• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Im talking about both From Up on Poppy Hill and When Marnie Was There

Great movies in terms of sound, art and animation. Good ol' Ghilbi quality. Heartwarming romance energy too

Then its like in the back of your mind you have to think about the idea, at least temporarily, of someone tryna fuck their brother or grandma and its like huh? LOL

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
From what I remember, they've gone on record that any romantic undercurrent to When Marnie Was There was completely unintentional. (But I'm not sure I buy that - it was 100% a lesbian love story up until the swerve, either it's a bait-and-switch or they were somehow unaware of the existence of gayness.)

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
...okay, as someone who never watched these, you're gonna have to explain this to me.

wtf.
From Up On Poppy Hill featured a girl and a guy that fell in love but it turns out they have the same dad. They are sad but obviously still are attracted to each other anyways. Then at the end of the movie its revealed that its a misunderstanding. But you know, they still confessed to each other while they were under the impression that they were related, so uh lol

When Marnie Was There has a girl constantly blush and obsess over a pretty girl who she goes to visit in secret frequently but it turns out the girl is her dead grandma

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
From what I remember, they've gone on record that any romantic undercurrent to When Marnie Was There was completely unintentional. (But I'm not sure I buy that - it was 100% a lesbian love story up until the swerve, either it's a bait-and-switch or they were somehow unaware of the existence of gayness.)
I'll just assume they were writing what they thought was a close friendship.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
this is a quote from the author of the original novel, on the wiki page

I am Anna of course, and Marnie is my mother. My mother was always un-get-atable. Without meaning to, she always let me down. I found this extremely difficult to forgive, for without realising parents are in the same boat as yourself, that they are children, too, you can't forgive them for being frail and human. But until you learn to forgive, you yourself are crippled, can't begin to grow up. Through writing Marnie I faced the truth and found understanding. It made things a lot better.

I think they always intended it to be about the parental passing relationship

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Im talking about both From Up on Poppy Hill and When Marnie Was There

Great movies in terms of sound, art and animation. Good ol' Ghilbi quality. Heartwarming romance energy too

Then its like in the back of your mind you have to think about the idea, at least temporarily, of someone tryna fuck their brother or grandma and its like huh? LOL
From Up On Poppy Hill was a wild ride when I watched it in theaters. I was soooo happy that it turned out they weren't related. Made every viewing after much easier to handle haha but yeah, that was really weird and creepy.

When Marnie Was There is just an eternal disappointment for me. I just…I don't know how they didn't realize what they were doing. How could they not? Did nobody go "huh, they sure do act like they are romantically in love" while working on the film? I just…ughhhhh

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
The from up on poppy hill was messed up for sure

But I never got the feeling that marnie movie was romantic at all - always saw it as a best friends/close friend type of situation (great movie and twist btw)

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
When Marnie Was There is such a great movie. I feel like it's really underrated within Studio Ghibli's body of work. One of the most relatable protagonists of all time for me. Can't say these undertones were all that pronounced for me but it's been a while since I've seen it. Relationships are complicated though.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Poppy Hill's resolution to the incest plot last minute was a really bad choice. Felt like it came out of nowhere. Still enjoy the heck out of it with the clubhouse plot.

Marnie, I get it. I didn't see romantic entanglement, but I get it.

But one film with unintentional incest out of 15+ Ghibli films. I mean... A phase?

Dec 30, 2020
From Up On Poppy Hill featured a girl and a guy that fell in love but it turns out they have the same dad. They are sad but obviously still are attracted to each other anyways. Then at the end of the movie its revealed that its a misunderstanding. But you know, they still confessed to each other while they were under the impression that they were related, so uh lol

When Marnie Was There has a girl constantly blush and obsess over a pretty girl who she goes to visit in secret frequently but it turns out the girl is her dead grandma
Hey hey hey. Hey. It doesn't count if they're dead.

At least, that's what my extensive research of YA vampire fiction has taught me.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I do not remember Marnie having any kind of undertones whatsoever. Never saw Poppy hill tho

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I legit watched Marnie thinking it was the most socially progressive Ghibli movie I had ever seen until the reveal happened. I don't know how anyone could watch that movie and not read it as two young girls discovering their attraction to each other. It did not read as friendship to me at all.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I can appreciate what Puppy Hill was going for given the confusion and displacement that happened with SO MANY peoples post-WW2.... It's still an icky-ass plot device. It's a relatively innocent film and I do like it for the most part. But I agree with the March above, it's resolved way too late and overall stains the film a little. I admit I wish it went for any other kind of drama even if it'd been done before.

Marnie is a little more interesting. You can def make a case for the main girl being gay (she blushes with Marnie a lot, dang it), but it also felt one-sided (Marnie often giving support and relating and being a companion to Anna's loneliness). I dunno, I thought the reveal was cute even if super contrived; but on a second viewing Marnie's angle makes a lot more sense, and it's sweet that this relative is sorta reaching out beyond the grave to help her troubled granddaughter since her life was filled with a number of personal difficulties/failures..

