• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
I think probably many of you have seen than in recent years Nintendo has recieved a lot of criticism for the handling of their first party legacy content on the Switch, because in previous console thay have the virtual console line that allowed players to buy games from old consoles, while now on the Switch they only have a service for NES and SNES games, not considering any of the other consoles so far. Virtual Console wasn´t perfect, but because of that the idea was to made it better, not worse, and for that reason as I said there have been multiple articles or Youtube videos with thousands of views about this and overall people have just not stopped complaining about this

However, if you look at Sony, I think they have been just as bad as Nintendo in that sense in recent years, since they had on PS3,PSP and Vita the PS1 classics line of games, that was basically a Virtual Console but for PS1 games, and on PS3 thay also had a line of PS2 classics, as well as many remastered collection of games of this console; it wasn't perfect since plenty of games owned by Sony from these consoles were not present, like Lomax, and the distribution between regions was kind of a mess, but still, it was a solid form of getting these classics games legally. However now on PS4 the PS1 classic line of games didn't return, at all, so to play games on this console on PS4 you have to rely on collections or individual releases, something that Sony has barely done at all, and then you have the PS2 classics that while did return on PS4, they are overall far inferior, with far less games available, so overall for PS4 Sony has done a very bad job with their legacy content next to what they did before, just like Nintendo on the Switch, and don't get me started witht he emarassment that was the PS1 Mini

The thing is, while Nintendo fans have been super critical about Nintendo's handling of their legacy content, most PS Fans have not cared at all about this, the complains about the lack of PS1 classics or better PS2 clascis, or even getting PSP games on PS4 has been almost non existent, most PS fans don't care. Why is this? I know Sony doesn't have the legacy that Nintendo has but they have done dozens of fantastic games, dozens of fantastic games you have to own original hardware or still have your PS3, PSP or Vita if you want to play them now, not to mention Sony also has some very interesting games that were released only in Japan and again no one seem to care unlike Nintendo fans that still are complaining about thigs like Mother 3 or the classic FE games, and all of that is without mentioning they have never done anything with the games they own that were made before Playstation, like Sony Imagesoft or Psygnosis titles

I honestly think Playstation fans should care more about Sony's classic content, I think this is giving a lot of people the image that Sony doesn't have good classic games and most of the good stuff for PS1 or 2 were entirely third party, with is BS honestly

Edit: and to be more clear, it's not that no Playstation fan cares about Sony's legacy content, is more that is seems the vast majority doesn't care and that's why the complains for the lack of PS1 classics on PS4 have been only distant voices that are not worth listening for Sony

Last edited:

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I think you are projecting. Most PlayStation fans on here would be delighted to have access to their PSone Classics and have BC that goes beyond PS4.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I always got a sense that most gamers (outside this board) just move on. They play the game, and they're done.

Era is different since this is an enthusiast board, so we're more in tune to legacy content.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
When the Crash Bandicoot PS2 classics were added to PSN, they were the top selling digital titles for the next few months IIRC. There's still lots of people who were happy to play the old final fantasy games.

so id say there's interest.

Jan 19, 2018
I love playing old games, and not often for nostalgia.
Both Nintendo and Sony have been awful about this, while Microsoft and most PC games have been really good about it.

Nintendo's NES and SNES apps are actually fantastic, but they have a small library.

Oct 27, 2017
Why would anyone play that?

Seriously though, PS fans have been complaining. But at a certain point you just give up because Sony doesn't care.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I honestly think Playstation fans should care more about Sony's classic content, I think this is giving a lot of people the image that Sony doesn't have good classic games and most of the good stuff for PS1 or 2 were entirely third party, with is BS honestly

How accurate is this?

OsramTaleka

Nov 25, 2020
I don't think this is accurate when Sony just gave us a remake as meticulously constructed as Demon's Souls.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Possibly because the people who cared most about their legacy content stopped being 'Playstation fans' because they dropped the ball so hard. I used to be a PS fan, and now I'll go wherever Final Fantasy goes, and that's purely because PS are so bad at legacy content. I mean, they've been this way for nearly a decade.

