• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Got to 90% completion rate on PS4 Pro. Got an X, started anew and am once again 15hrs deep with 29% completion. It was not my Goty because it has some flaws with the pacing, but it is undeniable that it is one of the best games ever made.

ERA is ERA and the Internet is the Internet. People love to bitch about everything.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
It hasn't? I'm still absolutely smitten with the game. Just because a few people around here are regurgitating youtube video's talking points and passing them as their own opinions doesn't really change the game's reception and inclusion on countless GOTY lists.

Game definitely has a few issues but it's nothing in comparison to the games staggering achievements, it's one of the most impressive games ever made, regardless of control and mission design issues being blown completely out of proportion.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I don't feel like "honeymoon period" is at all applicable.

The people who liked the game have just moved on, whilst those that didn't are still making threads telling people how much they didn't like it.

The criticisms have been there since day 1. And the praise is still there now.
This is also very true. It's how you explain games like TLoU and MGS4 getting constantly bashed in LTTP threads yet MGS4 was GAFs game of the year twice and TLoU: Remastered got tons of votes as well. People likely felt that they couldn't talk as openly about their own personal, negative assessments of those games around launch, so they wait a bit and discuss them after many people have moved on.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
People are going to say "it was only on ERA" but that's not true at all. All over Twitter has people disappointed with it, a lot of people I know who played it were also disappointed. It's far wider than just ERA.

God knows what the critics look for in games, pretty much all of them gave it a 9.5 or 10/10 which for me is pure madness.

Feb 10, 2018
1. It's drop of period is no different to other single player games
2. The mp is not widely liked
3. GTA is more suited to short sessions people can just drive around and mess around, RDR2 being deeper did not have this as much.
4. Even with GTA's hype dies down after a few months.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
To me, this game felt like it was disrespecting my time, which I couldn't say about other R* open-world games. After ~30 hours in I just had enough, and I don't see myself returning to it any time soon.
Same. Didn't make it out of chapter 2. The controls are some of the worst ever designed. This is some early days Konami shit type controls.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Most people noticed the game's faults while playing it, but it didn't matter much then because the narrative was so good. Once they beat the game, then was the time to start discussing the gameplay.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I think you are seeing what you are wanting to see if you think RDR2 is the only title that went from the most beloved to one more criticized fairly quickly. This happens basically to most major titles that receive tons of hype and love by the general population and critics.

Breath of the Wild which many, including myself, would argue is the best Zelda titles and one of the best titles to have ever come out is heavily criticized on the internet.

On ERA in particular there is a lot of negativity as everybody needs to share with the world something so controversial, yet so brave over how that critically acclaimed and popular game that everybody loves they do not.
I put my barometer in the OP. I'm specifically talking about critically acclaimed games like SMO, BotW, TLoU, TW3, MGSV, GoW etc. These games enjoyed their honeymoon periods but you can't say the same for RDR2.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Assuming you didn't make the OP in bad faith, nothing happened with RDR2.

It's an extremely succeful games, and also one that has been played by over 20 million people by now. Of course it's going to attract criticism, it's not perfect.

Also ERA just has a hate boner for a game every once in a while and this one was just next on the list.

Ladioss

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
RDR2 is a good (and beautiful) pop-culture simulator, and a bad game (especially gameplay-wise).

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I think that the real question is how a game with bad gameplay/mission design, bad controls, input lag to everything, bat shooting, a really slow story pacing... received glowing reviews.

And I think that lots of player share my opinion, here in Resetera, on Youtube, even some close friends of mine.

I also think that as years go, every new Rockstar game that doesn't fix their outdated game design is worse received (not by the critics, but that's another problem).

Oct 27, 2017
I can't say that anyone who feels that RDR2 is the best game they've played in a while shouldn't feel that way, that would be silly.

However, it was my most anticipated game and I beat it but I also feel that I REALLY don't like the game when it comes to all of its game design aspects.

When it comes to God of War though? That's a honeymoon that won't wear off.

