hard is set at Christmas, has tons of Christmas references/songs, and the core message is about John being with his family for the holidays.

So why isn't it a Christmas movie again?

It is fine if you don't consider it be - but you also have to admit Home Alone isn't either. Tons are film aren't I guess.

I could argue A Christmas Carol isn't a Christmas film, which is ridiculous.

In fact I will: A Christmas Carol stars an OLD MAN. Christmas is about Children. The film is about GHOSTS. Ghosts aren't Christmas. The main plot is an old man coming to terms with a wasted spiteful life and if you had it take place in the Summer nothing would change, except Tiny Tim would get a BBQ or something. Santa doesn't appear, nor does Will Ferrell. People who say A Christmas Carol is about Christmas need to understand what setting is.

Last edited:

VeggieBurger

Jan 6, 2018
it is a christmas movie. people have also been saying it's their favorite christmas movie online as like a cool, clever, quirky nerd observation for like 10 plus years soo it's a very played out thing that really doesn't need to be pointed out anymore. anyone who makes a big point to talk about Die Hard as a christmas movie also is like that dude that only ever looked at the default subs on reddit and is super into bacon and impact font. it's like a normie internet person thing to say