• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 14, 2017
My current online persona started when I was making a character for FFXIV. I wanted to be a cat lady with a giant axe and I'm generally a cat obsessive, so I started riffing on cat / kitten, then kitten with mitten, then kittens / mittens and my brain wot I'm very proud of gave me Kittens McMittens.

I was so pleased I changed all my online names to some variation of either that or Kitty McMitty. It's a name that brings me joy!

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
It's a nickname I got from school I liked and happened around the time I decided to abandon all my old accounts because of all the dumb shit I used to say and make new ones.

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
Short form of the name of a relatively obscure band I was really into in the late nineties. I've been using it pretty much everywhere ever since. For example I have posts on Slashdot from 2002 using this nick and on The Straight Dope since 1999.

Very occasionally I get a message from someone asking if I am associated with the band. I'm not, I'm just a fan.

The American Analog Set (sometimes referred to as AmAnSet) was an Austin-based indie rock, lo-fi band.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
At the old place, just quickly wanted to come up with a name I guess, and was inspired by one of my favorite Lynch movies Wild at Heart and the character Bobby Peru - not the country.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Been my username for 10-15 years I think. Pretty self explanatory. Only differs on gaming platforms where it's a different iteration of it.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
A while back, in HS, I was making a Steam account.
"Shit, I should think of something new to replace my clingy preteen online username."
"I dunno, Puffins are pretty neat, and Steam is a power source"
"I have it! Steam Powered Puffin!"
"Hmm, Solar is also a power source, a cooler one at that. How about Solar Powered Puffin instead? Brilliant!"
And then about a month later, I dropped the Powered to shorten the name.

I've grown very attached to the name Solar Puffin, I feel like it stands out, and it's never taken, ever.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
It was suggested to me by Google Play when I needed an account for that. I had grown tired of my old username a long time ago and I liked this one.

I personally interpret the Metal part as the material, not the music genre. Clear stands for transparent, making it somewhat of a paradox since most metals (if not all?) aren't transparent.

Part of me is afraid everyone just reads it as "clearly metal 🤘" though.

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
Used to go as Inquizitor (or Inquizit0r - because I was 1337) back in the day (part of some forums/online). People started shortening it to Inqui because who wants to spell all that out. Simplified to Inki (can confirm, am no longer 1337), I've gone one further now, I typically go by Dinki (added the first letter of my first name). I've just been too lazy to change it on here.

Oct 28, 2017
The ProtoSound was the tentative name of the band my friends and I were forming in high school. Our musical tastes eventually diverged and so we never got it off the ground but the name struck a chord with me so I decided to use it for myself.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Soneji is one of the names of the villain in Along Came a Spider/Cat and Mouse, and his mindset as a criminal was pretty fascinating to me. He could easily adopt different faces, and this translated well to the anonymity of the internet, especially in mafia/werewolf games that are basically cops and robbers, heroes and villains, cat and mice.

louie

Oct 29, 2017
I used it for the old place. I mostly posted in the Louie threads when that show was still on TV, so most people assumed I took it from that, but I actually took it from the skateboarder Louie Barletta. His bag of suck part had just dropped and I was blown away by his carefree style.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
It is the nickname I have been using since 1988 give or take.
Just an obvious play on the Clint Eastwood character Dirty Harry Callahan.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
It's a pluralization of a common creature in the now deceased Magi-Nation CCG/Video Game series.

It just looks like weeaboo though. Oh well.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I like pathetic loser characters and I like FFIV

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was created upon playing (old) Battlefront 2 when I wanted to "Star Wars"-ify my real name. My best bud did the same and they've been our online handles ever since lol.

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX