• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
Just why? I saw an old dude wearing a minions shirt today and wanted to get to the bottom of this

Screen-Shot-2015-06-22-at-3.36.10-PM-416x405.jpg

EtAD5WkXAAAenuI

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Is this a good thread to teach the world that Bolsonaro followers are kindly called bolsominions in Brazil (in the worst possible way)?

Oct 27, 2017
Baby boomers and older Gen X shouldn't be allowed to use computers or the internet. Their idiocy is a danger to society.

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I know almost nothing about minions or this phenomenon, but my shot in the dark guess is that at least half of it has to do with the outfit the minions are wearing (goggles and denim overalls) reminding them of a 'hard working joe like back in the day'

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I don't really understand minion hate, unless maybe it's derived from this minion meme culture I'm mostly unfamiliar with. My kid likes the despicable me movies and so do I lol.

But I am aware of what the OP is talking about even if only through third party sources, and I have no explanation sorry lol.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The thing about not particularly imaginative people is they generally have no imagination so they reach for the lowest of low hanging fruit.

see also: social media challenges, pranks, conspiracy theorists.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
There was a huge astroturfing campaign years ago on Facebook, Twitter etc to make minions memes a thing, and after a few months old people took up the mantle and started doing the work for free.

I can't remember if it was when one of the movies were about to launch or what, but I think there was even a thread at the old place about it, calling it out because it was super obvious that it wasn't a natural progression of popularity (as far as memes, not the films). Like dozens of memes started floating around all at the same time.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They can easily be used to express whatever opinions and Boomers aren't savvy enough to do that without a silly character doing it for them.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
They are expressive, but since they don't speak clear English, don't have particularly specific personalities to ascribe to them, as such are relatively blank slates perfect for meme-ing. And they come from a popular family movie. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Bc minions find the most evil being and follow them. Or something like that