• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
I just recently got back into pc gaming and snagged a 3070. Naturally I want to compare my setup with benchmarks on the latest demanding release. Are there really magical PCs out there everywhere that perform 30-50% above benchmarks. And if so, why can't I find any videos on these magical rigs?
It depends on the GPU. My old 1070 would OC really well, within 15% of a stock 1080. The newer GPU's tend to be more boost focused as they don't have a whole lotta headroom vs the standard boosts unless you put in really beefy cooling.

With the 30 series, the only one that apparently OC's really nicely is the 3060ti that can get you to 3070ish level.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Tofer What CPU do you have paired with the 3070? I see you previously had a 1660 so I'm wondering if your system is unbalanced.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Because it stopped being about playing games long ago.
It became a dick measuring contest to see who could get the best benchmark and boast about how much money and tweaking they've done to something to get to a mythical upper-end that will always be increasing.

It's like joining a race that no one will ever finish, but boasting when you're near the front of the pack.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
OP drop his GPU and no other specs, I have a AMD Ryzen 3700x CPU, Samsung 980 500gb (main) NVME( i have another NVME 970 evo), 16gb Ram at 3600mz. with a 1060 GPU, that GPU is a bottleneck, can't find new cards so i am stuck with it until....

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on the GPU. My old 1070 would OC really well, within 15% of a stock 1080. The newer GPU's tend to be more boost focused as they don't have a whole lotta headroom vs the standard boosts unless you put in really beefy cooling.

With the 30 series, the only one that apparently OC's really nicely is the 3060ti that can get you to 3070ish level.
Modern GPUs dont even have problem of cooling, its more related to the gains being way too small to justify the OC (outside of the 5% range that some OEMs ship with). Case in point the current gen of cards barely can be OC even with super good cooling.
3060Ti OCs well because it is a faulty/binned 3070, so it can go up a bit more, but even then, not really worth it.
The 6900 seem to be handpicked 6800XT, so the 6800XT could get lucky and get a gold yield that gets close to a 6900 performance.

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
The beauty of PC gaming is that you can do whatever you want performance-wise. I've just bought Doom Eternal during the game awards sales and run it at low settings with the rez scaled down to 86% of 1080p on my 1060 because I use the RTSS scanline sync feature since I can't stand screen tearing and the input lag induced by traditional v-sync methods. I'm really happy with this setup.

Set your graphic options to achieve the experience you're looking for and forget about benchmarks.

seldead

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I've been PC gaming for over a decade and very rarely have the same performance that people with comparable GPUs and CPU report. I figured people just like to round whatever numbers they get up for the epeen.

Last edited:

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I mean people lie about everything. It's just how people live. Always lying. Always making things up. Nothing is true. It's just how they do.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW

ohitsluca

Oct 29, 2017
Just having the same GPU does not mean you will have the same performance. Most benchmarks, even for lower end GPUs, are tested with the best CPUs to avoid CPU bottlenecks influencing the test.

if the performance of your GPU is not what you expected, I would imagine your CPU is slower than what was used in that benchmark. And of course there are other factors... software, settings, RAM / storage to a lesser extent, etc

Oct 25, 2019
If the OP is being genuine with their concern and their post is actually just a roundabout way of seeking assistance with their new set up, I hope they share more information about their system as there are people on this site that are willing to help - I've put questions out on here before and received assistance, so not everyone in PC gaming is an elitist as the OP seems to imply.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
I built my first PC in nearly eight years over the course of the last six months. Hell, I had an i7 3770K paired with a 3080(before a Titan X Maxwell) as I saved and bought each piece over a couple months. Sitting on new Ryzen, nvme, some fun new additions - and you know what? It really depends on what's good for you. I was just as happy playing 4K/30/Ultra on a really old PC with a controller, as I am seeing what this new rig is capable of. Some of us are more tolerant of ever changing performance, but the tech market is always demanding. No need to inflate performance numbers, hell I'm capping games back down if RT is way too demanding. Tech is really fun right now, for all rigs.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
since people keep asking about my specs.

