• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SystemBug

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, hear me out, Souls games.

Whether they are FromSoftware themselves or another game in the genre, why do so many of them suffer from garbage performance?
Inconsistent frame-rate spikes, bad frame-pacing. You name it.

Demon Souls was very bad in this regard
Dark Souls was also not great here
I didn't play Dark Souls 2 but I assume it was the same,
Same with Dark Souls 3.
Bloodborne, the holy grail of FromSoftware was the exact same.

Sekiro was From's best game in this department but it took them far too long to be "decent" in this regard.

I was recently playing Darksiders III (I enjoyed it quite a bit) but it also suffered greatly in this department.
I think Lords of the Fallen was also very similar in this regard.

I know the obvious solution is to get a beefy PC, but I do genuinely think the devs need to change how they tackle their production & technology pipelines to ensure better frame-rates and frame pacing for these type of games.

Why are these games so damn janky for being so game-play focused? Is that the added challenge? How y'all let this go on for so long?

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because 99% of their audience don't care. unless it's like really unplayable most people don't really care.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Souls combat is slow and weighty for the most part, so it isn't much of an issue compared to say 20-30fps in a DMC game.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
From Software is not known for its technicall prowess , despite selling 10+ million copies of souls games , They wont even animate mouth movements in dark souls

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
The Souls game actually don't require that kind of reaction or specificity in it's combat. The i-frames are pretty generous, enemies have very long telegraphed attacks, and the combat in general is very weighty.

Even something in Sekiro, the parry window is beyond generous. There were times were I was just pumping the L1 button like a mad-man and the game was giving me parries. I was like, alright...cool video game, cool.

The only game that really bothered me being 30 fps as of late was Astral Chain.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
From Software is not known for its technicall prowess , despite selling 10+ million copies of souls games , They wont even animate mouth movements in dark souls

They seem to pick and chose what they feel is important. And I'm sure those decisions help keep costs down and development time low.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I entered the thread fearing I'd have to hate-defend Control (we have a complicated relation), but souls are...ok-ish? At least they are kinda consistent in its 30 fps, I find it worse when it fluctuates like a motherfucker a la fallen order.

llLeonhart

Oct 21, 2019
Souls are fine. And there are other games that are great on this aspect and pride themselves on intense gameplay:

DmC
Devil May Cry 5
Nier Automata
Vanquish
Pretty much any platinum game I've ever played.
What's your issue precisely?

s y

Nov 8, 2017
None of the from games have excellent combat or combat that requires super quick responses from the user. Especially souls. The parry window in Sekiro is generous af as well.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
It kinda sucks, but most people don't care. It's not bad enough most of the time to bother most

Souls are fine. And there are other games that are great on this aspect and pride themselves on intense gameplay:

DmC
Devil May Cry 5
Nier Automata
Vanquish
Pretty much any platinum game I've ever played.
What's your issue precisely?
Lol most Platinum games have pretty bad performance mate.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I'm fine with From games (Bloodborne, Dark Souls III, Sekiro), base PS4.

Darksiders 3 (mentioned in the OP) performance is terrible, no comparison.

Popcicle

Unbroken Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Obviously a lot of people disagree here with the basic premise you've laid out.

Lots of games have great framerate but most people don't like their gameplay. I love soulsborne games, and don't mind the framerate really at all, and I likewise love the gameplay.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Most of the games listed in the OP aren't fast, high intensity games that require 60FPS framerate. Sekiro is the closest and could have benefited a lot from being 60FPS but it still functions fine with out it.

Astral Chain not being 60FPS is quite sinful though, same for DmC. But still not nearly as bad as Bayonetta on PS3.