• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Maybe they have some physical issue you're unaware of? I have a bad back but it's not something you'd notice unless I told you.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I dislike waiting for the elevator. I always go for the stairs by default. I usually move pretty quickly up them too. Don't like meandering on the stairs lol.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I intentionally make sure not to take an elevator for just one floor unless I have something heavy with me. I live on the 2nd floor of an apartment building and always take the stairs up and down.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I assume it's a lot harder for non-disabled fat people to climb a flight of stairs without getting winded.

It's the definition of a self fulfilling prophecy, though isn't it?

They can't take a short walk because they're always winded from a small amount of exercise, and they're never going to be change that unless they do it regularly.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Able-bodied-era has gotten weird about stairs and elevators lately. Just use the option that works best for you and assume others are doing the same.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I rarely ever take the elevator unless I am in a hurry or it's a gazillion floors up. I prefer walking up or down the stairs, I'd rather not wait for the elevator to arrive. I usually end up beating my friends that end up using the elevator.

Oct 27, 2017
We had to use elevators to go up at all of my previous jobs since the stairwells were locked. You could only go down and exit through the ground floor but all other floors were locked from inside the stairwell. I wish we were able to use them to go up cause our elevators were so sketchy.

What happened if there was a fire? Did the stairwell doors auto unlock in the event of an alarm or were you all expected to use the lifts to evacuate?

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I live on the second floor of my building but the stairs are for emergency only--can't open the door to a residential floor from the stairwell and an alarm goes off. Plus the door on the ground floor goes outside rather than to the lobby. So I have to take the elevator.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all ever come across buildings that don't have a readily available staircase, and the only one is an emergency only staircase? That annoys me.

If it's a couple floors and the staircase is accessible, I'll take the stairs every time.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Either I'm carrying a drink and it's best I don't risk spilling it on the stairs or my asthma is bad.
Or maybe I want to be in the lift with whoever is already waiting or want to avoid somebody on the stairs.
I'll usually take the stairs though.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The lifeworld is arguably set up that way. Elevators, being the big constructions that they are, are usually featured pretty centrally, so we're primed to naturally go to them first and perhaps don't think to use the stairs.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
I live on the second floor of my building but the stairs are for emergency only--can't open the door to a residential floor from the stairwell and an alarm goes off. Plus the door on the ground floor goes outside rather than to the lobby. So I have to take the elevator.
Same with my building, except I live on the 11th floor. The stairs are supposed to be for emergency use only so you can only open them to get down, but not up. I'd damn use the stairs to go up if I could access my floor from them.

johan

Oct 29, 2017
I love stairs

I have to take 4 stairs everytime I want to enter my home, feels good

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Honestly one main staircase is at the opposite end of the building from the elevators. I use that so often I forget the others exist so I just use the elevator when I'm not near it. Also the other staircases take you to weird locations like back halls and the cafeteria. Sometimes I just want to come out near an entrance to the building.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017
Slightly different point, but I get annoyed when people use the elevator to travel 1-2 floors, when I'm trying to get to the top floor.

Just take the stairs if it's only a couple of flights. Lazy and inconsiderate to other elevator users.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I wouldn't say it's laziness. It's a modern convenience that most people have gotten used to using. If they weren't there then the stairs would be the only choice.

Same with most modern conveniences.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Why do able bodied people stand on escalators ?
Why do able bodied people take their cars to go somewhere less than 500m away ?

That's just laziness. That is all.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I find people who don't climb up/down escalators (unless they're carrying something or are old) more weird actually.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I take the stairs (unless the number of floors to travel is more than 2) more than 9 times out of 10. The most common reason to take the elevator is that I'm having a conversation I want to keep going, it's easier that way.
That said, I won't judge anyone for being a bit lazy, and I won't make any assumptions about their health. For example, my coworker looks like a healthy 40 year old man, but in reality, his knee is a source of constant pain.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Not all disabilities or handicaps are visible.
I was literally about to post this but glad someone beat me to it

Also, consider this - if you are in a group of 2+ people of varying fitness, age, height even, and are having a conversation, taking the lift ensures everyone is still together with no pressure on the quick or the slow. Take the stairs and you'll end up waiting on slower people and the slower people rush to not be a hindrance.

But I'm a stairs person, just highlighting many reasons why people take lifts

Last edited:

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Because it's a great farting closet after holding it in all day at the desk then carries the smell away at the touch of a button.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
I use the 1-floor elevator at out local swimming pool, once a week.
I think this is partially, because we don't have an elevator at home so it is a fun novelty. (probably partially a hangover of it being a really fun button pushing activity for young kids - now my childrenare a bit older and I seem to enjoy it more then them!)
It is also partially a efficiency thing. We are always running late, and i can normally tie up my daughters hair and get her cap on, something that would be highly dangerous to do whilst walking down the stairs.

MrCinos

Oct 26, 2017
Aside from elderly doing it, I've never seen anyone else (yet at least) using elevator for just one floor here in Tyumen (Russia), neither at work or in apartment buildings. Surprised to see how wide-spread it is in other countries.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I want to... Simple as that. Laziness is such a dumb answer. Y'all have no idea what may be wrong with that person nor know what physical activities or work that person does.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
When my work was on two floors, it depended on what I was doing really, I took the stairs probably 3/4 of the time, but sometimes I felt lazy and would elevator up a floor

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I work on the 5th floor so I take a lift.

However I always tut loudly at people who take a lift to the FIRST floor. Why do it? Just take the stairs, one flight takes seconds!

nemoral

Oct 25, 2017
Fiddler's Green
Some of them are in poor shape, some of them are lazy, some off them have injuries you can't see, and some of them have reasons we probably can't guess at.

Worry less about that sort of shit.

Nov 8, 2017
I work in a building with three floors and I never use the elevators, even when going between the ground floor and 2nd floor. I think most people use the stairs too.

On the rare occasion that a colleague I'm with decides to use the elevator, I'll take the stairs quicker and hit the button on the 1st floor just to make them wait longer.