• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
from the thread talking about his podcast people in resetera still post shit like this and try to point out his mental fitness or mental decline as these people want to point out.

Considering Biden's apparent difficulty forming coherent sentences (that quote is so so bad), a podcast seems like a bad idea.

You always see someone post in a thread something like that, trying to get a low blow on Biden as just because he has a disability he should be less of a person.
He's always suffered from a stuttering disability and stuff like that should be stopped.

Some have been quick to question Biden's mental fitness, hinting at a possible age-related cognitive decline (he just turned 77 years old), but it's important to consider that many of those missteps could have been caused by his lifelong struggle with a speech impediment.

NYU speech pathologist Eric S. Jackson explains, "Stuttering can be thought of as a neurobiological 'glitch' — broadly speaking, the neural processes that are involved in speech, at times, don't function like those in non-stuttering speakers. The glitches manifest themselves as intermittent and somewhat unpredictable interruptions in speech, typically repetitions of syllables or audible/inaudible prolongations of sounds. The speaker knows precisely what he or she wants to say, but in that moment, their body temporarily prevents them from producing speech."

Stuttering is recognized as a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act. While Biden's verbal missteps don't cast him any favors on the debate floor, just him being a person with a speech impediment running for the highest office in the country is a powerful reminder for young people who may feel limited by their disabilities.

"If I could share one piece of advice with all of those struggling with a stutter, it would be this: When you commit yourself to a goal and when you persevere in the face of struggle, you will discover new strengths and skills to help you overcome not only this challenge, but future life challenges as well. I promise you — you have nothing to be ashamed of, and you have every reason to be proud," Biden penned in a 2015 letter to the Stuttering Foundation of America. Article

I myself stutter slightly, usually when I get really nervous, It's embarrassing because I notice it but I try to keep on going because that's just who I am.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I agree. It's incredibly cruel. I expect it from Trumpers and Republicans, but not from people who supposedly are against them. Regardless, Joe has done amazingly well in overcoming this and I think more people need to be called out for it.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I wasn't talking about a stutter, I was talking about carrying a coherent thought through a logically structured sentence, as the quote I mentioned makes clear.

He wasn't stuttering, he was meandering through a bunch of different ideas and then trailing off without actually saying anything about any of them. This is the quote in question:

I know it sounds corny, but I'm so damn proud to be an American. Look at how people are coming together in this country. After—being—after appealing to their prejudices for three years and you know, that folks from that part of the world is not a good person, and we don't want anybody Muslim, we don't want this, we don't want that divi—look what they're doing. You have these first responders showing up and going into homes and taking people out into ambulances. You watch the things that are spontaneously happening. Thank God the networks are putting them on television.

I mean, what? His thoughts are all over the place. It has nothing to do with a stutter.

You are quite literally taking my quote out of context, so thanks for that.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who had a bad stutter for the majority of my life and it only got better/basically gone now yeah that particularl aspect ain't cool to mock.

I might joke about it with friends and tell them I'm fine with it now, but it's still 100% the most uncomfortable topic of my life as I was bullied and mocked for it for the longest time.

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree. It's incredibly cruel. I expect it from Trumpers and Republicans, but not from people who supposedly are against them. Regardless, Joe has done amazingly well in overcoming this and I think more people need to be called out for it.
The worst is just because he isn't perfect when it comes to speaking, these people believe that you shouldn't be able to speak at all.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
This has been brought up as a way to shut down concerns about his mental wellbeing, and every time I tell people to go watch clips of him during the Obama years. He spoke clearly and confidently then. This isn't his stutter, at least not all of it

Also, I only act like he's less of a person because of the credible sexual assault allegations against him

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
At least for me, when I comment on his recent issues, it has nothing to do with a stutter. It sounds like a person who literally has trouble forming coherent sentences, not that he has trouble verbalizing them. He sounds like a lot of 77 year olds do. None of this was an issue when he was with Obama, he was sharp as hell then, especially in those initial debates

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
That's the least of the issues people have with him, obviously. Bit taken in isolation, yes, stuttering can take many forms... people just assume it's just like what you see in popular media.

Evo Shandor

Oct 29, 2017
As a Canadian, I have no bias here. I look at videos of Joe Biden from before (like his debate in 2012) and look at his performances now and cannot think that there is not something else going on there other than a speech impediment. He meanders, he goes to non-sequitors, he is not the same person he was then. I have seen similar things happen to my elderly relatives. Something is going on.

This is the same with Trump. Watch videos of him from the early 2000's and the 90's and it's a completely different person. He was always stupid but his speed of delivery, his clarity, his annunciation is significantly better.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
User banned (1 week): ableist rhetoric
People stutter and absolutely no one should be cruel and pick on them.
No debate. You're right there.

But...there's clearly something else going with his brain. It's not a stutter, it's not a slip up with words. He just straight up looks lost for awhile and then becomes, by political standards, fucking hostile to whoever he's talking to. Telling them not to vote for him and vote for trump.

No one should be belittled and insulted for their affectations. But uhhhhhhh he might be entering dementia. Doesn't make him a bad person. Just shouldn't be president.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
It's the same with Trump kind of. Everyone is such a champion against bodyshaming on era but when it comes to trump they do that a lot. And yeah fuck Trump but you know.. i would attack him on a level that doesn't make me look like an hypocrit. Its not that we lack other stuff to make fun of with this guy.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This has been brought up as a way to shut down concerns about his mental wellbeing, and every time I tell people to go watch clips of him during the Obama years. He spoke clearly and confidently then. This isn't his stutter, at least not all of it
Agreed. The stutter is being used as a way to protect him from actual questions about his current mental well being. Biden has always struggled with his stutter, and yes he was known to make gaffes somewhat regularly, but it's night and day how he was during the Obama presidency with how he is now.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
"less of a person" seems like an exaggeration about what they're conclusion of him is

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Please do not create threads in response to other posters. If you feel there is an issue that requires moderation, please use the report function.

Status
Not open for further replies.