• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Crocodilelogic

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nah, I've met too many queer folks try to erase us as "predators" or "cishets who try to coopt queer identities" to believe this isn't malicious. I don't buy it in the slightest.

I personally don't have any problem with asexuals being included in the gay community. But I can kind of see why some people find it confusing.

as a gay man I can be fired tomorrow for no reason other than being gay and have no legal recourse.

How often are asexual people really discriminated against? like you aren't getting fired for not wanting to have sex or face the type of hatred gays and trans people face on a daily basis.

like I said I personally have no problem with including ace people in the gay community.

You seem super hostile though and I'm not sure what you mean by the queer community trying to erase you and label you as predators?

Also asexuals are a very large group do we consider ace people who only find the opposite sex attractive as part of the lgbt community?

my understanding of asexuality is you can find people attractive and be loving but you aren't into the sexual component.

So let's say I'm ace and as a male I'm only interested in non sexual relationsips with women should I still be considered part of the lgbt community?

This is why I Personally just say fuck it and if people want to identify with our community and are respectful great. Sexuality is so complicated I feel like people put a bit to much stock into the labels.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
I personally don't have any problem with asexuals being included in the gay community. But I can kind of see why some people find it confusing.

as a gay man I can be fired tomorrow for no reason other than being gay and have no legal recourse.

How often are asexual people really discriminated against? like you aren't getting fired for not wanting to have sex or face the type of hatred gays and trans people face on a daily basis.

like I said I personally have no problem with including ace people in the gay community.

You seem super hostile though and I'm not sure what you mean by the queer community trying to erase you and label you as predators?

Also asexuals are a very large group do we consider ace people who only find the opposite sex attractive as part of the lgbt community?

my understanding of asexuality is you can find people attractive and be loving but you aren't into the sexual component.

So let's say I'm ace and as a male I'm only interested in non sexual relationsips with women should I still be considered part of the lgbt community?

This is why I Personally just say fuck it and if people want to identify with our community and are respectful great. Sexuality is so complicated I feel like people put a bit to much stock into the labels.
There´s a lot of actual discrimination with ace people

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Can't remember if it came from the Hard Times or the Onion. But I remember there was an article that came from one of them during pride month that went along the lines of "straight teenage girl comes to terms with making pride month about her". Or something along those lines. Was a hysterical article and it reminded me of this thread.

now as to the premise of this thread yeah I have heard some people say it stands for ally and I usually correct them. Almost always comes from people that are really sympathetic to the cause and want some form of representation in it haha. I try to remind those people that's its not our thing and we need to let them have it.

OP
OP
Xaszatm

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

LGBT+ has always been the umbrella community for people who have non-heteronormative gender and sexual preferences. As such, Asexuality belongs in this banner.

In addition, discrimination of asexuality does exist. It's not a competition on who is the most discriminated among the community.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
So the term Queer alone is a far better catchall than this increasingly belabored acronym

So my personal relationship with sex, gender, and sexuality is pretty complex and would require several labels and lengthy explanations in order for me to be explicit. So I personally love the word queer as a general label because it comes with less assumptions usually.

But it does have a long history as a slur, and I can't blame anyone for not wanting to identify with the term.

Nov 1, 2017
I can honestly say that I had never encountered this before and wasn't aware it was a thing. Can't recall any friends or acquaintances that are a part of the community mentioning it either. If you're not part of the community don't insert yourself into it just be useful and help.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
So the term Queer alone is a far better catchall than this increasingly belabored acronym
While for many the term queer has been reclaimed, it can still be very painful for others, and it's important to be mindful of that. I know plenty of folks who don't like it, wouldn't necessarily identify as it, but understand why fellow LGBTQ+ members use it.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Wait 'til cishets learn about demisexuals

"Um no the D stands for uh... Dear friend of the gays. That's me."

Crocodilelogic

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
LGBT+ has always been the umbrella community for people who have non-heteronormative gender and sexual preferences. As such, Asexuality belongs in this banner.

In addition, discrimination of asexuality does exist. It's not a competition on who is the most discriminated among the community.

I didn't say it was a competition I don't play that game. But it's a bit disingenuous to act like it's anywhere even close to the level the trans or even gay community faces.

I always assumed ace people in the community are also attracted to the same sex or both romantically so of course they are part of the community.

OP
OP
Xaszatm

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't say it was a competition I don't play that game. But it's a bit disingenuous to act like it's anywhere even close to the level the trans or even gay community faces.

I always assumed ace people in the community are also attracted to the same sex or both romantically so of course they are part of the community.

Tell that to the asexuals who are forcibly raped because "you just haven't found the right one" or "I can convert you".

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Genuinely never heard this before, but that's awesome some people as so quick to erase asexual people :/

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I can't say I've ever heard it as 'ally,' to be honest, although I do sometimes have to think about the variants of the acronym depending on how long they get. I understand wanting to be inclusive but once you get past half a dozen letters it can quickly become awkward.

That missing indigenous women's report released here in Canada, for example, uses the acronym 2SLGBTQQIA (Two-spirit, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning, intersex and asexual). It uses it almost 40 times before even bothering to define it.

Crocodilelogic

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Tell that to the asexuals who are forcibly raped because "you just haven't found the right one" or "I can convert you".

I understand that and it's awful
not gonna play the olympics with you and tbh your posts are somewhat hostile. I don't think a productive conversation can even be had.

Like I said I don't personally have issue with ace people being included I'm not your enemy.

