• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of it is just superhero fatigue. It's just stale at this point, and since they all have to be connected to some bigger universe, it gets REALLY old. And almost no one major ever dies, which makes each action sequence have zero tension.

Oct 25, 2017
Act 3 is the cgi explosion fest of the century with no emotional stakes or character development. I've nearly fallen asleep to every Marvel third act. That's not an exaggeration, I feel the sleepiness coming on every time.

Age of Ultron was definitely the breaking point for me. I've seen some of the other movies but they're disposable, like snack food. Even worse was GOTG2; it was so mean and violent, I really disliked it. A very foul and nasty world it had created.

I'm looking forward to Thor Ragnorok though for that Taika Watiti. I'll also see Black Panther because it sounds like it bucks the trend enough to interest me.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy them and I think in many ways, they're getting better. But there's also this undercurrent of similarity to them that is even more noticable when we're getting three or four of them a year and they're arguably the biggest releases.

Of course they'd have similarities, they're produced by the same studio and have to exist in the same universe. I just think it's more pronounced due to the frequency and lack of good competition.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Because they almost all have the same awful dialogue that makes the characters impossible to feel empathy for

Everybody's written like some jerk

Superheroes who say witty one liner zingers, and then never get into any real danger because they are so cool and badass

Its so cheesy and never funny

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoy nearly all the MCU films in theaters, but they rarely stick with me.

Though on a superficial level I love seeing comic book characters I read when I was younger come to life on the big screen.

This is where I'm at.

Particularly with Dr. Strange... The movie was fine. I don't remember any of it. They're all starting to blend.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because they almost all have the same awful dialogue that makes the characters impossible to feel empathy for

Everybody's written like some jerk

Superheroes who say witty one liner zingers, and then never get into any real danger because they are so cool and badass

Its so cheesy and never funny
Black Panther didn't have much of this!

Oct 25, 2017
Gordita Beach
I started thinking also my problems with these movies might be on a personal level. I'm getting annoyed my friends only want to see superhero movies and anytime I make suggestions for something different they shoot them down and I end up going myself.

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched an MCU movie since....IM3 I think? I actually liked that one but I've never really felt like I needed to watch any of the movies despite hearing good things about them. Thor Ragnarok and Black Panther have been the first ones to really 'stand out' to me.

Supervlieg

CEO at Little Chicken
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
To be honest I can't remember a single storyline. I do remember some fragments and set pieces but I can't for the life of me explain what the context was. I Would say they simply don't resonate with me. I could go a good few years without a superhero movie.

Last edited:

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Black Panther didn't have much of this!
Yep, thank goodness. I hate how Marvel movies are just a rapid-fire assault of terrible snarky quips. So glad Black Panther didn't have that. And the characters were genuinely likable.

To be honest I can't remember a single storyline. I do remember some fragments and set pieces but I can't for the life of me explain what the context was. I Would say they simply don't resonres with me. I could go a good few years without a superhero movie.
I've seen the Captain America and Avengers movies multiple times and I have no memory at all of what happened in them. There was a red-faced dude, there was a part where Cap flexed while holding a helicopter, there was a part in Civil War where everyone fought. That's all I got.

Iron Man building his first suit is still easily the best story beat in the MCU I think

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Saw Black Panther two days ago and Thor yesterday.

Both film are dealing with some of the same themes.

The loss of their father, a member of their family coming back for the thrones. Both even have that dream sequence where they talk with their deceased father.

The similarities are obvious.

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
There's zero consequence in the Marvel U which makes it hard to care about someone who isn't in any real danger in an intergalactic fight. I don't think there needs to be constant death on screen but I wouldn't mind at least a scene where one person breaks down because the reality of the situation they are in is actually getting to them. It's not like any of the Avengers have said I just can't deal with this anymore and opt to give up. Nope, everyone just needs a pep talk and maybe punch a little harder. Hard to worry about anything when no one on screen really seems to concerned.

When these movies work for me is when they stop trying to play up the drama and just have some fun with what's going on.

Also I should add that they are moving in a direction Im enjoying more. Had fun with Ragnorak, thought it was dumb fun. And Black Panther was the first one that felt like it had something to say and really used the themes of the narrative effectively.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw Black Panther two days ago and Thor yesterday.

Both film are dealing with some of the same themes.

The loss of their father, a member of their family coming back for the thrones. Both even have that dream sequence where they talk with their deceased father.

The similarities are obvious.
Isn't it a strength that the movies cover similar topics on the most superficial level but feel completely different and cover different themes?

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't it a strength that the movies cover similar topics on the most superficial level but feel completely different and cover different themes?

But they don't cover different themes and they are similar. They're only different on the most superficial level, ie settings and set pieces. The core of what's driving the movie in both is more or less the same.

The Maestro

Feb 12, 2018
Sorry for the thread resurrection, I was waiting for my account to be verified. First time poster, long time lurker.

One thing that's beginning to bother me about these movies is... the weight. I'm not talking about emotional weight, or gravitas (though that argument could be made). I'm talking about physical weight, specifically in the action scenes.

These movies many times tend to forego weighty practical effects, in favor of floaty CGI fluff. In my opinion this really hurts action scenes.

I have 2 examples of this - one good and one bad. Both of these scenes are from Civil War (3/4ths of a fantastic movie)

Good:
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Note the weight in this scene. it makes each impact feel substantial, powerful. Overall I love all the action in the apartment raid scene. The Russo brothers really know how to make a powerful action scene....

Until the airport....

Bad:
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Floaty, weightless, garbage. Each hit feels completely inconsequential.

Yes, I'm aware its a super hero movie and to expect realistic physicality is wrong. Even still, I think the scenes with gravity and weight are far more satisfying than those without. Unfortunately I see far more action scenes that are impractical, over-choreographed, and floaty.

Black panther was a great movie but suffered from this in its "big" action scenes. Both the chase and the final fight were really bad in my opinion. It's a shame because the smaller scale one on one fighting was superb. T'challa's fights against Killmonger and M'baku felt great.

So yeah, for me a lot of the blandness is actually coming from the action.