• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you like buying furniture?

• Not really...

Votes: 112 42.4%
  • Yeah!

Votes: 101 38.3%
  • Kinda indifferent.

Votes: 51 19.3%

• Total voters

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
I love buying furniture in games but not in real life because usually furniture is very expensive. However, recently my older sister convinced me to go to a local furniture store that had cheap furniture, so I went! Man, this place was great. There was a whole bunch of stuff for very affordable prices. There was stuff just to add more life and personality to your home.

I couldn't help but grin because I'm an expressive guy and I wanna spice up my apartment some more. My apartment is lacking in the cool furniture department so I'm gonna fix it.

A few questions… do ya'll think posters are tacky? Like I have a poster of something on a wall do ya'll think it's tacky?

Got any tips for furniture buying? Mixing and matching furniture is okay, right?

Is there a Furniture-ERA?

What are some cool furniture that you guys got?

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you can, get a few centerpieces custom made for your house. We have a really nice custom dinner table made out of a single piece of a huge tree and my dad has an amazing gaming table with custom slots for domino, card games, etc.

Crissaegrim

May 23, 2018
I'm OCD, so I have to have matching things for the most part. And OP, it depends on what the poster is and how nice the frame is.

Did you go to IKEA or something?

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Go to a local art place too, I know art is not really furniture, but sometimes really cool people will be willing to commission something for your place.

Oct 27, 2017
Here are our Billy bookshelves (with the glass doors) from IKEA. My wife loves that place. The chairs are also from IKEA. I built that!

Attach665_20180730_101216.jpg

Last edited:

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FRAME YOUR SHIT.

Seriously. Posters are fine, IF you frame them. Don't use thumbtacks and don't have them all curled up or wrinkled. Frame that shit.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
It's fun if you have money. Furniture is expensive, transporting it is difficult and annoying, and putting it together has to be one of the levels of hell.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would if framing wasn't horribly expensive
Rather buy cheaper posters and replace them if needed

It doesn't need to be. Get a cheap walmart one or build one yourself. You don't even need the poster covered by glass/plastic on the front. The frame itself adds the dimension and class to the poster.

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
if you're at the point where you can afford to buy new furniture you should have posters framed when you put em up, posters taped on walls is college age decor

i have clawed cats so having nice furniture is a dual edged sword. i limit myself to couches that don't have spaces underneath them for cats to hide, just to make life a little easier. one of the cats has made a good tearing of a bunch of my furniture tho. honestly if you're patient finding gently used or unique stuff off facebook marketplace or something is awesome, you can get crazy deals or find neat stuff. i always find myself browsing and going damn if i had a house instead of an apartment i'd go out and get this and that. stores are cool, salespeople can be annoying tho cos some places you can work out a deal and some don't

plants rule not random at all

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
What's the other option? Used crap from Goodwill? Custom hardwood at 3x the cost? Walmart? Ashley?

Local spots are great first stops when you're first getting started. If you live in the northeast, try something like Bob's Discount Furniture. They sell great stuff at low prices. Bought most of my original furniture there and it held up for a good 8 years.

Framing posters? Okay good to know!

Plants in apartments aren't random, right?

Nope, definitely look into floor plants. They're cool.

Oct 30, 2017
What's the other option? Used crap from Goodwill? Custom hardwood at 3x the cost? Walmart? Ashley?
Consignment stores, holiday sales (Memorial/Labor sales) from high end places, or buy from hayneedle.com or wayfair.com.

Local spots are great first stops when you're first getting started. If you live in the northeast, try something like Bob's Discount Furniture. They sell great stuff at low prices. Bought most of my original furniture there and it held up for a good 8 years.

Bob's is now here in California as well. I can confirm, they carry pretty good stuff for the price.

Oct 27, 2017

Good recommendations, but where I live it's either Craig's List or chain retailers. I wish everything I owned was Amish-built hardwood, but I can't afford that shit

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
Consignment stores, holiday sales (Memorial/Labor sales) from high end places, or buy from hayneedle.com or wayfair.com.

Bob's is now here in California as well. I can confirm, they carry pretty good stuff for the price.

Lol, Ikea is trash but wayfair isnt? Okay.

No one would buy Ikea if real furniture was cheaper, but its not. Its hard for any family to justify $6000 on a sofa or the ridiculous sums that real wood furniture can go for when for many that's multiple months mortage/rent/car payment and simply isn't affordable for single payments.

DonShula

Oct 25, 2017
Posters are only acceptable if tastefully framed and placed in an auxiliary room such as a rec room or basement.

Posters in main living spaces and bedrooms are tacky if you are over the age where it's exciting to be able to put things on the wall without your mom getting mad at you.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Posters have to go in a frame OP. Never just on the wall.

IKEA is good for things you don't sit or sleep on (excluding the POANG chair, shit is god tier until you have Eames coin). I'd recommend West Elm for aesthetically pleasing seating options.

Invest in succulents. Also good lighting. Diffuse, ambient lighting combined with spotlights is incredibly important. I like Hue bulbs for really setting the mood in any context, but if that's too pricey I know IKEA has a reasonably competent WiFi lightbulb package now.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
It can be fun, until you see prices. I like to look more than shop though.

Also, posters only look classy in frames. That's what I do with mine and it's pretty awesome. Walmart sells poster frames for like $12-20. I wouldn't recommend the ones that require taking edges off instead of the back cardboard. They get loose and fall off a lot, making it look shitty.

I always hear people complain about putting together ikea furniture but I actually enjoy it.

