• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
Was an explanation ever given?

At that point it was not the goku and vegeta show, vegeta had at best an equal or lesser role compared to Gohan, Piccolo and even Krillin throughout the story.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Toriyama wanted Goku to get the W, that's the only reason.

To address the above, Gohan could have been saved by Goku before the earth blew up. And they could have have been wished to the kai world to fight Buu instead of bothering with the spirit bomb.

You could keep going back like this, Kid Buu never even needed to happen. Gotenks was probably always destined to fail given how blatant of a parody character he was but Gohan could easily have been written to finish off Super Buu.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I know, but they were brought back to life. IIRC they had a wish left back so why not wish for those two to be teleported to the world of the kais?

They did something similar with piccolo on Namek.

The Doylist answer has already been given, but the Watsonian answer is probably Goku straight up didn't trust them to do it, lol. They already screwed it up the first time.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Because the entire resurrection of Buu was almost singlehandedly the fault of Vegeta's hubris and beef with Goku so having those two tag team the final boss plus Vegeta finally acknowledging Goku was #1 makes a great redemption arc.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Goku actually thinks that Vegeta's idea was bringing back Gotenks and Gohan, but then Vegeta mentions the Genki Dama, pushing the whole "Earthlings protecting themselves" bit (which ends up being just an excuse for Goku focus and a last role for Satan when it turns out they don't even want to help initially).

Also, Kaioshin runs out of energy to teleport, which makes little sense but was thrown there to stop him from bringing them once they started having trouble with the Genki Dama.

At that point it was not the goku and vegeta show, vegeta had at best an equal or lesser role compared to Gohan, Piccolo and even Krillin throughout the story.

It was already the Goku and Vegeta show there though. It doesn't stand out much since it's just the very end of the series, but you can see how all the Gohan focused set up from the beginning of the Buu Saga is completely ignored (aside from Videl liking Gohan). We see no aftermatch of Gohan's identity reveal or even him meeting with Videl again (after she thought he was dead and then both died). He's just lumped with everyone else in the speechless panels post-Buu battle and then it's the timeskip that ignores both Gohan and Goten as Goku's successors to go with Uub.

Last edited:

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Reading the manga would answer that question because Goku thought of the very same thing.

Copypasted from a comment on reddit.

Chapter: 514 (DBZ 320), P7.4

* Context: after Vegeta has the Earth brought back with the Dragon Balls

> Goku: "Oh, I know! You'll bring Gohan and Gotenks back to life so they can fight."

> Vegeta: "No. Start making ready for... Genki Dama!"

> Goku: "G-Genki...?! D-Did you just...?! That's your great plan?! It won't work! Taking a bit of energy from everyone on Earth won't be nearly enough for-"

> Vegeta: "I said, let the Earthlings save themselves for once! You're going to take more than a bit! Take as much energy as you can!"

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Toriyama wants to end the manga.
Of course he will end it with Goku. Senbe destroyed Dr. Slump ending chapter too.
He launched a rocket to earth.

Oct 27, 2017
To give Goku the win, Gohan would have deleted Buu instantly, the amount of bullshit Toriyama wrote just to give Gohan the L is crazy, made it so Gohan didn't use a single Ki blast so he wouldn't die, let the kids fuse, and then he did catch the potara, and for the final fight he just ignores him lol.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Because the entire resurrection of Buu was almost singlehandedly the fault of Vegeta's hubris and beef with Goku so having those two tag team the final boss plus Vegeta finally acknowledging Goku was #1 makes a great redemption arc.

Did Vegeta need yet another redemption arc though? He has more redemption arcs than there are Fast and Furious sequels.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Who's this Gohan? Dragon Ball is the Goku show.
I really hate after the Cell arc Gohan gets dunked on so hard and written terribly to the point he becomes irrelevant.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Toriyama wants to end the manga.
Of course he will end it with Goku. Senbe destroyed Dr. Slump ending chapter too.
He launched a rocket to earth.
Wasn't he going to end it with the Cell Saga, which was Gohan? I feel like the popularity of Goku is what made them change course.

Yippiekai

The Fallen
May 28, 2018
Toulouse, France
I know, but they were brought back to life. IIRC they had a wish left back so why not wish for those two to be teleported to the world of the kais?

Maybe they learned from their mistakes because Piccolo was useless on Namek.

Or the way it's done, they just didn't think about it. They had their chance to beat Buu, they failed. Seeing how their Saiyan pride avoid them to fight in anything other than a 1v1 situation, it would just delay the inevitable, Buu was just indefeatable by anything other than the big ball of doom.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017

The Doylist answer has already been given, but the Watsonian answer is probably Goku straight up didn't trust them to do it, lol. They already screwed it up the first time.
Because they both suck when it comes to actually defeating an enemy. Can't trust 'em.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
There is at least one of these threads a week, if not more.