Deleted member 79517

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 31, 2020
I don't think it's PlayStation fans that don't care about their legacy content. Sony has done a pitiful job celebrating their own past. Just look at the PSOne Classic Edition! The fans can't be blamed for the publisher's own incompetence in this specific area.

Svejk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gotta keep moving forward, I guess.. Make new IP's... things that need to be revisited will eventually come.. I'm willing to bet they toy around and test ideas; like Ape Escape or Jumping Flash, with next gen and/or VR versions even, but a lot gets scrapped. Sega and Konami are highly guilty of this too though. It's almost criminal that they sit practically unknowingly on top of a goldmine of great IP's. Capcom seems to kinda get it lately.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I would love for Sony to have full BC with everything still at the same time it's not a big deal since they got some much games to play now .

Oct 30, 2017
Personally, I never got into Sony consoles until 2004 when I got a PS2. So most PS1 games were lost on me.

But many of us also realize that a proper BC solution is a huge upward battle with Sony. It'd be nice if the recent PS Store changes are part of a larger product to get older PS1-PS3 content suited for the modern PSN.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I always got a sense that most gamers (outside this board) just move on. They play the game, and they're done.

Era is different since this is an enthusiast board, so we're more in tune to legacy content.
Yeah I don't really care much for older games myself. Some games I like to try again for a little or replay for a little but I don't actively need games for my entire life.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
What has Nintendo fan's criticism of how the company handles legacy games gotten them? Selling a translated famicom game for a limited time? I don't know where this notion comes from that PS fans don't care about legacy games. Most would be extremely happy to get BC, but it's not on the cards for Sony. That said, the platform provides plenty reasons to not look back with their stellar games so it's a trade-off most just live with.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Huh? I care and always play PaRappa on PS4 even if I can't beat the damn chicken stage.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think part of it is due to PlayStation's approach to the IP. Historically, Sony leave a lot of IP behind to focus on new things. The only one of their IP still reasonably active from the PS1 era is Gran Turismo. They've left behind Jak and Daxter, Twisted Metal, Warhawk etc and focused on newer things. As a result, their fanbase, which is diverse and enjoys a huge range of genres, is quite generational too. Children in my class play PlayStation as their preferred console (mostly) but they don't know most of those IPs and the class I had 8 years ago didn't either. It hasn't come as an expense to the business and PlayStation studios is in its strongest position in its history (IMO).

I'd love them to have a few teams dedicated to reinventing older IP, but I'm not sure, outside of a few old timers like myself, whether they'd be worth the investment in the same way Horizon 2, God of War: Ragnarok, Days Gone 2, Spider-Man 2 etc would be. Games like Ratchet get the attention because they are evergreen and sell well - most of those old IP wouldn't.

Sony's marketing does well to reflect on its history, the PlayStation Symbols etc, but not the older games. That works well for them.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I mean, I personally don't care much for old games, unless is called Final Fantasy, so I always care more of new games.
But reading the Sony OT I can tell you I'm the minority there. Most people there care about Sony Legacy.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I think you are projecting. Most PlayStation fans on here would be delighted to have access to their PSone Classics and have BC that goes beyond PS4.
This and
Seriously though, PS fans have been complaining. But at a certain point you just give up because Sony doesn't care.
This

Although I don't care much about Legacy content if they aren't going to improve it in any way, like, I can play old games with no problems but some things are dated, and improving the image quality and frame rate should be a priority, just dumping the games would be a bummer for me.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
User Warned: Platform Warring; Meta-Commentary
The Nintendo's (toxic ?) vocal minority focus on yelling at Nintendo.
The Sony's toxic vocal minority focus on yelling at Xbox fans.

EDIT : Sorry if I offend anyone.

Last edited:

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
I cant even be bothered play games in my backlog if theyre older than 2 years. BC is nice and its a feature that I wish was there for those who want it, but most of the mainstream is interested in whats new. Only enthusiasts like here on Resetera are actually interested in that kind of stuff.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
i really think most of us really care tbh, we just don't lose our minds about it.

Dultimate

Oct 27, 2017
I think the ones that don't seem to care mainly do so because Sony doesn't seem to care. If Sony was making it a bigger thing then most of the once that don't 'care' would be caring.

