• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jack Bonjour

Jan 15, 2018
I'm 6'5" (195 cm) in a country where the average height isn't that high (Basque Country), so I stand out in the crowd quite a bit.

If women are actually more attracted to tall men, guess I'm the exception to the rule.

Oct 25, 2017
Had a few occasions where people wouldn't believe me about my height because they thought they were around the same but were clearly shorter. People can get weird if they think they're being called out on their height.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I admit I'm not sure I grasp what this thread is about. In what circumstances does your height come up that isn't immediately obvious by simply looking at you? I'm pretty tiny for a guy (1m70cm, or 5'6") but I've never even considering lying about it, what would be the point?

Enlighten me, Era.

Pelican

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like I must be suffering from height privilege as I never see this as a thing happening in the wild. I assume this like a tinder/blind date issue women face when meeting men?

Khoryos

Nov 5, 2019
I admit I'm not sure I grasp what this thread is about. In what circumstances does your height come up that isn't immediately obvious by simply looking at you? I'm pretty tiny for a guy (1m70cm, or 5'6") but I've never even considering lying about it, what would be the point?

Enlighten me, Era.
I think Tinder, mostly?

Deleted member 290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I've never felt the need to lie about how obviously short I am, I can understand why some might, what with the shallow cuntishness of the online dating scene and the whole "manlet" thing (it's just a joke, guy, I'm implying you're somehow deficient, flawed and inferior due to a generic trait you have no control over HAHAHA).

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
That was my guess, but one would assume the ruse would be obvious once they meet in person?
(I'm just now picturing a romantic comedy scene where they couple agree to meet at a restaurant, the guy is already seated, and comes with increasingly wacky excuses not to stand up).
Depends on the height difference between the man and a woman. If she's 5' tall, she probably can't tell the difference between someone 5'10 and 6' tall. But if she's 6' tall I'm sure she would notice.

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
Insecurities, from both men and women.

As tallness is considered attractive, many men lie about their height (within a range) so they can be perceived as taller and more masculine. This is specially true for average sized men, who are 'close' to being tall but not really there.

Really short men don't really need to lie because they're still short after the fact (I'm 164cm tall, I could lie and say I'm 166 or 167 and most people wouldn't notice, but the gain is minimal because I'm still very short)

In case of women, it is true that most prefer taller partners. That's ok when it's just a preference.

But there's a subset of very short women who actually want/need a VERY tall partner, not just taller. Also, due to personal insecurities. They compensate their perceived lack of height with that of their partner's.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
5b2b8a9e9209b.jpeg

I've been asked many times on dating apps about my height, and have even had situations of instant rejection when I say I'm 5'7" lol. That is why.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
I'm 6'3 and I can't say there have ever been any downsides. In high school people would say "oh my god you're so tall!" or ask "how's the weather up there?" way to much because I was this tall quite young. I never had an issue with flying economy (AU to US), I make it work. I have more issues with the back seats in cars.

The only time I really feel tall is when little old ladies ask me to reach things in the supermarket.

I'm 5'6"... My current GF is taller then me by an inch. You should see some of the looks when shes wearing heels HAHA

I don't get it, but whatever. I know that there's people who are absolutely stuck on height and that's a real shame.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Insecurity because of the way height is perceived. I used to lie about being a couple inches taller so I wasn't perceived to be some kind of ''manlet''.

I'm 5'8.3, it's all good lol, the internet shit just messes with you. If you were online all the time, one would think that if you aren't 6 foot you're doomed.
I don't think that's the case irl at all.

The fact that I used to worry about this shit was stupid af. No one should.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Because otherwise you'd get swiped away.

Saves the bother with people who are weird about specific numbers, though. It also seems more of a dealbreaker to get someone interested online than IRL, where my 173cm ass gets hit on by women as tall or taller. On Tinder most girls who say they are >170 also say that they demand 180 dudes 🤷‍♀️

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 6'5" so I've never had to lie about my height and so my perspective on this is from a outsider.

I think part of it is because people idealize us tall folks when it isn't all roses for us. Shopping for clothes and just things revolving around comfort are a bitch for us. The world is a much more expensive place for us sometimes.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
If I let everyone that's 5'10 or 5'9" have their way and lie about their height then I'd be bumped up to 6' or a little taller because we can't all be 5'11". I'm actually 5'11" as measured bare foot year after year at the doctor's office. In their defense though I am likely over 6' when I wear some boots.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I've seen women around my height and shorter (167cm here) that don't want to date with anyone shorter than 180cm.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish we didn't live in a society where this happened. But I understand why it does.

please use this thread as a place to share your anecdotes related to this.
why does it matter?

i can't think of a situation where someone's ability to grab things off the top shelf have been a true factor.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I've been in a relationship since before the rise of dating apps so I don't know if this is an universal experience, but a close friend once told me that he has to lie about his height in there to get matches, even though he's perfectly comfortable with his height.

He's 5'8", but apparently since everyone on Tinder lies about that crap, putting 5'8" in your Tinder profile must mean you're 4'9" or something.

Anomander

Oct 27, 2017
Why do people lie about their age so much? I've seen people on Tinder that claim to be in their late 20s or 30s that look like they're in their mid 40s.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 6'5" so I've never had to lie about my height and so my perspective on this is from a outsider.

I think part of it is because people idealize us tall folks when it isn't all roses for us. Shopping for clothes and just things revolving around comfort are a bitch for us. The world is a much more expensive place for us sometimes.
there's a point of diminishing returns. Most people are not EXTREMELY tall which is what I consider 6'5ish. But being a short person has detrimental effects not only in relationships these days, which is why so many lie about it, but google the numerous studies done that show that taller men are richer and more successful. Taller men in higher positions in a lot of corporations, demand more "executive presence" naturally, and so on and so forth. The perception of the taller male is that they are stronger, smarter, more confident, etc.