Rtx3070
X570 board
3700x
NVMe 4x4
32GB 3600 DDR4 - XMP enabled

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I've seen any rampant misinformation anywhere on this forum or anywhere else. Any benchmarks users post have usually been in line with their settings and hardware configurations.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
I have a 3700x 16gb of ram at 3200Hz paired with a 3080FE and on cyberpunk 2077 with everything cranked up to ultra at 1440p with DLSS on quality my frame rates fluctuate between 38 -80 fps. Most of the time being in the high 50's low 60's. I find that my values tend to be in line with benchmarks give or take a around 3-5%. If there's something really off compared to comparable benchmarks then i troubleshoot. I dunno where you're getting this off by 50% value from. If it's that typically there is something in your build that's wrong. Also, publications are typically better with benchmarking but I find anecdotally user reports aren't as good not because they're trying to fluff the numbers but rather they test a really small section. Different areas may have wildly different numbers

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
since people keep asking about my specs.

Rtx3070
X570 board
3700x
NVMe 4x4
32GB 3600 DDR4 - XMP enabled
Is all your drivers updated?
What res are you using?
Windows is updated with?
Did you check if the system have other apps running in the background or eating resources?
Which game are you testing?

OP
OP

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will take Tofer a million years to respond, so their post history says they are playing CP2077 on a 3440x1440 monitor.

Is this just a mad at Cyberpunk thread? I'm loading my sniper rifle.
Close the thread if you want. Was just my observations after browsing performance threads not specifically on Era.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Close the thread if you want. Was just my observations after browsing performance threads not specifically on Era.
The only reason I'd consider closing the thread is because you've refused/ignored the constant requests for more information, such as examples of games where you feel you are underperforming.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only reason I'd consider closing the thread is because you've refused/ignored the constant requests for more information, such as examples of games where you feel you are underperforming.
Thread was never about my pc underperforming. It was always about worse rigs outperforming benchmarks with superior hardware.

Korezo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My friend use to complain about his pc performance when we both had 2080ti, I would say games work fine for me at 4k and he would complain anything he played at 4k was unplayable and below 60. Difference was i had a 8600k-9900k and he was still stuck on a 6700k.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I think a lot of people just eye ball it so 44fps average or whatever ends up being reported as 60fps. But to be fair, smooth delivery of frames on a gsync/VRR display at around 50fps is usually pretty indistinguishable from 60. If you're using a gamepad then it's even easier to be fooled.

The other thing is that framerates can vary wildly depending on where you are in the game and what you're doing. The pros know to account for that but most people won't. So they treat performance like a bench press and give you the best case scenario.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Thread was never about my pc underperforming. It was always about worse rigs outperforming benchmarks with superior hardware.
Well... you need to give us more info. What benchmarks are you taking about? Some YouTube videos are very dishonest, but other channels are great such as hardware unboxed.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
This was a really silly thread to make without any actual examples to what you're talking about. Comments you read online about performance of a typical game almost always miss some sort of detail to explain that performance, like X GPU with Y CPU and Z RAM runs a locked 60 fps! But they don't tell you what resolution they're running at. Or any combo of those with a key component missing, and it goes vice versa as well. "X game runs terrible! Not optimized! Can't get 60 fps on a 3080!" Well, what are your settings and resolution? "Ultra, 4K, also I enabled DRS 4.0x because someone said it clears the jaggies up." Oh... well, that's an 8K resolution you're rocking there buddy.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There are some in games you expect to perform better on PC than they do, like Anthem or Cyberpunk.

But those sorts of games are the exception and not the rule. A 3070 will annihilate most games unless you're trying for 4K with RTX and limiting DLSS or something.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
It always bugged me when PC players shit on Console players, when often times their rigs are just as bad or worse than Last-Gen hardware. I get that PC's are capable of a lot, but you have to have the rig to match.. just blanketly stating, "Wow PC performs so much better than a base Xbox One, consoles are garbage", is so disingenuous on so many levels. Nobody is shaking in their boots about your GT 625 Todd.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Did you buy a gamer chair and add rgb?
I feel we are on to something here indeed. The more RGB you have the faster the FPSes. Also a gamer chair helps PC VROOM faster.

OP is as generic as shit. There can be so much variation in performance in a particular game even with similar hardware, its not funny. Hell, something as simple as not having updated motherboard bios, NVME/SSD firmware, a wrong driver version, a borked memory speed settings or many others can greatly affect performance.

Not to mention that there are so many things to tweak jn Cyberpunk, including CPU/GPU memory allocation.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
If you make a thread like this you need to explain precisely what you mean as your description is vague and left to interpretation.

Do you mean people lie sometimes or just do not notice performance issues? Either is valid but that's people in general and not solely a PC users issue.

Strange thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.