That makes me think that Dragon Ball is Star Wars for millennials.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
There is at least one of these threads a week, if not more.

That makes me think that Dragon Ball is Star Wars for millennials.

The weight of this truth is so heavy, lol. I've come to a similar conclusions.

OG DB-Z = OT
GT = Prequels
Super = Sequels
Heroes/Videogames = EU

dcvcozy-796d38f7-68ca-4d52-8825-4f49bf8890cf.gif

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Super Buu eat both of them?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Original ending would be Namek.
Then we would get the sequel, Gohan.

True, I'm just saying it did seem like he gave an effort to make Gohan the main character, even setting up those high school hijinks, until they changed course. So was it Toriyama that really wanted Goku in the spotlight or the popularity of Goku that kind of forced his hand (plus him just wanting it all to end).

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Having Vegeta tank Kid Buu while Goku builds up a spirit bomb is kind of the most unnecessarily risky plan I can think of in Dragon Ball.

Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, and Gotenks collectively would have dunked on Kid Buu.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the Buu saga is a mess, don't question anything. It's a series of decisions that undercut each other and there's no logical arc to any of it.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Gohan and Gotenks would have dusted Kid Buu. Gotta find a way to get the Spirit Bomb in instead.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
A lot of Dragon Ball is similarly kind of dumb, though. Everyone and their mother wants to show off their new power instead of just beating their enemy, so of course the enemy powers up. This even happens to Picollo when he gets his power up and then encounters Cell.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Having Vegeta tank Kid Buu while Goku builds up a spirit bomb is kind of the most unnecessarily risky plan I can think of in Dragon Ball.

Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, and Gotenks collectively would have dunked on Kid Buu.
Based on that logic, everyone at the 23rd World Tournament should have interfered immediately when Goku had a hole on his chest against Piccolo.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Based on that logic, everyone at the 23rd World Tournament should have interfered immediately when Goku had a hole on his chest against Piccolo.
This is the inherent problem with Dragon Ball.

Story arcs would be a lot shorter if the heroes operated with some semblance of common sense.

Deleted member 28307

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Lets be honest, Gotenks is an idiot and Gohan albeit more powerful than Kid Buu/Goku, would also find a way to get his dumbass absorbed again

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Gohan sucks is why.

even in the Cell Saga he fuckin' sucks until he gets a retread of a much better Goku scene and then he's briefly entertaining as Saiyaman and then we're minded that he's Gohan and he fuckin' sucks

he'd never be able to cut it as a main character on his own merits

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Gohan sucks is why.

even in the Cell Saga he fuckin' sucks until he gets a retread of a much better Goku scene and then he's briefly entertaining as Saiyaman and then we're minded that he's Gohan and he fuckin' sucks

he'd never be able to cut it as a main character on his own merits
giphy.gif

Great Saiyaman is the best Gohan by a mile. Pre-Buu Saga Gohan is a boring as hell audience insert character.

Not taking over as the main character was the best thing to happen to Gohan because he was finally allowed to develop an actual personality.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
giphy.gif

Great Saiyaman is the best Gohan by a mile. Pre-Buu Saga Gohan is a boring as hell audience insert character.

Not taking over as the main character was the best thing to happen to Gohan because he was finally allowed to develop an actual personality.
honestly both of Goku's kids becoming total fuckin' regular loser people is fantastic in its own right

meathead fight junkie ass superman produces a regular college-educated superboy who does goofy street-level heroics and an even more normal himbo kid who does karate sometimes for fun
it's legitimately better than Gohan or Goten becoming Goku 2 could ever be

KillingJoke

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Its been years but i thought kid buu was his peek power? I know SS3 Goku put up a fight but barely? So what would have Gohan or Gotenks do? Assuming they around the same power level.

Either way i liked the Goku/Vegeta dynamic. Anytime they acted like bros put a smile on my face.

Deleted member 28307

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Its been years but i thought kid buu was his peek power? I know SS3 Goku put up a fight but barely? So what would have Gohan or Gotenks do? Assuming they around the same power level.

Either way i liked the Goku/Vegeta dynamic. Anytime they acted like bros put a smile on my face.

Buuhan and Super Buu are much stronger than Kid Buu

During the final fight, power levels are like this: Gohan >>>>> SSJ3 Gotenks > Kid Buu (due to infinite regeneration) > SSJ3 Goku >>> SSJ2 Vegeta

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure when they got revived Goku was either fighting Buu, or was already creating the spirit bomb. Might be wrong on that one since i haven't watched Buu saga in years.
Neither have I. Vegeta was the one who was doing the wishing so Goku was likely fighting or charging up, but fat Buu was also around as well I think when he showed up was when Goku was making the bomb.