• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Feb 24, 2018
This is something I've always wondered for years but after reading the comments on Kotaku's Sigma's New 'Asylum' Skin Raises Concerns About Overwatch's Handling Of Mental-Illness Tropes article (and the really disgusting dismissal of mental health issues and the idea that fiction somehow can't portray real life issues or stereotypes but that's a story for a different thread), it made me feel this was the time to finally ask this aloud, why do gaming sites have comment sections?

Very few comment sections are actually moderated, Kotaku for example previously was but it and all the other Gawker sites years back fired their moderators due to company policy being not to pay their moderators. This has resulted in nearly anything and everything being allowed only comments, hate, toxicity, adbots, trolls, unrelated nonsense etc that bogs up any meaningful discussion and leads to anyone actually wanting to discuss the matter at hand open to harassment and trolling.

And that's not even going into how comment sections can be used to attack the authors of said articles and in a lot of cases reviews. Anytime I see a site bring up social issues, I'm guaranteed to see at least 6-50 comments screaming at the author for it. And of course reviews, I think we all of us know how fans can get... Defensive if a game they like gets "To low" of a score and what the comment section inevitably gets filled up with.

I'm not saying anything new of course, this is incredibly well known and at this point has became some what of a joke for some gaming fans about how bad and useless comment sections are... Which leads to the question, why keep them around at all, especially if the sites don't seem to care about them and let them be toxic. Surely it would be best for everyone and especially the authors just to close them down right?

And something I don't see being brought up, why have comment sections nowadays for gaming sites (besides say open threads for the community) when they are no longer needed for discussion? It feels like dedicated gaming forums have been where most of the main discussion is now. ERA for example, while not perfect, I've seen more worthwhile reads then I have in majority of comment sections ever thanks to moderation (can't speak for places like GameFAQ). And that's not going into how Reddit and Twitter have become a massive source for gaming discussion, both good... And really really toxic thanks to lack of moderation there as well, Twitter especially.

So why keep comment sections up?

And one final note, if you HAVE to have a comment section, DON'T USE DISQUS!!!! You're just asking for trolls, adbots and the like when you do that.

Haribokart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Engagement, bringing people back. Doesn't matter if they are shit because this brings in more ad money which is the reason 99% of these sites exist in the first place.

PlzUninstall

Oct 30, 2017
It's just depressing reading them. There's nothing redeeming about any comment section. I wish there was a way of muting them on every website (twitter, youtube, gaming websites) just so I don't catch myself accidentally reading something really offensive.

Even if they were moderated can you imagine doing that job? It's bad enough on a forum where there's a bit more control and accountability. I wouldn't wish that job on anyone. Social managment of any sort is a hellscape and my prayers to people who do this work - you're saints.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
The main reasons are cynically that comments can increase engagement and how long a user stays on a page. They also increase return visits as people come back to discuss in a comment thread. All that brings in revenue from ad displays. I will say on RPG Site we find them pretty useful and interesting sometimes - commenters have really helped us to fill in the gaps in our Fire Emblem guides, as in a game like that with loads of choice you're bound to have a few holes here and there... but for everything insightful there's grossness that has to be deleted and stuff. I think the two biggest discussions I see in games media still going on that haven't reached a solid conclusion are about if we need review scores and if we need comments, heh.

And one final note, if you HAVE to have a comment section, DON'T USE DISQUS!!!! You're just asking for trolls, adbots and the like when you do that.

While you're right about trolls, I wanna say that the reason you see Disqus so often is that it's quite easy implementation and the company is actually pretty damn good about staying on top of ad bot accounts and stuff. They're constantly updating their algorithm to catch it and auto-filter that stuff, and unless you're a huge site/company with the tech bandwidth to keep up with that yourself, it's arguably the best bet.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the problem is that most of them don't have moderation.

Gematsu is one of the few that have moderation, even though it's not perfect.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Moderation costs money, that's why comment sections on all kinds of websites are garbage. No one is moderating them because it would be too costly.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
There are there for engagement, someone gets in a argument/conversation they'll refresh the page for more ad impressions.

Like everyone else said the problem is moderation.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I moderated from 2012-2015 at one of the big sites, put a lot of work into that but gosh was reading those comments bad for my mental health at times.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
While I agree that generally these comments sections are cringe inducing despair fests I'd much rather keep them up to at least make it so sensible folk can call out others on their bullshit. Yeah you might get a toxic reply back but I'd actually prefer that over outright censorship or closing of comment sections. Especially when it comes to an opinion piece or plain clickbait.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the comment section for most (or all) gaming websites is just vile, full of the most bigoted people spouting the most offensive nonsense. makes me glad we have this community where that stuff isn't tolerated.

Mar 8, 2019
I really like comment sections. Most of the time I read the headline, first paragraph and then jump right to the comment section to see what the people think. Heck, if a site does not have a comment section I rarely come back to it. Its just something I'm used to I guess.
I frequent MMA news sites like mmafighting and mmajunkie, but after the MMAjunkie site removed their comments alltogether, I stopped going there. Now its mmafighting dot com or reddits r/MMA.

Rolling Nowhere

Alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2019
100% True. It be the same fuckers in there arguing in new articles about past shit from past articles. One of the reasons I stopped using facebook just reading the stories from the local news is the same shit.

Sounds like the EGS threads on this forum. ;)

That said, this kind of "Ad revenue before all else" impacts every site, even this one. Ever wonder why super popular OT's and mega-threads stay on this forum for months/years when the site rules say that they should be moved to the community side...........