Are hetero romantic people considered lgbt+ Though? Like where do we draw the line ally also in the acronym it's just gotten to be too much.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
not gonna play the olympics with you and tbh your posts are somewhat hostile. I don't think a productive conversation can even be had.

Like I said I don't personally have issue with ace people being included I'm not your enemy.

Are hetero romantic people considered lgbt+ Though? Like where do we draw the line ally also in the acronym it's just gotten to be too much.
Is a straigh trans person not lgbt+ because they like the oposite sex?
Ace gets under the lgbt+ because they are not heterosexuals

Crocodilelogic

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There's that classic 'but' again.

"It's not a competition but your issues aren't really on the level of others"

I have had this said to me a million times for being a white gay man so It's seems you guys like to apply this stuff selectively. I'm not saying asexuals don't face any discrimination.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
I have had this said to me a million times for being a white gay man so It's seems you guys like to apply this stuff selectively. I'm not saying asexuals don't face any discrimination.

So no one seems to want to answer are hetero ace people also included in the lgbt community as well.
see my post right above this one

Crocodilelogic

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is a straigh trans person not lgbt+ because they like the oposite sex?
Ace gets under the lgbt+ because they are not heterosexuals

Sure and I didn't think about it that way. You can see why people can be confused though right ?

sorry if I offended anyone I see what you are saying now.

OP
OP
Xaszatm

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Hetero Romantic people? Like Asexual Heteroromantic people are a part of the LGBT community, yes.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'm not applying anything. I'm pointing out that you're making it a competition despite claiming you're not within the same line.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
I was speaking to another ace friend of mine about asexuality being part of LGBT+ community a few months ago, which he was hesistant to agree with.

I was surprised to hear him argue that aces might need to be excluded for practical reasons if it benefited the larger queer communtiy. The example he gave was that NAMBLA and beastiality are sexualities that would be politically damaging if allowed in. He also said that the public already have a slippery slope perception of queer issues, i.e., "What's next? Marrying your car?".

He didn't claim to know whether asexual inclusion was harmful to public acceptance or not, but that he would approve its exclusion if it was. Literally would rather appease bigots.
Edit: And his examples for sexualities worth excluding both involved lack of consent.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Maybe I missed this, but what is an ally in this context? As in, an ally, a friend, a person on your side?

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Weird. I have also never heard of this before. Last time I was a con, I was talking with a LGBT+ group, and they were giving out stickers. After donating, I mentioned I was straight, and they asked me if I would wear an "Ally" sticker for their group. Naturally, I said yes, so I know that's a thing. But I have never seen Ally used as the A before. (And they weren't doing that either.)

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I mean, ally is already a defined word. This adds confusion and again, my main problem is asexual erasure by those who substitute the A for Allies.

Don't you loose the point of closeted people being invisible if you put closeted there ?

We can have a version with more than one A..... we need the Triple A version of LGBT

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
I was speaking to another ace friend of mine about asexuality being part of LGBT+ community a few months ago, which he was hesistant to agree with.

I was surprised to hear him argue that aces might need to be excluded for practical reasons if it benefited the larger queer communtiy. The example he gave was that NAMBLA and beastiality are sexualities that would be politically damaging if allowed in. He also said that the public already have a slippery slope perception of queer issues, i.e., "What's next? Marrying your car?".

He didn't claim to know whether asexual inclusion was harmful to public acceptance or not, but that he would approve its exclusion if it was. Literally would rather appease bigots.
Edit: And his examples for sexualities worth excluding both involved lack of consent.
NAMBLA (that I had no idea what was so I googled and now I need a shower) and beastiality are not even close to asexuality
For sex we need consenting adults beastiality and pedofilia goes against that.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't you loose the point of closeted people being invisible if you put closeted there ?

We can have a version with more than one A..... we need the Triple A version of LGBT

Allies are not part of the LGBT community and they just can't be because that does not make any sense. If someone is a cis gay man, and they're closeted, then they're still included in the G. I don't understand this idea of someone wanting to stay closeted but openly identifying as a member of the LGBT community, just under the A for Ally.

collige

Oct 31, 2017

I'm not really sure what closeting has to do with the acronym. A closeted gay person is still gay.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Allies are not part of the LGBT community and they just can't be because that does not make any sense. If someone is a cis gay man, and they're closeted, then they're still included in the G. I don't understand this idea of someone wanting to stay closeted but openly identifying as a member of the LGBT community, just under the A for Ally.
I'm not really sure what closeting has to do with the acronym. A closeted gay person is still gay.

yeah....I guess it made more sense when was rare for straight cis people to go to pride

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
NAMBLA (that I had no idea what was so I googled and now I need a shower) and beastiality are not even close to asexuality
For sex we need consenting adults beastiality and pedofilia goes against that.
You don't need to tell me! I thought it was really bizarre that he'd use that as an example.

Plum

May 31, 2018

Excluding groups such as Asexuals from the LGBT+ community because "they aren't discriminated against enough," is, frankly, ridiculous. Alongside ignoring the discrimination that aces do face it turns the LGBT+ community from a support group defined by those within it to an anti-discrimination group defined solely by who the bigots approve of.

And as an ace myself I can say that, no, my life is not the equivalent of a straight person's life even if I'm bi-romantic and, as such, have the 'ability' to date a woman and appear straight. There's a fairly significant chance that I will die alone; I have never, and will never, be able to relate to one of the largest parts of most human lives; and the fact that I'm not in a partnership will be a financial and social burden for my entire damned life. That doesn't somehow 'go away' just because I'm not actively called out on the streets by bigots, and it's incredibly tiring seeing people try to dismiss those like me from one of the biggest support groups on the planet.