• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Like most games still do this and it not only takes longer with more prompts to get through but this ugly window appears on top of the game when you save. You normally have to confirm 2-3 times when you overwrite the file.

it's one of those things thats so obvious to not do in game design 101 but it's like this about 90% of the time still ...at least on ps4.

There are some games however where saving is quick and and the game uses its own minimalistic menu to save. Normally this looks much nicer and suited to the game. It also tends to save quicker like this with less prompts and windows opening.

Judgment for example saves using a quick selection from the games frontend. It's simple and doesn't ask you 59 times or whatever to confirm and press yes with the PS4's ugly overlay that would normally appear.

others just auto save in the backgroubd frequently giving you the option to save manually too.

Control is always auto saving frequently which is nice and way better than the prompts that appear normally. You can't save it manually but that's fine.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I hate it tbh. Especially in AAA games with ridiculous budgets. How hard is it to make an ingame UI to save the game?

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Drives me nuts on PS4. Always feels like it's backing out of the game or something. I miss old save menus

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember as a teen when I switched from 360 to PS3, one of my biggest disappointments was going from in-game cool save menus to the XMB's.

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of games saves are so slow, I actually have to debate in my head whether the time it takes to save is worth the comfort of knowing my progresses is caught up to that moment. You know it's not a defensible save system if the player is doing that. And the integrated systems are always that. Plus they look shitty.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As a mainly PC player, I'm really at a loss as to what this thread is discussing. Can someone post an example of this system UI? I don't remember any such thing when playing Bloodborne, for example.

Terandle

Oct 27, 2017
I 100% agree with you OP. This wouldn't be as big of a deal if the PS4 save UI wasn't god awful. Hopefully they clean that up in our SSD PS5 future.

WackoWambo

Jan 11, 2018
Alot of people will say that it is just how it is on console, but honestly no.

Microsoft offers cloud saves just like Sony, but Xbox One is seamless compared to the system level UI popup on PS4.

I mainly play on Xbox with PS4 being for the exclusives, and this always sticks out as a sore spot in an otherwise great system UI/UX experience.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really, it's just Sony as the odd one out. Switch and Xbox One don't use system UI for game saving.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
As a mainly PC player, I'm really at a loss as to what this thread is discussing. Can someone post an example of this system UI? I don't remember any such thing when playing Bloodborne, for example.
Imagine going to save in a game, and the Steam overlay pops up over the game

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
This is probably the smallest issue I've ever read and we're on an enthusiast forum. Even worse, there's not even a photo from OP as an example.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
I was just thinking to myself how most games just save at every little thing you do now day's automatically.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Honestly, it did bum me out a little bit when I played Tales of Graces on the Wii and I saw it had a really nice looking, robust, good looking save UI that was stripped out of the PS3 version. But it was less of an "immersion" thing and more of a "I wish they preserved the more unique elements of this game" thing.

Also reminds me of the Space Channel 5 1&2 ports on the PS2 which removed the cute loading messages like "Now moloarding" or "Now roboading" with the Molorians and robots, from the Dreamcast originals. The PS2 versions just say "Now loading". I wonder if it was some Sony mandated thing that they pushed on the developers.

Oct 25, 2017
It only bothers me when it's slow, like in Yakuza 0. The UI itself is fine, I don't really mind.

Last gen I even preferred it, because a game using the OS save menu was more likely to display my hours played.

Imagine seeking immersion to save a videogame.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017

That's because Bloodborne doesn't have manual saving. It looks like this in most games:

Yakuza-Kiwami-screenshot-08.jpg

In some of the Yakuza games saving is a laborious process of endless prompts and confirmations.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
This surprised me so much when I first got a PS4. I was very confused why I wasn't saving in the game itself.

Overall I agree it lacks aesthetic but it's not a really big deal. It would be cool if Sony made a quicker, lighter version of it though.

Deleted member 49535

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
For the people saying OP didn't post a video of what they mean. Imagine this but for saving (go to 0:50):

System UI that pulls you out of the game (turning off all sound), that can sometimes take a second or more to load. It's just annoying.

This. people really underestimate how hard it is to make those things

Almost every indie game is able to use the ingame UI to save your game, there's no reason for AAA games not doing it.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's because Bloodborne doesn't have manual saving. It looks like this in most games:

Yakuza-Kiwami-screenshot-08.jpg

In some of the Yakuza games saving is a laborious process of endless prompts and confirmations.
Yeah, I absolutely cannot stand it in Yakuza 0 right now. Yakuza's just the worst of it in general though.

