• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Some of you posters have fucked up morals. Of course it makes sense to feel more for children even if you don't share any dna. I just can't.

Phrozenflame500

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
children have higher expected future earnings then adults, so we're mourning not just the child but their tax dollars too

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
What always gets me is when you are watching the news and they announce a tragedy that took place in another country (eg plane crash/terrorism, etc). And they announce that a certain number of victims were from the same country as you.

Is it now supposed to be more of a tragedy because those people are from the same country? The phrasing of it always rubbed me the wrong way -- if something is a tragedy then it is a tragedy regardless of nationality.

...but kids losing their lives I definitely get though, there is something particularly sad about kids losing their life before they've had a chance to truly live any of it.
This is a news thing relating to audience sympathy for 'people like us'. This article is relevant to the point in the thread, as it covers both overseas deaths and children.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/380898/

Similarly, malaria is one of the greatest killers of people on the planet, killing ~3000 children a day,

https://www.unicef.org/health/files/health_africamalaria.pdf

but because much of it is in sub-Saharan Africa it gets less coverage than a handful of urban westerners dying in a local, comparatively small loss of life, because those urban westerners will buy more papers and watch more news about the latter that they can relate to, whereas millions of African kids dying over decades from something so huge no longer has 'news value' despite the great strides made by researchers, medics etc in the field.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
No. I'd be more likely to try and save the child, but not because it would be more of a tragedy if they died. The adult is more likely to be able to help themselves, more likely to be able to wait for more help for a little longer, in any scenario I can think of. There is a chance if I go for the child that both can be saved, in some scenarios.

But regardless of who is helped, if the other one dies the "level" of tragedy is the same to me.
It is also more likely that the adult would be like "wtf are you doing save my kid"

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
1. biology tells us to protect the vulnerable up-and-comers
2. when a child dies the potential for all joys they would have experienced in life dies with them

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Raw potential. Selfish adults can turn these kids into anything they want. That's worth more than a stubborn old ruined adult.

seriously though, that's quite the alarming topic title. Did you have a nice childhood?

Osan912

Avenger
Sep 22, 2018
Super unpopular opinion. I got your back OP makes no difference to me still a tragedy either way.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'm morbidly curious to know the answer to the Sandy Hook question.

I am too, but I'm not sure if my brain could handle the answer because I am still just amazed that the dude is doubling down on the ignorance after it he has had 4 pages of people trying to point out why he is wrong.

Like a kid with his fingers in his ears at this point.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Having worked as a paramedic it usually hits the hardest when young people die. Not necessarily just children, but generally people who still had their whole life ahead of them.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
My theory on the OP is that he's just wired differently from everyone else in here telling him that he's wrong.

The majority of people seem to naturally feel more empathy towards children. They don't need to be told this, and they don't need to be told why, they just naturally develop an understanding that children are innocent and need to be nurtured/protected/cared for. I am one of those people, and yes, if it came down to it, I would prioritize the life of a child/adolescent/teen above that of an adult, and my daughter's life above my own.

But some people are just not like this. They think differently. And they don't necessarily understand everyone else's thinking, or the justification behind it, possibly in large part due to the fact that it's largely unexplainable. It's an aspect of human nature rather than rational thought. As an example, I would not attempt to explain this concept to a robot. I don't think the robot would "get it."

I guess what I'm saying is, the OP isn't evil or inhuman, he's just different. He also is against elephant poaching.

Talk about condesending. Bring a parent doesn't make you some enlightened being you know?

Actually, being a parent allows you to better understand what it's like to be a parent, and to be in charge of protecting your children. It's a massive shift in your priorities. I honestly believe that people who are not parents cannot truly understand how this feels. So, in some ways...it kind of does?

D.Dragoon

Mar 2, 2018
I am too, but I'm not sure if my brain could handle the answer because I am still just amazed that the dude is doubling down on the ignorance after it he has had 4 pages of people trying to point out why he is wrong.

Like a kid with his fingers in his ears at this point.
I am putting words in their mouth put reading OP's post, they would think that Sandy Hook is a tragedy but ask why for example is it more tragic than the Vegas shooting. It is pretty clear why most people would think that one is more tragic than the other.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Children are literally to continuation of our species. Its hardwired into us to protect them above all else. Of course we find it more tragic when kids die.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Holy shit, does this really need explaining? I'm not a parent and I don't even like children but I can list down several reasons why (all have been explained by the sane members of Era)

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Apparently it's normal to not be more sad when children die though
I....

cz2GHOe.gif

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
This thread has me Google searching personality disorders to explain the OP question and follow up questions.

Nerdyone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man, if you can't imagine the pain a parent goes through losing a child, then I really feel for you. If my son died I don't think I would ever recover

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
I'm honestly shocked that this dumb thread is still open

Status
Not open for further replies.