Last edited:

FelRes

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CA
I can see how someone might initially read romantic undertones to When Marnie Was There, but it's really all in your head and should be totally dispelled by the time you realize that's her grandma. It's just a really tender story, stop trying to make it creepy.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
"phase" being like 1 movie, 2 if you reach? They had 2 movies in between Poppy Hill and Marnie (Kaguya, Wind Rises).
I don't think there's anything to suggest that Studio Ghibli went through a weird incest phase

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Blushing doesn't always mean attraction. But I too felt some romantic undertones between the two girls when watching Marnie.
I can see how someone might initially read romantic undertones to When Marnie Was There, but it's really all in your head and should be totally dispelled by the time you realize that's her grandma. It's just a really tender story, stop trying to make it creepy.
I do not remember Marnie having any kind of undertones whatsoever. Never saw Poppy hill tho

I mean.... c'mon. It's not THAT hard to see why people read it that way. It's a sweet surprise reveal in the end, and their relationship is otherwise very cute and innocent; but Anna's 100% giving the gay vibes (and queer audiences deserve more coming of age/puppy love stories!).

2f0b604a48db4bf57e148b38bb2ac051.gif

XRZv.gif

AZP1.gif

092d0113d05e9ccdc41e3e0fb6fa6b59060154e0.gifv

f749aad5613c921324ed6dc436c85cee361f0819_hq.gif

f7d323d2bd24beb09579ae3cbe1a93d8fc6b39c2.gifv

(k no blush here, but that is a romantic-ass sunset they're rowing to)

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018
Poppy Hill is one of my favorites and I definitely don't find its plot incestuous at all. The main characters have just started to form a romantic bond when they each "discover," erroneously, that they are half-siblings. At this point they clearly feel uncomfortable and try to avoid each other. The very concept of 'two people who meet as teenage or adult strangers form a strong connection, but find out before starting a physical relationship that they may be related' is not a full-blown incestuous romance story to begin with and is realistic enough that it shouldn't be considered taboo. Anyway the ending is kind of predictable since from the start I think one of them admits they don't know which of the three men in the photo is their dad. But the frenetic bike ride to the dock so these poor kids can find out if it's ok for them to like each other is pretty funny imo.

Furthermore, I don't see what this has to do with incels???

I mean.... c'mon. It's not THAT hard to see why people read it that way. It's a sweet reveal in the end, and their relationship is very cute and innocent; but Anna's 100% giving the gay vibes (and queer audiences deserve more coming of age/puppy love stories!).
While we're on the topic, fuck Ocean Waves. What a stupid ending.

FelRes

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CA
I mean.... c'mon. It's not THAT hard to see why people read it that way. It's a sweet reveal in the end, and their relationship is sweet and innocent; but Anna's 100% giving gay vibes (and queer audiences deserve more coming of age/puppy love stories!).

XRZv.gif

AZP1.gif

I'm gay and no, that's just a really sweet bond. It happens. But I'm also used to anime pretty much always faking out when it comes to actual gay characters. They'd have to kiss or explicitly say so for me to consider it, and the way she says love in that case isn't really romantic.

Worldres

Mar 30, 2019
Okay, but the thing about When Marnie Was There that people seem to forget or leave out when they try to defend the movie making Ana and Marnie's relationship platonic is that Ana is re-living her grandfather's life. As in, she is watching the memories of when her grandparents fell in love through her grandfather's eyes. So it's supposed to be a completely platonic friendship, but at the same time it isn't supposed to be a surprise that the person whose memories she re-lived went on to marry Marnie and have a baby with her several years later...?

So because Ana is a girl, it's just a close friendship. But when literally the exact same scenario plays out from the point of view of a boy, it's a love story, because of course it is romantic when it is a boy and a girl. Even if their relationship started out as platonic and became romantic later (which is not what is implied), it's definitely carries some very uncomfortable implications for several reasons. So I hear you, OP.

I... am not fond of that movie at all.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gay and no, that's just a really sweet bond. It happens. But I'm also used to anime pretty much always faking out when it comes to actual gay characters. They'd have to kiss or explicitly say so for me to consider it, and the way she says love in that case isn't really romantic.

I think you also have to consider the ghibli context - they go big on friendship, childhood / innocence lost etc so that fits with the 'close bond' more than 'romantic relationship'

Ghibli visuals can be so evocative as to open itself to alternate impressions

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I'm just saying, it's not too surprising to me that there's a LOT of people who read it differently with the way it's coded, and without knowing better. The ending clears things up, and a second viewing has Marnie's more cryptic dialogue/appearances make a lot more sense; but I absolutely thought they were being WAY sweeter than most normal/casual friends would be at that point. >__> Like I'm sorry, I rarely touched my BFFs as much as they do, or call them "my previous secret", then help row a boat with them at sunset, touch hands, and shout "I FORGIVE/LOVE YOU".
(Which lo and behold, yes, they are indeed "more than friends" the ghost grandma part was certainly hard to predict tho).

