• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 18, 2020
Writing comes a lot easier to me than drawing.

I have very limited free-time, and I'd rather spend it devoted to something like writing a novel, where I can make a lot more progress more quickly than spending hundreds of hours learning to draw.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Never bothered to buy the stuff necessary to step my artwork up a notch. Wound up getting into working on desktop PCs and Magic the Gathering instead.
Writing comes a lot easier to me than drawing.
Also this. I found out in high school that I'm a great essayist, and I find the writing process to be extremely fulfilling. Novels aren't really my speed, but essays and research papers are really compelling for me, and in the career I'm pursuing, it makes me a natural fit.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I hardly have enough discipline in me to write these days. I wish I could draw to put some of the images I have in my head to life but I just don't think I have it in me to do the work required.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
I started working as an illustrator and then realised how much I hated painting lol.
I still enjoy sketching and I even paint every once in a while - But after spending all of my younger years thinking this is what I was meant to do, and trying to force myself to draw until my fingers bled, I'm not treating it as a "once in a while" kind of hobby and I'm way happier with it.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
I stopped for years after trying to make awesome digital paintings.

Then I started again and realized I like drawing (and coloring) more than painting.
Never stopped after that.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
never stopped.

though i stopped digital drawing for a while because i moved and i haven't got my desktop setup back together properly yet

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
I was always a perfectionist and it's just a terrible trait to have since it destroys so much. When it came to drawing, I always had a picture in my head of what I wanted it to look like, but if it was not similar to that, I just got frustrated and gave up. Also lack of concentration. To this day I have an unpacked set of drawing pens sitting in front of me at my desk and hoping to pick up drawing again, but...Not yet. It sucks because I always dreamt of drawing comic books when I was a kid.

I also hated that I never could get fingers drawn correct, or buildings. I sucked at that. I just could not get it down on paper.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would draw every day as a kid, even in school and getting in trouble for it. I largely gave up around 13 battling with deep depression and I hated everything I created and lost all motivation to create for a long time until 20 something with Swapnote on the 3DS. Even now I don't have the kind of motivation to be persistent at creation, but I will draw every now and again, like when I help work on the Games Done Quick OTs. When we decided to do MS paint stuff for all the buttons and banners, the top banners were made by me. Two of my Kirby drawings were also in the get well Iwata poster. But overall it's pretty few and far between. I also still consider my works flukes because I don't practice.

desmondcs

Banned
May 9, 2018
Michigan
Attempting to get back to doodling, but art block / nothing in particular that I want to draw & not enough solitude to let my mind wander into a creative space are my main hurdles to drawing anything that satisfies me.

Saikyo

Oct 25, 2017
I wasnt improving and I am pretty lazy to correct that, also had a friend that was so much better that I could just comission him.

Nov 1, 2017
Not drawing more consistently over the years is one of my biggest regrets now that i'm finally trying to make a career out of it. I always had a talent for it, but I was always doubtful of how successful i could become. Ain't nothing left to do but make the work, roll the dice and will it into existence

Often I would go for months without drawing. Sometimes I wouldn't find the will to do more than just randomly doodle for a year or more if I was too focused on other things. Such is being young and dumb. There is a kind of anxiety comes with it when you are not very good yet that often makes it hard to even put pen to paper - you put all this time, energy and focus into trying to make something good and improve - and you still aren't satisfied with the result much of the time because it isn't what you expected it to be. There seems to be a great chasm between what you can do and what you want to do, and you don't know how you will ever cross it.

That kind of doesn't ever go away even once you become good though so get used to it and embrace the failure and frustration as signs that you are pushing yourself and making progress. At this point I know enough to understand that if I have a real struggle with a piece to get it right, I should not feel too discouraged because I am being forced to solve problems that I don't quite know the answer to yet, and learning that it is what will take me to the next level instead of just hanging out in my comfort zone. That being said the Goldilocks method works best - if you try to punch too high above your pay grade too quickly you will get discouraged and just want to quit.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My job title, ironically, requires me to draw as little as possible. If that happens, theres a big problem.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
Actually started again after a good 15+ years hiatus. Because I'm a teacher and my students are lazy at drawing, I need to show them how it needs to be done.

A good painting or drawing needs a ton of time. It's easier for me now because I can use it for my profession.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Because I got to do it as a job and it sucked out all the fun!

Just kidding, but it does feel like that sometimes, I can't bear to open up Photoshop to do my own stuff. It comes and goes though, and the past few weeks have been pretty productive. The last few months of 2020 I just binged videogames instead of drawing in my free time.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Because after 2.5 years in animation school, it became work and not fun.

After graduation however, I was able to take that education and turn it into a base for my current role in videography.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I suffered with depression, low energy due to an auto immune condition, and lack of motivation because of these things. I had gotten to the point I was getting decent.

I took up music instead, though, so I don't feel bad at all about stopping.

LogicAirForce

Oct 25, 2017
Depression and no matter how much I practiced I never got better, making me even more depressed. I'd love to give it another try one day but as of right now there is no way I could.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty bad at drawing (at least I have no technique or actual legitimate skill), but ever since I got a wacom tablet in like 2011 or so I've been drawing all the time. Love it.

