• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ohnooni

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how much the rest of you know about henchpersons culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
215498381_uCzxj-L-2.jpg

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
True, he even got beaten by a pitchfork once! But even in the books he's still a highly trained monster hunter. I'm talking more about random bums at an inn that pick a fight with him. Even book Geralt can beat them with his eyes closed.
Large amounts of alcohol are probably involved.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
In some turn-based JRPGs enemies will flee from you if you're over-leveled. I liked how the shadow tokens in Persona 3 and 4 would run away scared shitless from you. I don't think that happened in Persona 5.

It does. Want to say it happens when you're like over ten levels above them and they have a green outline when you sense them.

The only place you would really run into that is floors of mementos you should have long since passed though really.

On the field in P5, no. Shadows can potentially interrupt the battle to beg for their lives if they're near death and you've already killed the other ones around them though, which also applies to demons in other Megaten games including mainline SMT (SMT V having most enemies run from you on the field as with P3 and P4 if you're sufficiently higher level than they are).

It definitely also happens on the field.

Last edited:

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
CDPR wanted to implement a system in Witcher 3 where the last one or two enemies from a bandit group that stayed alive would either flee from you or would surrender but after trying it out and playing with it for a while they said that it simply wasn't fun and even annoying at times

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Shadow of Mordor's system is one of the few in straight action games where this makes sense, since you actually do die multiple times, and the one responsible for killing you gets a promotion. :P

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Why can your character take damage or die in a game, when the obvious endgame has your character winning?

Should we ever feel tension when watching a James Bond movie? We know he will live and win in the end.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Isn't the idea that they're also more afraid of what will happen to them if they run away?

Like with Batman, they know they'll have multiple fractures and concusions and stuff, but it's still better than what the Joker will do to them?

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Yakuza handles this really well, we find out in one of the games that the random street punks who take you on view it as a rite of passage to get an ass kicking by Kiryu.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
The Arkham games got progressively better at this as they went on. Goons would get scared shitless of Batman and just run away.

This didn't happen nearly enough though. I only recall the occasional goon out in the open world running and cowering in a box or in a corner a few times, but almost every main plot encounter had dudes jumping at you over their 2 dozen beaten friends no matter what.

Though I wish the there were more enemies in games in general that surrendered or fled depending on what you do

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
No way they're getting paid enough and no way their leader is paying their families enough for their brutal death.

Not into first person shooters unless it's something arcad-y like Doom or interesting like Portal 😕

Halo has never appealed to me. 😕
Halo does exactly this! If you kill the Elites or the Brutes they run away and break formations, or get suicidal with their plasma grenades.

I remember while playing infinite, while most grunts were running away, one of them activates his plasma grenades while doing their classic suicide charge and yells "I always knew it was up to me to kill the demon".

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't find a clip on YouTube, but for me the most absurd example of this has to be in the Superman Animated Series, in the episode "Superman's Pal".

There's a part where some street punks are ganging up on Jimmy Olsen, and Superman shows up all Superman-like. The one guy with a baseball bat actually takes a swing at Superman, to which Supes literally says "you're kidding, right?" as he grabs the bat and flicks it into space.

The part that especially gets me is that the same guy still stands around for a few seconds after, as if actually thinking "Maybe I still have a chance" before running away.

Dude's balls must be made of the same stuff as Metallo.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ive seen enemies run away in fights in Yakuza. If you beat most of the enemies in that encounter sometimes the remaining one will start to plead anf run in fear
Only in a couple of games though. 5 definitely had the whole "fear causing them to flee" mechanic which much like many of 5's awesome combat ideas gets dropped because... reasons. Still cant believe that + the cellphone call for help stuff is ditched because mechanically they made so much sense to keep.

Though Yakuza does have an interesting in canon reason why Kiryu especially gets in so many random encounters (in Kamurocho at least) - the PSP games (I forget which one) reveal that for low run gang members/Yakuza, their initiation into the gang/family is basically - get into a fight with Kiryu and dont back down. I love this little nugget of info, it makes sense why so many hapless goons try and inevitably fail to fight Kiryu.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite is something like the uncharted 3 chateau mission, where the entire building is literally on fire and falling apart but these minions are still sitting behind a flaming dresser ready to fight you.

SEATLiens

Aug 28, 2019
Seattle
capitalism: conditioned to give their all with no ability to unionize, in order to provide for themselves and their family.