I agree I didn't think anything actually romantic would come of it given the history of Ghibli/anime to depict that sort of subject matter for the big screen, and also the focus tending to be "growing up" (with Anne having a lot of emotional/psychological baggage that was bigger than the need for a directly romantic plot to "fix things").

The gifs I shared are arguably more intimate than what a lot of other Ghibli movies put forward for its "main couples".

Okay, but the thing about When Marnie Was There that people seem to forget or leave out when they try to defend the movie making Ana and Marnie's relationship platonic is that Ana is re-living her grandfather's life. As in, she is watching the memories of when her grandparents fell in love through her grandfather's eyes. So it's supposed to be a completely platonic friendship, but at the same time it isn't supposed to be a surprise that the person whose memories she re-lived went on to marry Marnie and have a baby with her several years later...?

So because Ana is a girl, it's just a close friendship. But when literally the exact same scenario plays out from the point of view of a boy, it's a love story, because of course it is romantic when it is a boy and a girl. Even if their relationship started out as platonic and became romantic later (which is not what is implied), it's definitely carries some very uncomfortable implications for several reasons. So I hear you, OP.

Honestly bravo for this take/perspective, I totally forgot the grandfather part fitting into this.

While we're on the topic, fuck Ocean Waves. What a stupid ending.

It's ...not very good. I almost think it's reflected in the shorter-than-most runtime.
Kind of a shame since I love Ghibli's more low-stakes plots; and I kinda liked having more truly flawed leads.

Last edited:

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'll take that any day over whatever they were doing in Laputa with soo many grown men attracted to an underage girl

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
They cannot control being attracted to each other but never do anything while they think they are siblings, they accept that they can't be together, that's the opposite of incest.

Metal Gear?!

Banned
Jun 26, 2020
I'm glad When Marine Was There is getting a critical re-appraisal due to everyone subbing to HBO Max for a month just for The Batman but as I understand it the Gay Ghost Grandma stuff is 100% from the book, which I guess as a children's book from a half century ago couldn't be explicitly gay and thus had to recontextualize the central relationship somehow... but that begs the question of why adapt this book?

As for From Up On Poppy Hill is there a book? Is it like that too?

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
My reading on Marnie was that it was that kind of mixture of unsure love and fascination that's easy to feel for someone else when you're a teenager. Not really love but not something you can really tell until some time after the fact.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
I love from up on poppy hill, legit one of my favourite ghibli movies

But yeah the plot twist just makes the last 10 minutes a bit shite. Completely uneccessary and just ruins what is a cute love story

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
From Up On Poppy Hill was one of the most fascinating movie-watching experiences I've had. It's one of the few times watching a movie that I had no idea what was going to happen next. It was thrilling in an odd way. Good movie, to be honest.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Poppy Hill was a fun watch because I really enjoyed it and also spent a good chunk of the movie absolutely terrified they were going to end it with 'incest is ok if you love each other enough' as a message somehow. I was so relieved when it didn't happen but also confused why it was a plot element in the first place.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
From Up on Poppy Hill sure, but I didn't get anything remotely romantic from Marnie, it was just a close friend. Blushing doesn't always mean what you think it means in anime.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I still can't believe people are posting "it was just a close friendship" when Ana is literally playing the part of her grandpa who falls in love and married Marnie as shown in your post.

But yeah we are the delusional ones who missed the point.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017

Well said.

When Marnie Was There is textually queer, it isn't just some reading that is up to interpretation. Ana is experiencing the same romance her grandfather did, the "Surprise! Marnie is her grandmother!" is what solidifies the queerness, not what makes it nonexistent.

And, yes, the "If you replace one girl with a boy no one wold call it platonic" is strong with this one.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I mean.... c'mon. It's not THAT hard to see why people read it that way. It's a sweet surprise reveal in the end, and their relationship is otherwise very cute and innocent; but Anna's 100% giving the gay vibes (and queer audiences deserve more coming of age/puppy love stories!).

XRZv.gif

AZP1.gif

f749aad5613c921324ed6dc436c85cee361f0819_hq.gif

Just gals being pals.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Poppy Hill was a fun watch because I really enjoyed it and also spent a good chunk of the movie absolutely terrified they were going to end it with 'incest is ok if you love each other enough' as a message somehow. I was so relieved when it didn't happen but also confused why it was a plot element in the first place.
Yeah, that movie had great art, great music, great setting in 60's Japan, interesting characters... and that whole weird incest plot was just not needed. It's a really good movie if not for that which is not something you want to think about.

The them song was just so good.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
No one is saying they *wanted* it to be her grandma, but that they thought the movie was about 2 girls falling in love up until that point. Calling people creepy for that carries some dark undertones I hope you didn't intend.