I was like 25 or so in 2011 and hadn't really drawn anything since I was a kid since then.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
For shame on all of you.
I did a lot worse than all of my friends in art class in highschool and it made me think that I was just bad and this wasn't my calling so I gave up on it for years. In hindsight that's such a silly reason and it's one of my only true regrets that I didn't stick with it more consistently. No time like the present though.
You know, back in high school I really sucked at drawing. Not kidding. In fact, sometimes I paid my friends to do my homework for me. Drawing wasn't in my interests that time. Looking back, I do regret being addicted to videogames only. All I ever did was play videogames after studying and doing my homeworks, but I digress.

Since I love to write and wanted to see my characters drawn, I tried to learn how to draw when I started college. Needless to say, it was an epic failure. Still couldn't get the motivation.
Back in 2019 I bought a Wacom Intuos. Don't remember why. Used it sometimes, but still wasn't interested in drawing.

After the pandemic started I finally decided to take my pen and learn how to draw. It was after I commissioned some artists in Twitter that gave me the motivation. Although it is still quite amateur (yesterday drawing was horrible since I'm trying to learn how to do poses), it fills me with joy seeing my characters. It is something I wouldn't have dreamed of last year by these months.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
Explain yourself.
All that amateur fanart you did years ago, what made you stop? You know you'd be much better if you had kept at it until now.

There's the rub...I did keep at it...for years and years. To this very day I spend all my free time drawing. All if it.

...and I'm still completely awful at it. My "art" is such embarrassing hot garbage for three decades of effort...

...and I'll never stop. It's the only thing that brings me any joy, but do you have any idea how frustrating and depressing that is? For all that effort - time and money and classes and practice - to be for fucking nothing? I feel like such a worthless sack of crap when people talk about how much they've improved.

...so you might not be better if you kept at it. You might be me. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go draw for some reason...

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
I'm bad at it. Wish I would have the discipline to stick to at least a few drawings per week. But often I draw something, then put all of it away for weeks or months.

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017
I was okay at drawing. Then I got old, commitments, jobs, bills and I just don't do anything fun like that. I used to love gaming and computers, hence this place. Oh well, existential crisis time.

MasaDrew

Jun 20, 2019
I've definitely had extended breaks before. I'd do a piece and then just never get back to it. For myself having a 9-5 plus other hobbies and a dash a depression just makes it really easy to not pick up the tablet sometimes. There's also the comparing myself to other artists and using that negatively.

I started a tiktok over a month ago and its gained traction (moreso than twitter and IG for me). The process of trying to make an entertaining reveal or process video is very fun to me, so I've had a burst of inspiration and output. Also seeing others work and the people behind not only gives me the followthrough to improve but also eases the pressure I place on myself

Mar 30, 2019
I do really miss drawing. I'm fairly decent too. I just stopped and haven't returned to it because of when I was trying to make ends meet years back. It was a casualty of me focusing on establishing my independence from my parents. It became a learned avoidant behavior after a while.

Fast-forward to now, my parents have been urging me to join more art clubs and participate in more creative endeavors. Of which, I do appreciate their concern for my mental health. Well, before covid hit anyway. And after returning for a couple classes it was nice to see I still have muscle-memory.

But I feel like I just don't have that burning desire to draw anymore. It's like a sleeping part of myself that I just don't want to disturb. Maybe it's residual learned helplessness, I don't know. Maybe I'm just a ruthless procrastinator.

Last edited:

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have kinda a story to tell. I've been off and on at it since I was a kid. The longest gap was like 4 years. I always told myself when I get more time I'd do this or when there is a break I'll do it then.

I eventually realized that I would have to make time instead of relying on short windows of opportunity if I really wanted to go anywhere. So now I make sure there is drawing time. If anybody wants me for something but is during drawing time? GTFO. Its non negotiable. Now I even sacrifice some game time for drawing time.

My avatar is something I drew myself actually, and it was my first time doing everything in photoshop with a tablet instead of just leaving it as a pencil sketch. Its rough and I lost a lot of the charm of the line art sketch and I'm sure you could roast me about how amateur it looks but I'm still proud of it because it taught me alot about how the workflow would be like when doing digital art.

I also keep myself motivated by either ending my practice/study time with drawing something original or drawing something I've always wanted to draw and seeing how close I get to it looking acceptable. Seeing yourself progress is a HUGE motivator, and it keeps me thirsty. I want more, I want to be just a bit closer. Usually at this point I have to force myself to stop for the day.

TL:DR I was off and on untiI I
I became DMC's Vergil. I think everyone should have a little Vergil in them.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I was really into drawing during my teens and was interested in graphic design when I left high school. I pretty much stopped because I was busy with college, but mostly for the fact that I kept getting let down when looking for design jobs and just dropped art altogether and focused on other stuff. I haven't really had much desire to get back into it.

Oct 27, 2017
Got old enough that I was actually able to somewhat critically judge my drawing skills and when I tried to learn actual technique and form I got frustrated by how slow I was making progress

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer writing and playing music. I know a good number of artists now, if I desperately need a drawing of something, I can just commission it (and have).

tatwo

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
EOY7ELhX0AAynVz.jpg

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping to pick it up again soon! My plan is to pick up one new habit a month, so I have drawing lined up for Feb. I've always wanted to draw, and realising it's a learned skill rather than an innate talent motivated me to start. I'm 33 so don't imagine I'll pick it up as quickly as if I started when I was younger but still looking forward to it.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I've gotten a bit better but I get so demoralised when I'm watching a guide to explain how to draw a character, and it ends up looking great (At beginner level). When I try, it's MC Escher had a shitfit.