Screen 1: A short please wait loading screen
Screen 2: Choose file
Screen 3: Do you want to overwrite this saved data? >Yes No
Screen 4: Saving
Screen 5: Saved Successfuly
Screen 6: Saving
Screen 7: Saved Successfuly

Too many screens. Even starting up Yakuza 0 It's gotta load the save data twice.

It's such a pain.

Terandle

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite part is how the "Are you sure you want to overwrite this file? Yes/No" prompt defaults to No so you can't just mash X through it, you have to carefully time a left press in between all of the freaking zooming animations.

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does it break your immersion when you cough, scratch your face, adjust how you sit, drink or eat something?

Deleted member 38050

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Yeah this bothers me too. The Switch and Xbone versions of FF12: The Zodiac Age have a lovely re-creation of the original PS2 save screen, which shows all kinds of party info and stuff

6-1518905947-108459706.png

But then the PS4 version uses this... Loads of info is stripped out, and it's so much uglier, slower and clunkier. I hate it.

ognxzuge09az.jpg

I realize this is a stupid thing to complain about, but it does bother me. I wouldn't say it's "immersion breaking", but given how much slower and uglier it is, it's a bit of a bummer.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I feel you, OP. Death Stranding auto saves when you hold O to rest so I usually use that instead of menu diving. It's a nice option and more immersive.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this bothers me too. The Switch and Xbone versions of FF12: The Zodiac Age have a lovely re-creation of the original PS2 save screen, which shows all kinds of party info and stuff

6-1518905947-108459706.png

But then the PS4 version uses this... Loads of info is stripped out, and it's so much uglier, slower and clunkier. I hate it.

ognxzuge09az.jpg

I realize this is a stupid thing to complain about, but it does bother me. I wouldn't say it's "immersion breaking", but given how much slower and uglier it is, it's a bit of a bummer.
God that's awful !

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
My favorite part is how the "Are you sure you want to overwrite this file? Yes/No" prompt defaults to No so you can't just mash X through it, you have to carefully time a left press in between all of the freaking zooming animations.

Defaulting to "No" is considered good design practice. I understand your point, but the flipside is people accidentally confirm overwriting when they didn't want to. The way it is prevents that.

False

Oct 27, 2017
Love that people are just dismissing it as a non issue and even belittling the OP.

Here's a better framework to look at it: everyone complains about loading times wasting their precious seconds in life and is super excited about the new consoles and their SSDs, right? Well the PS4 has a crap built in save system that honestly wastes the players time every time they want to save with pop ups and loading screens and it is fair to point it out. There have been several times in JRPGs (seemingly the worst offender personally) that I had to debate whether I really felt like saving or pressing on in the game because I knew I had to menu through several screens just to get it done. It feels archaic.

Immersion breaking and ugly? Up for debate and an opinion, but it definitely wastes the players time.

Terandle

Oct 27, 2017
Defaulting to "No" is considered good design practice. I understand your point, but the flipside is people accidentally confirm overwriting when they didn't want to. The way it is prevents that.
I mean it is already popping up a confirmation box, and the PS4 already has a dedicated face button that means cancel O - X means confirm. And I would love to see some statistics on what % of times people mean to choose Yes, it's gotta be over 99% of the time. I'm just a compulsive saver so I see these dialog box A LOT and it starts to get on my nerves. Not the end of the world of course, just a pet peeve.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
When you think about it, saves in general are inherently immersion breaking. For maximum immersion, play through your game in one go without breaks.

SayWord

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
What's next? Complaining it takes to long to press a button? Haha people wasting their energy on ridiculous things.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
How is this a Sony problem again? Unless Sony mandates the use of its system save UI, which is pretty clearly not the case given how many games don't use it, it's on the developers to create their own save screens for the PS4. I don't know if the Xbox One or Switch OSes include system UI for this, but if they don't that would be an obvious reason why those versions have custom save UI.

If the goal here is to get Sony to stop putting their own save interface in so that developers are forced to build their own stuff, then okay I guess, but that seems like a bizarre takeaway.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I really dislike this too. It stood out to me a lot in Tales games, I remember in Symphonia just hitting a save circle and getting healed + saving instantly on a menu that fit the theme of the game. Then I play Xillia on PS3 and each save circle slowly loads the UI, fills a bar, and generally just bogged down a simple but satisfying process.