• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I swear so many people I know and encounter out in public speak a good few notches louder than "normal", I find it really draining for prolonged periods. Not sure if people have hearing problems or what.

Or maybe I just have really sensitive hearing? Hmmm.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The worst is people on the phone in public, like the bus. Holy shit people just don't give a shit.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'M NOT LOUD, YOU'RE THE ONE WHISPERING

But seriously, I hate it too. My fiancé is used to speaking loud because her mom's hearing isn't perfect, so she sometimes automatically does it with me as well until I point it out. My parents can also be obnoxiously loud, both in person and on the phone. I guess I'm more reserved and private of a person because I don't enjoy people not involved in my discourse hear every word I say, so I keep the volume accordingly.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
It really bugs me. People around here walk around shouting into their phones, I can hear them from inside my house,
And it's even worse on the train, no matter the time of day several loud conversations will be going on around me, in several languages. It's an intolerable barrage of noise that even my earphones can't drown out.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm not even sure how they speak so loud.
It hurts when I raise my voice beyond normal volume for more than a few minutes. Attempting to speak to people in a bar or similar environment is pretty much impossible.
The worst is people on the phone in public, like the bus. Holy shit people just don't give a shit.
and this is especially annoying because it makes no sense
you can speak normally into a phone because it's right in your face, there's no need to speak up

I have a neighbour that likes to sit outside and practically yell into her phone
the whole block gets to know her day to day business
why

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
Was in downtown San Francisco late last night and there were two people holding a conversation while standing on opposite ends of a street block. Almost too impressive to be annoying

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
tenor.gif

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I can't fucking hear shit. I'm always telling people to speak louder. You can definitely hear me like 2 aisles over in a super market

ara

Oct 26, 2017
My girlfriend talks super fucking loud in the mornings for some reason. Or maybe I'm just sensitive to noise in the mornings. Either way I keep telling her to tone it down a bit cause my ears genuinely hurt a bit lol.

Otherwise loud people never seem to really bother me. Unless we're at work and I'm trying to concentrate.

Mar 29, 2018
Upbringing and genes, in my experience.

You will pick up your parents speaking patterns, which vary hugely household to household. E.g. loudly, quickly, not at all, differently during arguments, differently at different times. Differently on phone, differently in person, differently to "servers" or whathaveyou.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Because people are obnoxious and only care about their own self and dont care about whats going on or who is around them.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
It blows my mind sometimes that people on my street sometimes shriek at their wives/husbands/children in the most hideous voices and seem unaware of what they sound like. Like, at some point you hear yourself, right?

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
It really doesn't annoy me but when you are dealing with urban noise you sometimes just have to raise your voice a little.

F-Pina

Nerd Monkeys
Verified
Nov 3, 2017
Lisbon
It's a problem more frequent in big cities, I guess?
Here in Lisbon with the noise from the city and the mix of people from all over the world, it's usual to get the occasional family tourists speaking loud, or the group of teenagers going to the beach listening to music very loudly (on a crappy speaker from a phone), etc. The weirdest for me is how some people talk on their phones, they hold it in front of them, screen facing up, and talk directly to the mic while wearing headphones. Whats up with that? They forgot how to use the phones? And since these people are the ones normally talking hours on end, is it more comfortable to hold it that way? Is it fashionable :p ?

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like it when people talk loud because I'm a little hard of hearing and honestly, slow lol. I think I understand/process what people are saying more when they're a little loud.

Also If I'm anywhere noisy like in a vehicle you can forget about trying to talk to me in a normal voice. Can't hear it.

I do get annoyed by loud phone people though that need to make sure everyone a block over knows their business.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they have a hearing problem. What they think is normal volume is actually loud

Ragnite

Oct 27, 2017
Probably my biggest pet peeve. I hate waking up to people shouting on their phones.

RetroCCN

Oct 26, 2017
I do it because I'm half deaf and I need people to match my tone so that I am able to hear what they're saying.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Huge pet peeve for me as well.

Talk all you want but at least TRY to keep it down a bit in public/trains/busses etc.

Talking loudly on the phone or watching videos with phone speakers on for extended periods of time is even worse.

My guess is these especially loud people are just that type of personality (something between extroverted and being downright narcissist). They are actively behaving in a way to present themselves in public and get noticed at all times.

Complaining is often futile since these personality types get their kicks out of the attention you give them.

My advice for regular commutes: get noise-cancelling headphones. They won't drown out the worst cases but most of the noise.

Edit: obviously not talking about people with hearing disability here.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I love it when people put their call on speaker and then literally yell into the phone they're holding at arm's length. I get that you're in public and whatever but jfc.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm American and I have trouble controlling my voice some times. It's kind of unconscious for me, plus I'm a prick

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
A lot of people love the sound of their own voice and are assured that others really want to hear what they have to say, including all strangers.

As an introvert, I find being in public around these people fairly intolerable for anything other than brief periods.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I'm just a loud person and don't have many of the qualities people are bringing up in this thread. Feels kind of weird to know what kind of assumptions are being made about me because of the way I speak.

Yourfawthaaa

Nov 2, 2017
Bronx, NY
I wonder the same thing too.

I'm quiet and soft spoken for the most part but man people that are loud trigger me. -Especially when they are right in your ear.