• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheDanimal

победитель победитель куриный ужин
Oct 25, 2017
Alright so bear with me, but there is a very clear similarity between the way each Mario Kart game has been titled and Microsoft has titled each installment of Windows.
Here's the evidence:

Super Mario Kart - MS-Dos
Admittedly, the list doesn't start off strong, but you cannot deny the resemblance between DOS and Super. They're basically synonymous.

Mario Kart 64 - Windows 95
They're both named after important numbers, I guess

Mario Kart: Super Circuit - Windows NT 4.0

Mario Kart Double Dash - Windows XP
Landmark titles for each respective series, both names are fun, new and exciting.

Mario Kart DS - Windows CE 6.0
IT WAS THE MOBILE REVOLUTION BABYYYY

Mario Kart Wii - Windows Vista
Vista and Wii. They're both kind of weird names, right? Vista didn't sell nearly as well as Wii. Plus most people don't really like either iteration compared to what came next.

Mario Kart 7 - Windows 7
Both Nintendo and Microsoft decided to name the new versions with a 7? There's clearly some sort of collaboration between Nintendo and Microsoft.

Mario Kart 8 - Windows 8
The eighth (??) installment for each.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Windows 8.1
A refined version of the newest installment.

Mario Kart 10 - Windows 10
The future of Mario Kart: another Mario Kart game will never release again. This game will just continually be updated.
This will happen.
I can feel it.

What do you think?
There's some sort of shady, sneaky collaboration happening between Microsoft and Nintendo. Hopefully the legions of ERA can help uncover more diabolical secrets.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I need to hear your theory on the correlation between Super Circuit and NT before I can weigh in

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
This makes my head hurt :-(

But hey maybe it explains why Microsoft stuff is on Nintendo

They were one and the same all along

OP
OP
TheDanimal

TheDanimal

Oct 25, 2017
AND WE'RE BACK
TELL ME WHY I'M WRONG
I DARE YOU

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This is dumb.

But now you've opened the Pandora's Box and Nintendo is going to do the weirdo tech company move of skipping Mario Kart 9, thanks OP.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Alright so bear with me, but there is a very clear similarity between the way each Mario Kart game has been titled and Microsoft has titled each installment of Windows.
Here's the evidence:

Super Mario Kart - MS-Dos
Admittedly, the list doesn't start off strong, but you cannot deny the resemblance between DOS and Super. They're basically synonymous.

Mario Kart 64 - Windows 95
They're both named after important numbers, I guess

Mario Kart: Super Circuit - Windows NT 4.0

Mario Kart Double Dash - Windows XP
Landmark titles for each respective series, both names are fun, new and exciting.

Mario Kart DS - Windows CE 6.0
IT WAS THE MOBILE REVOLUTION BABYYYY

Mario Kart Wii - Windows Vista
Vista and Wii. They're both kind of weird names, right? Vista didn't sell nearly as well as Wii. Plus most people don't really like either iteration compared to what came next.

Mario Kart 7 - Windows 7
Both Nintendo and Microsoft decided to name the new versions with a 7? There's clearly some sort of collaboration between Nintendo and Microsoft.

Mario Kart 8 - Windows 8
The eighth (??) installment for each.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Windows 8.1
A refined version of the newest installment.

Mario Kart 10 - Windows 10
The future of Mario Kart: another Mario Kart game will never release again. This game will just continually be updated.
This will happen.
I can feel it.

What do you think?
There's some sort of shady, sneaky collaboration happening between Microsoft and Nintendo. Hopefully the legions of ERA can help uncover more diabolical secrets.

3HNbWjU.gif

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Where do the arcade games fit into this? Do they match up with the OSes for Windows Phone?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And what about Mario Kart VR? Is that Nintendo's equivalent to HoloLens?

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think it's true after 7. They both did that weird thing where they put numbers on them with the 7th instalment. Most of us weren't keeping count before then.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
No correlation on the first 6 titles, finds a correlation on the ones titled 7 and 8 being the 7th and 8th respectively released title.... Good job OP.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
I feel a compulsive need to acknowledge this thread but its foolproof and I can't really refute it so theres not much room for discussion?

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
the relationship between main 2D Mario games and Jurassic Park movies was closer than this.

Super Mario Bros. - Jurassic Park
Super Mario Bros. 2: The Lost Levels - The Lost World: Jurassic Park
Super Mario Bros. 3 - Jurassic Park 3
Super Mario World - Jurassic World
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario World 2 - Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (the last one kinda broke the streak)

so i guess the next Jurassic Park Movie will be New Jurassic Park or Jurassic 64 if they go the 3D Mario route. can't wait for Jurassic Sunshine and Jurassic Galaxy.

OP
OP
TheDanimal

TheDanimal

Oct 25, 2017
the relationship between main 2D Mario games and Jurassic Park movies was closer than this.

Yoshi's Island: Super Mario World 2 - Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (the last one kinda broke the streak)

so i guess the next Jurassic Park Movie will be New Jurassic Park or Jurassic 64 if they go the 3D Mario route. can't wait for Jurassic Sunshine and Jurassic Galaxy.
I'm actually so upset I didn't see this
This is perfect

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

Jurassic World and Yoshi's Island take place on islands

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would like to know why everyone (not literally everyone) skips 9.

They skipped windows 9, because the core that formed Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows ME was called Windows 9X. It would be confusing to have both a Windows 9, and a Windows 9X. And not just from a marketing perspective -- lots of legacy applications will simply check the literal string returned for the version number, and will omit the second character after 9 to group all of 9X into a single category. Meaning you'll see code like "if(windowsversionstring.compare("Windows 9") == 0) { /*win 98 95*/}" etc.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
They skipped windows 9, because the core that formed Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows ME was called Windows 9X. It would be confusing to have both a Windows 9, and a Windows 9X. And not just from a marketing perspective -- lots of legacy applications will simply check the literal string returned for the version number, and will omit the second character after 9 to group all of 9X into a single category. Meaning you'll see code like "if(windowsversionstring.compare("Windows 9") == 0) { /*win 98 95*/}" etc.

Never knew that, but in hindsight that's how I would have checked the version too... Now Mario Kart 9.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
Never knew that, but in hindsight that's how I would have checked the version too... Now Mario Kart 9.

it would be very funny if Mario Kart skips 9 because Nintendo decides to change the series to Nintendo Kart with the next entry (not that i think that'd happen but there's always a chance, especially after how SSB Ultimate grew the franchise's sales and reach just by having everyone in there)