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017
Personally I'm not going back to it until they add proper fast travel. All that horsing around got old. I ain't touching the Online mode.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People are going to say "it was only on ERA" but that's not true at all. All over Twitter has people disappointed with it, a lot of people I know who played it were also disappointed. It's far wider than just ERA.

God knows what the critics look for in games, pretty much all of them gave it a 9.5 or 10/10 which for me is pure madness.

You always get a vocal minority criticising the most popular and critically acclaimed titles. Granted that may be the case to a greater degree with RDR2, but most data shows that in the wider context, it really is down to a vocal minority. How else would RDR2 get easily the second highest number of user voted GOTY awards across the Internet, above Spider-Man, Monster Hunter World, Fortnight and Smash? Also, where do you think it'll place on Era's GOTY list?

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Too many people treat these games as though they were flawless when reviewers start throwing out 10/10 reviews. These metacritic scores need to be taken with a grain of salt.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Assuming you didn't make the OP in bad faith, nothing happened with RDR2.

It's an extremely succeful games, and also one that has been played by over 20 million people by now. Of course it's going to attract criticism, it's not perfect.

Also ERA just has a hate boner for a game every once in a while and this one was just next on the list.
I stated that the game was my second favourite of 2018, I don't have anything against it but I've just been meaning to ask this question after observing the dozens of different threads on here and on other places on the internet criticizing the game despite only having released for a few days. It's a phenomenon that has happened with other games sure but what makes me curious is that it serves as a direct contrast to RDR2's critical acclaim and hype.

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
This game was like the anti-BOTW. I loved the gameplay in BOTW but I hated that there was like minimal story and I just got bored of it.

With RDR2, the story is enjoyable so far (I am in chapter 3) but the gameplay is killing me. The shooting is poop and I feel like my button-press-to-action-completion takes a long time.

Deleted member 2618

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Once you get past the hype of a new Rockstar game, the flaws of the game really show itself. It controlled poorly, the heavy focus on realism wasn't fun, and the mission design is just dull.

Granted I also thought Watch Dogs 1 was more entertaining than GTAV, and WD1 is dull as can be so what do I know.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cause I feel like I'm runnIN IN CIRCLES WITH YOU TWO

MICAH

IS THE ONLY ONE LEFT WITH ANY LOYALTY
DOUBTS. EVER SINCE BLACKWATER IT'S BEEN NOTHING BUT DOUBTS.

It's a cycle we go through with most really big games.

Backlash is proportional to a game's reach, so when we're talking about backlash to popular games, we have to remember there are many more voices talking about it than less popular games.

The bigger a game is, the more people take an interest in it, and the bigger a target it presents. This has knock-on effects that can be difficult for us to always see from the ground.

Think of the size of something like Mario's audience, right? In real numbers, there are probably more people that have something negative to say about Mario within its own audience than the entire audiences of, I dunno, Hotline Miami, Celeste and Hollow Knight combined.

(Probably)

Either way, that's a lot of voices and a lot resulting 'noise', right, and it makes it hard to be heard.

Opinions, particularly from content creators that require attention in a heavily competitive market (Twitter, YouTube, etc.), tend to become more polarised simply to be heard.

So RDR2 can't just have, I dunno, awkward controls; it has to be completely broken or the worst controlling game of all-time or a conspiracy by the gaming press to assuage their Rockstar paymasters.

Whether we like it or not, we're influenced by what we consume to varying degrees. Sometimes we unwittingly poach their opinions or we rely on content creators we like for validation, or we see things that nudge us into making up our minds when we can't quite put our finger on it. Not to that degree all the time, sure, but I reckon this happens more often than we all care to admit.

I'd argue these polarised opinions trickle down into everyday conversation, with the 'loudest' and (more importantly) the most persistent opinion (good memes help here) in a given pocket of the internet winning out. From the ground, it looks like the opinion is unilateral, but it is rarely as it seems.

