• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: Possible explanation in threadmark

So it's been over two years now but I am still baffled about this. For those unaware, the English version of Digimon World: Next Order drastically increased the difficulty during localization in a few different ways:

1) Stat gains via gym training are halved and bit rewards from battles are significantly reduced (but at least with this you can get to the JPN version by playing on easy mode... easy mode in this game just changes those two things, it doesn't change battle difficulty at all)

2) A lot of evolution requirements are up to 10x the JPN version, especially for the Japanese version. So a lot of Digimon you could get early on in the JPN version are just inaccessible here.

3) For some reason a lot of people don't know about this one, even though IMO it is by far the biggest change: The stats of enemies in the English version of Next Order are way jacked up compared to the Japanese version. Like... it's not a minor balance adjustment. It's a night and day change. A lot of enemies require at least 10x the stats to beat them than what you need in the Japanese Vita version of the game. I can confirm this is the case because I'm playing the English version of Next Order after having played the Vita version and holy fuuuuuck is this hard.

I'm honestly really confused as to why the hell they jacked it up THIS much. Like if Easy adjusted the enemy stats to match the Japanese version then sure, we'd be all good to go. But no, they went and severely buffed everything so basic enemies at the very beginning of the game can legit just randomly OHKO your whole team for no real goddamn reason... And it just gets worse from there IMO.

I'm going to keep playing through this version of the game because it's still fun and I am stubborn as fuck but I feel like the extreme difficulty had to have put off a lot of people from playing the game after the first few hours... It's honestly really surprising that this sort of thing happened in 2017 I think.

Last edited:

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Yeah there's no reason to play the harder difficulties unless you hate yourself and want to grind more.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't Normal in the English version actually Hard in the Japanese version?
Easy in English is equivalent to Normal in Japanese version isn't it?

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017

Yes, this was definitely the case in the 90's.
Apparently, market research showed we (western audience) respond positively to more challenging games.

I guess Mario Lost Levels were an exception.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Yes, this was definitely the case in the 90's.
Apparently, market research showed we (western audience) respond positively to more challenging games.

I guess Mario Lost Levels were an exception.
Well hard mode for Mega Man 2 in the west was normal for Japan. Japan didn't even have the west's normal mode.

OP
OP
Charizard

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
No, it is not. The stat gains are the same but that is it. Not only are evo requirements higher but the enemy stats are all jacked up.

Take the Garudamon fight for example. Digimon with stats in like the 300s body the hell out of him in JP, but if you try that shit in the English version YOU are the one getting bodied.

The Meteormon you see in the volcano are not hard to beat in the JP version but will likely kill you at first encounter in ENG.

The Redvegiemon in the forest path can be beaten when you first meet them in JP no problem but will probably kick your ass in ENG.

So on and so forth :P

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
No, it is not. The stat gains are the same but that is it. Not only are evo requirements higher but the enemy stats are all jacked up.

Take the Garudamon fight for example. Digimon with stats in like the 300s body the hell out of him in JP, but if you try that shit in the English version YOU are the one getting bodied.

The Meteormon you see in the volcano are not hard to beat in the JP version but will likely kill you at first encounter in ENG.

The Redvegiemon in the forest path can be beaten when you first meet them in JP no problem but will probably kick your ass in ENG.

So on and so forth :P
Huh, didn't realise.
I remember playing on Normal difficulty at first and having serious trouble getting through the story and just couldn't get my stats high enough for anything beyond Champion. Then looking it up online everyone was saying that Normal in English was actually Hard mode. I switched to Easy and had a much better time whilst still having a challenge.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Fun fact: in the Japanese version of the original Digimon World, Digimon used to poop far more often than in the western releases.

OP
OP
Charizard

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
Found a couple other changes:

-OP gained when you cheer during the hit animation is reduced from 30 to 20, making special moves much more of a PITA to pull off

-You have to raise a tamer skill to have more than one move slot for your Digimon, but in the Japanese version you have all 4 move slots available from the start...

I am just so confused lol

kuroneko0509

Oct 25, 2017
since I never touch the game in any form nor following much of the game news back then, this is just my assumption:
- difficulty option label probably messed up between the jp/en ver if there's any option to pick, like what happened to fe: radiant dawn?
- the difficulty was changed when the game ported to ps4, maybe because of jp players feedback saying the game is too easy when first release on vita?

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
Oh wow, I had no idea. I played the game at lunch on normal and the game...was ok difficulty wise? I remember stumbling upon some ultra/mega Digimon who one-shoted me, but thought that it was obviously to early to fight them. The Devs should have hide the high lvl Digimon, similar to DW1, really, one of my big complaints for the game, but the difficulty was alright I guess.

A possible explanation
OP
OP
Charizard

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
I checked a bit more on my vita copy, it is more in depth than what I initially thought. It is not a simple difficulty increase like I assumed, oops.

Contrary to popular belief, Eng and Japanese versions seem to actually gain similar stats at the dojo on Normal; I think jp is just a few points more, nowhere near Easy's stat gains. The main two differences are:

-English has much harder battles, BUT...
-English version gains WAY more stats upon completing a battle. In the English version the best way to train is by far completing battles for up to 24 points per a stat per a battle since they take up no ingame time. In the Japanese version you usually get 0 to 1 points per a stat so you still gotta hit the gym.

The end result is that in the English version you need higher stats but it is way easier to get those higher stats. It is actually kind of interesting and everything makes more sense now.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I'd still recommend playing the game on Easy in the English version though.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Can I change the difficulty mid game?

I wanna try the normal mode, but if it's too grindy I would change to easy shamelessly.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Fun fact: in the Japanese version of the original Digimon World, Digimon used to poop far more often than in the western releases.
Wow I never knew that! Sounds like a pain in the ass. Even in the EU version I ended up running out of portable toilets every now and then.

Can I change the difficulty mid game?

I wanna try the normal mode, but if it's too grindy I would change to easy shamelessly.
I would really like to know that too. Just recommended the game to a friend of mine and he complained about the difficulty, whereas I had a semi-challenging experience with the game back then.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017