Mainly, ain't shit they can do about it so why worry about it.

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020
I played the old games when they were new, while I hold a sense of nostalgia for old games and consoles ... I have zero desire to play them today.

New console, new games .... thats what I am looking for.

Oct 27, 2017

Pretty much this. I'd love to have access to my PS3 purchases and the option to buy PS2 & PS1 games but over the years I've sort of got used to console BC being awful. Xbox is definitely moving in the right direction, and I wish Sony & Ninty would take some notes from their efforts.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Played it. Beat it. No need to re-experience it.

Too much to play nowadays for me to care about games from 25 years ago.

Gimme something new.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What has Nintendo fan's criticism of how the company handles legacy games gotten them? Selling a translated famicom game for a limited time? I don't know where this notion comes from that PS fans don't care about legacy games. Most would be extremely happy to get BC, but it's not on the cards for Sony. That said, the platform provides plenty reasons to not look back with their stellar games so it's a trade-off most just live with.
What trade off are you talking about, exactly? You can have stellar new games and still respect your historic catalog of games.

This is kind of what the OP is referring to. Some Playstation fans seem to care so little, solely because Sony isn't giving it to them. It's a defense-force thing. "Eh, I don't want it anyway. Their resources are better served going towards new games." As if they aren't a massive corporation that are able to dedicate resources towards both.

Chille

Jan 7, 2018
Because I'll never go back and play them, games have evolved with better control schemes and quality of life adjustments that alot of old games just lack. So yeah I really don't care about those games.

Aliand

Oct 28, 2017
I played and enjoyed the classics at the time and have hardly already the tile to play the new games I want to play. Why would I go back to oldies ?

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
We just want the next big thing.

Seriously tho, personally, when a new gen begins I leave the previous behind. I may want to play a few PS4 games on PS5, for example, but it won't be the norm.

I'll probably replay Spider Man and TLOU2 if it gets nice enhancements and that's about it.

Last edited:

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
I barely have time to game as it is, so I don't really go back and play anything I've already played save for a few exceptions

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I don't think this is accurate when Sony just gave us a remake as meticulously constructed as Demon's Souls.

I mean, that's like one game and not really that old, at least not as old as I think the OP is talking about. SOTC is probably a better example, but again, that's only talking about a few titles here and there and only ones that are seen as like cream of the crop. I think the OP is meaning something more much broad and long reaching

Duty

Oct 25, 2017
Why would anyone play that?

Really? I love how some people talk about games like it's something with expiration date.

About the topic, I always complain about it in every channel possible, but Sony and most people doesn't seen do care about it at all. So yeah, it's just sad see guys playing PSx, PSP and PS2 classics on Series X|S while with PS4 and PS5 can't.

Last edited:

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017

Pretty much my take. I really doubt the majority cares about BC further than one gen back.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The thing is, while Nintendo fans have been super critical about Nintendo's handling of their legacy content, most PS Fans have not cared at all about this, the complains about the lack of PS1 classics or better PS2 clascis, or even getting PSP games on PS4 has been almost non existent, most PS fans don't care. Why is this?
BC is like the number one agreed upon issue among PlayStation fans of where Sony dropped the ball in the last decade. Were you in a single backwards compatibility thread prerelease? Many people's disappointment with how PlayStation handles its legacy content verges on disgust. I have a lot of mixed feelings playing Astro's Playroom for this reason.

That said, PlayStation will never garner the same interest in its legacy content that Nintendo does because Nintendo has built on its legacy differently than PlayStation has. Many classic Nintendo brands started small and have grown continuously for decades. You can trace a lot of their most popular products back a very long time. You can't do that with PlayStation right now where their biggest and most popular brands are from the last 15 years. I think it's wrong to say PlayStation fans don't care about legacy content, they absolutely do, but the way they engage with it is different. It's not the same experience as Nintendo.

quesalupa

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
US
A. People do care to an extent
B. Time is a real constraint. So people don't care that much because they're usually more than 90% fine just playing new games on their new console
C. People that care a whole lot are probably using emulators or have the original console on hand for ps3/original xbox/vita