I don't mind putting it together cause it's cheaper, but I won't lie, I do get rather frustrated when I can't get a screw to go in or have enough hands to hold pieces together to tighten lol. I have thrown tools during furniture building lol.

Everything in life is affordable if you have bad taste

Awesome advice to live by lol. Thank god I don't care if I look tacky.

Last edited:

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know by "poster" you mean "some anime trash" so yes: they're tacky. Really, all posters are tacky. Your home isn't a movie theatre lobby.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I love buying furniture in games but not in real life because usually furniture is very expensive. However, recently my older sister convinced me to go to a local furniture store that had cheap furniture, so I went! Man, this place was great. There was a whole bunch of stuff for very affordable prices. There was stuff just to add more life and personality to your home.

I couldn't help but grin because I'm an expressive guy and I wanna spice up my apartment some more. My apartment is lacking in the cool furniture department so I'm gonna fix it.

A few questions… do ya'll think posters are tacky? Like I have a poster of something on a wall do ya'll think it's tacky?

Got any tips for furniture buying? Mixing and matching furniture is okay, right?

Is there a Furniture-ERA?

What are some cool furniture that you guys got?

This is just me talking.

Check out the discount outlets of your local major furniture places. If you can find something like there, it will be cheap, affordable, and will last a long time. I bought couches from Jordan's furniture outlet barn 7 years ago and still use them today.

Make sure you get weight estimates on everything you buy. I bought a really nice glass table that came with tiny ottomans that were to be used as seats that neatly fold under it, but found too late that the weight limit for those ottomans were only about 200 pounds because they didn't have a solid even base. I've since fixed them myself by filling the supports with wood glue and using much larger thread screws to hold them together, but I was pretty shocked when one of them just collapsed under someone at a party.

Posters need to be movie theater quality if you want to hang them on the wall, and even then, you put them in frames. If you don't wanna do frames, see if you can get matte prints on foam or wood. I finally got this done the other day, I just need to figure out a place to put it.

Di0ixhzXcAEIxtc.jpg:large

I endorse plants over lamps.

Try not to get wow'd by fancy bells and whistles. I recently bought a sectional that has phone characters and light up cupholders within it and while I love it, it's not great for gaming because it has very large armrests that double as storage, which makes it hard to lay about. It's great for company and conversation and watching movies, but if I wanna be dumb and just contort myself into all sorts of shapes while playing games, things get tricky. A traditional curved sectional wouldn't have had that problem, but that also wouldn't have been as neat.

GET THAT FUCKING WARRANTY. LIKE WHOA. LIKE DOUGH, LIGHT DRO, NITRO, MIGHT FLOW, NICE CLOTHES LIKE WHOA.

Be careful of interest if you do decide to do payments over time.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've never been to IKEA. I guess I can go by there and see what's up though. Lol

Super worth it. Build quality is suss but the price more than makes up for it, and there are definitely pieces that are solid and will last quite a while. It's just inconsistent, but even the shittiest pieces will last at least 3-4 years.

The bulk furniture warehouses people are suggesting are only better if you want that white mom Pinterest aesthetic. Other than that, completely irredeemable.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Everything in life is affordable if you have bad taste

OP
OP
Mediking

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
This is just me talking.

Check out the discount outlets of your local major furniture places. If you can find something like there, it will be cheap, affordable, and will last a long time. I bought couches from a jordan's furniture outlet barn 7 years ago and still use them today.

Make sure you get weight estimates on everything you buy. I bought a really nice glass table that came with tiny ottonmans that were to be used as seats that neatly fold under it, but found too late that the weight limit for those ottomons were only about 200 pounds because they didn't have a solid even base. I've since fixed them myselves by filling the supports with wood glue and using much larger thread screws to hold them together, but Iw as pretty shocked when one fo them just collapsed under someone at a party.

Posters need to be movie theater quality if you want to hang them on the wall, and even then, you put them in frames. If you don't wanna do frames, see if you can get matte prints on foam or wood. I finally got this done the other day, I just need to figure out a place to put it.

Di0ixhzXcAEIxtc.jpg:large

I endorse plants over lamps.

Yo, this looks great!

Oct 28, 2017
Even if framed, posters can give off a "college dorm" vibe. I cant suggest some solid prints or actual paintings enough. See what places like Target or even thrift stores have. Remember that less is usually more or your house will start to look overly chaotic in design. I quickly ran into the problem of too much shit on on the walls when I first started decorating. Never again

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Cheap is fine if you intend to replace it in a few years. More expensive might not look significantly better, but the build quality is a lot different depending on the company. Some furniture can last you a lifetime. Even if it needs a refinish or reupholstering, it structurally solid for life. Cheap furniture falls apart after a few years.

Finding a good, quality brand at discount prices is a lot better than buying cheap crap.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Couple of candles and an oil diffuser can help make your place look and smell nice too.

It's so nice to see someone excited about their living space!!

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Posters are fine, but framed posters? That's the real good stuff.

And buying furniture is fun! I'm doing it right now when I'm not working :)

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
Picking out and getting furniture delivered to the house was cool because our living room was empty. Paying for it was not fun, but not terrible. Little touches, like artwork or the colors you chose for pillows or lamps can make a big difference. So overall, yes, finding things that reflect your personality and make the house feel like home can be more interesting than you realize.

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
Ikea furniture is hit or miss, but it's easy to tell in the showroom which ones will be good and which ones will fall apart in a few months.

West Elm is only marginally better than Ikea imo. If I'm paying West Elm prices I'd rather go to Crate & Barrel.