• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Explain yourself.
All that amateur fanart you did years ago, what made you stop? You know you'd be much better if you had kept at it until now.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I just don't have the motivation. My art is terrible. It's a skill I would like to work on, but not any time soon.

Olinad

Oct 30, 2017
It's one of the many hobbies I pick back up once in a while, and then can't keep up with and abandon :(

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I've been having gigantic art block and art anxiety on and off ever since I finished art school some years ago, which is probably the reason why I have an art block to begin with, it did a number on me. Currently working on fixing that.

Oct 28, 2017
I just don't have the discipline to practice consistently. Nor do I find any enjoyment in the process. So my only reward for attempting to draw these days is frustration and disappointment.

Stabi

Oct 25, 2017
France / san francisco
Work, family and motivation

I used to draw during class at school or when I was alone at home.

Since I've lost that free time, i ended privileging other hobbies and I never really readjusted my habits to make sure I keep more diversified activities.... Which I should

InfiniteKing

Oct 26, 2017
I started, I've been sticking with it for so long and doing it everyday I've been filling out 4 sketchbooks with different ones. I only stopped a few weeks after back to back messed up portraits, nowI'm back at it after succeeding in some of them, going to give it a try and I really need to go through and finish a loomis book I was starting.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Work. It kills my creativity. When I was unemployed I couldn't afford shit, but I was able to draw, paint and compose. It felt meaningful and valuable then. Now it feels as if my whole identity is being eaten up by work, and I'm having a hard time finding the motivation to actually do something for myself.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Focused more on writing.

I didn't stop wholesale, though. I still doodle; mainly portraits, and I'll sometimes scribble out a figure when the mood strikes.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I struggled with progressing out of my limited skills, and pushing myself too hard ended up burning me out - leading me to writing instead (and a similar thing happened there, and now I write music).

I'll go back eventually, this is just a 20 year break.

GameDev

Aug 29, 2018
Grad school. The anatomy book sitting on my desk makes me wish I wasn't inundated with busy work.

I am almost done with school and can't wait to dive back in.

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
No motivation to practice once I started working, which left me with a lack of skill. I cannot sketch, so I would always try drawing the finished thing from the start instead of building it up.

Trying to get back into painting, but that's an equally slow process. I have some brushes. Just need to order some paint and a few mini canvases. I've been researching how to do the Bob Ross style in acrylic, which probably isn't really possible. But if I can find a way of emulating it I'll be happy.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I guess I moved on to mostly visualize my creations with a computer. I do a bit of computational design in my free time. I would love to be better at drawing perspectives and such tho.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
I'm bad and could only ever draw well when I straight up tried to copy a piece of reference material.

Everything else looked bad or ended up horribly out of scale.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Because I suck. I took it up again a few years ago but it's been a while since. Too busy with other things, like posting on Era 👍

OP
OP
Jonathan Lanza

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
For shame on all of you.
I did a lot worse than all of my friends in art class in highschool and it made me think that I was just bad and this wasn't my calling so I gave up on it for years. In hindsight that's such a silly reason and it's one of my only true regrets that I didn't stick with it more consistently. No time like the present though.

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
Because someone broke into my car and stole literally everything in it, including all my portfolios and in progress work, and all my tools and medium. Literally everything I had done for the previous 17 years - from the time I got out of high school to that point was taken in a single moment. All I have left is stuff I did in high school and a handful of mere pinups and design thumbs as fucking scans. The originals were also taken.

It hurts too much to think about doing it again. I'm old now. May not do it ever again. I hope whoever stole all my shit died from the fucking meth they bought with all my stolen stuff.

Azem

Oct 25, 2017
i dunno, depression? anxiety? not seeing much improvement over a few years and being discouraged? all of the above?

Belladonna

Oct 30, 2017
Any skill requires consistent practice. I do want to be in a position where I can say, yes I can do this regularly and I know I'll suck for ages but if I stick with it I'll see improvement. But at the moment I can't get into that headspace. This isn't just art but music as well or really any skill that I would love to learn or continue improving.

Oct 26, 2017
I've been having gigantic art block and art anxiety on and off ever since I finished art school some years ago, which is probably the reason why I have an art block to begin with, it did a number on me. Currently working on fixing that.
This mirrors my personal experience. I should have kept it as a small hobby as opposed to something to attend classes for. What can I say, I was young and dumb.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
This mirrors my personal experience. I should have kept it as a small hobby as opposed to something to attend classes for. What can I say, I was young and dumb.

Yeah that can happen as well.

In my case it's more related to going through a burn-out and a subsequent depression.

I hope you will find joy in drawing again though, it's precious.

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020
I took a long break, but I'm back into it now. I want to get better, and it's starting to show progress even in just the six months or so of work.

My first big effort on the internet was when I did comics for a Nintendo Fan site ten years ago, but surprisingly the people there were very mean and critical in retrospect. That sort of pushed me to stop. Now, I might get some rude comments on Reddit, but the vast majority are actually rather welcoming in comparison. You guys have been pretty nice with the stuff I've shared too.

I still have a lot of anxiety posting my work, but I'm trying hard to push past that. I'm not entirely sure what my end goal is, but I'm at least becoming a better comic artist in the mean time.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Explain yourself.
All that amateur fanart you did years ago, what made you stop? You know you'd be much better if you had kept at it until now.
Don't worry OP you can draw for years on end and still be barely any better than you were to begin with.
Wish I could give up to be honest. I like drawing that I do it consistently but I've never had any sort of goal that would help push me forward in a meaningful way. I wouldn't even say I enjoy it as such, its more is when I occasionally draw something well there's a sense of satisfaction I don't get from anything else.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
I have no talent. All I could draw was eyeballs. That's it, and eyeballs are creepy.

Smithy

Oct 25, 2017
was pretty good at it. Stopped when I realised it's time consuming on not giving me any perspective for the future

Oct 25, 2017
That was actually going to be my career and I had loads of talent but at some point sitting there looking down at paper started to give me serious headaches.

I tried the digital drawing pads and such but the lack of any "friction" completely throws off my ability.