So we end up in a kind of lingual arms race. Everything is either GODLIKE or DOGSHITE, and DOGSHITE usually wins out because it lends itself to more copy and more comedy (the latter of which really stands out). Which all leaves little room for nuance because, sadly, nuance doesn't get attention.
In seriousness, this is also a good post, especially since I think the NakeyJakey video -- while it still made plenty of valid points/criticisms -- got taken in the wrong spirit by viewers and has slowly become the RDR equivalent of the Star Wars Red Letter Media reviews in that some people start defaulting to that.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I stated that the game was my second favourite of 2018, I don't have anything against it but I've just been meaning to ask this question after observing the dozens of different threads on here and on other places on the internet criticizing the game despite only having released for a few days. It's a phenomenon that has happened with other games sure but what makes me curious is that it serves as a direct contrast to RDR2's critical acclaim.
It's the most popular SP game this year, selling multi millions more than most. Basic statistics would tell you it would have the most hot takes to follow.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Breath of the Wild was over a year old. MGS5 3 years more or less.

In other words, more games have been embracing systemic gameplay.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
For me the entire month of November was RDR2, and looking back it basically feels like I went somewhere really dope....for work lol.

Like the actual place was dope and I had fun, but there was still a bunch of pain in the ass shit I had to deal with while I was there.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind that people/reviewers saw it as a 10/10 game at launch. What I do mind, though, are the critics who gave it a 10/10 without even acknowledging that the controls and restrictive mission design could be a huge flaw for a lot of people. I can totally see how some people are not bothered by these things and still give it a 10, but these things absolutely need to be adressed in a review.

I was very disappointed by this behaviour by a specific review outlet I usually love but I'm not going to name them. Especially because the reviewer himself was a known RDR fan. I still think RDR2 is a great game though, but flawed nonetheless.

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
The game looks beautiful and everything is really impressive for the first 10 hours.

After some time I couldn't bother skinninh animals anymore, or horse riding. Auto path is bugged af because it automatically runs into other people, somtimes killing them. This will give you a nice bounty, that system is horrible aswel. The game was made too realistic only to brag about: "look at what we've done". It's just not fun anymore. And multiplayer is a joke.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Same. Didn't make it out of chapter 2. The controls are some of the worst ever designed. This is some early days Konami shit type controls.

So RDR2 can't just have, I dunno, awkward controls; it has to be completely broken or the worst controlling game of all-time or a conspiracy by the gaming press to assuage their Rockstar paymasters.

SourImmaculateCob-size_restricted.gif

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
some games are going to be frontloaded with critical acclaim no matter what. i could never fathom GTA or RDR getting any kind of middling reception unless they just really shit the bed with it

even the best of us get caught up in the moment. i remember singing from the rooftops my praises of Skyward Sword and now i'm not sure you could pay me to play through that again

Martylepiaf

Oct 25, 2017
France
I think people want to talk more about a game when they feel a majority of people have a different opinion about it. If you didn't have fun playing RDR2 even though it has one of the highest metacritic ever and a ton of GOTY awards of course you feel like talking about it, you're not just being a hater because you want to start a discussion.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably because the online is kind of dry and there's no real replay value. Like God of War, you can go back and do challenges, but there's no real point in going back to red dead once you beat it.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I quit this game probably 3 or 4 times.

I kept having to motivate myself to pick it back up and continue on.

It didn't help that it just kept going, and going, and going..............

Glad I beat it in the end, but I don't see myself ever replaying it ever again. Good game, but one playthrough will last me a life time.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Moving forward, I get the feeling people are just going to be rushing even faster into the backlash phase of all the new popular game.

GoaThief

Oct 25, 2017
Game is fine. Some disgruntled gamer threads on ERA don't change that.
Pretty much this.

Actually just came off a RDR2 session and coincidently saw this thread, I don't agree with the premise at all. The game is my favourite of the generation (Just pipping Bloodborne and Rocket League), the complaints with missions and controls are vastly overstated. I personally do not have a gripe with the design, antiquated or not (do we criticise retro style indie games for this now too?) and whilst the controls do have minor quirks making it slightly less responsive than say, Call of Duty, considering the size and scope of the game coupled with how the actual combat plays out it's a complete non-issue. Then again I also believe GTA IV to be a better game than GTA V, in spite of V's larger and more varied world it was missing the superior physics plus the story, social commentary and characters were a step backwards.

Opinions, opinions...