So yes being REALLY tall has discomfort implications but being short is a goddamn problem for a man in todays society in just about every aspect other than comfort. Also short slim dudes probably have an impossible time finding clothes as well.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I'm actually 5 feet and 9.5 inches but I always tell people I'm 5'9. I'm sure with shoes on it's 5'10, but I really feel icky about lying about my height for some reason so I always say it's 5'9.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
It's funny I'm 6'2 1/2 and nowadays I really don't feel all that tall, especialy compared to when I was younger. I get to see many people about the same height as I am, and quite a bit that are actually taller than I am.

That said, I feel like I am in the right spot. I can drive my ND miata comfortably with the seat backed all the way out lol

Khoryos

Nov 5, 2019
Likewise, and whilst I do enjoy looming at people I'd trade it in happily to not hit my head on quite so many things!

Funny tall-person story - there's a light fitting in the kitchen of my new flat that just doesn't work. You flip the switch, and the other light comes on, but no matter what you do to the bulbs this one fitting just doesn't come on.
My dad visited last week, and he's a fair bit shorter than me - imagine my surprise when I enter the kitchen to find that light working!

Turns out it's on a separate switch, that's directly in the overhang of a wall-mounted cabinet and completely invisible to me from every standing angle in the entire room.
People don't build things for tall people.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
On dating apps you definitely see a preference for men who are 6' or above. I remember the first time I saw, "You know what I call a guy under 6'2"? A friend."

I'm 5'11".

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I am a 167cm woman, and the two men that I have/have had a serious relationship with are both around 175/179cm tall. That has never bothered me, it actually makes it more practical for kissing sessions, than if they had been taller than that. Also taller men have never ever made me feel safe in anyway. And I'd date Elijah Wood or Daniel Radcliffe in a fucking heartbeat. Anyway, height is not a huge component in my choice of partners, is what I'm saying. It's rather trivial, I have many other criteria to fill that are much more important, like: Are they an asshole? Do they have empathy? Do we have similar moral/ethics/political/social worldviews? And so on.

Last edited:

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 6'3 and I've encountered more negatives from being tall. Yes I can reach that high object but I'd give up a few inches for some leg room.

Yeeeeah, needing a little more leg room is worse than reading or being told you aren't a real man cause some arbitrary height line you didn't pass due to no fault on your part.

This went from short people trying to explain why one might like about heigh to tall people in here and saying how life is a little inconvenient for them. This is always the issue with height threads.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Discrimination against shorter men on dating apps is among the most disgusting things I see every week. It's insane that anyone thinks that height has a causal relationship with financial success or sexual prowess.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
I think because it's hard to tell how tall someone is just by looking at them? You would just think six feet as long as they are close. I am 5'5 which is not short compared to a lot of girls I know.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Depends on the height difference between the man and a woman. If she's 5' tall, she probably can't tell the difference between someone 5'10 and 6' tall. But if she's 6' tall I'm sure she would notice.

I see, that makes sense I guess. The whole thing about ruling out people from arbitrary numbers (rather than, say, eyeballing, which may still be shallow but at least makes intuitive sense) is weird to me, hahah.

I'm 5'6"... My current GF is taller then me by and inch. You should see some of the looks when shes wearing heels HAHA

I don't get it, but whatever. I know that there's people who are absolutely stuck on height and that's a real shame.

My SO is about my height or perhaps a few mm taller (she's tall for a Spanish woman and I'm short for a guy), so I guess we get those looks too. It's kind of nice not having to fetch things in tall shelves for her, though. :)

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually 5'-11 3/4", but I just say I'm 6' most of the time. Then people are like "you are 6'?" and I have to be like, wellll actually.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Discrimination against shorter men on dating apps is among the most disgusting things I see every week. It's insane that anyone thinks that height has a causal relationship with financial success or sexual prowess.

I think you have it quite backwards; attraction doesn't have anything to do with "thinking". You can't really fault anyone for what they're attracted to; it's especially fruitless to try to model what their reasoning may be, because there's no "reasoning" to begin with.

Kainé

Oct 26, 2017
No matter what everyones says but excluding people for dating because race is racist (race is not a preference, fuck that).
Excluding people for height is being a shitty person.

In general, if someone excludes you for whatever thing you can't control, that person is dumb.

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From my experience, some girls are really not into short guys. That's probably the situation i can imagine people might lie about it

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 6'3 and I've encountered more negatives from being tall. Yes I can reach that high object but I'd give up a few inches for some leg room.

yeah i'm 6'2" and airplane travel is a nightmare.

I visit China around once a year (wife is half chinese and has lots of relatives there) and while there are tons of gwailo (foreigners) there now and natives have gotten taller due to diets, 20+ years ago it was always hilarious. I was literally the giant in the land of the Lilliputians, people would just stop me to take pictures or touch me, you could find me instantly in any crowd, etc. I'm not even that tall, like in Netherlands I feel like the short one. There were tons of facilities and buildings and stuff in China 20+ years ago that were a nightmare for anyone over 5'8" though, like literally having to duck all the time or seats everywhere not designed for anyone that tall and never finding clothes that fit anywhere.

and yeah dating in the west is crazy, when I was young so many women would tell me they only date guys 6' or higher. Women frequently lie about their height too, never really understood why I don't know a single guy who really cared about it. I don't really understand why women wear heels though either, shit looks uncomfortable as hell but my wife loves her shoes like the way I love video games. She's tried to explain to me it makes her feel more feminine and attractive but to me heels always are "stripper work shoes", she hits me when I say that though. I figure it must be one of those things women look at each other about, I never look at what a woman is wearing on her feet but I've been told women judge men a LOT on their shoes.