• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Palpatine was born evil.

Classic old school villain, no real motivation behind controlling the galaxy I guess.
From what we see he's not especially into women, or men, doesn't seem to lead a excessive lifestyle... Just power.
The expanded universe probably proves me wrong but from the movies alone, he's as unidimensional as can be.
If anything the EU just reinforced that. Dude was born to a rich family and was a sociopath even during his childhood.

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I believe the empire itself was canonically space racism. Of course the actual movies shows literally nothing motivation wise for some reason.

Sheev himself I think just wanted power in a mustache twirling villain way.

The fuck did Vader want

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
political and metaphysical power. he has exactly the same motivations as it appears from the outside to people who don't know he's a sith: dude used a war to install himself as the dictator of a military dictatorship. that is the goal, that is the motivation. not complicated.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
political and metaphysical power. he has exactly the same motivations as it appears from the outside to people who don't know he's a sith: dude used a war to install himself as the dictator of a military dictatorship. that is the goal, that is the motivation. not complicated.
Yes
If you were to ask this same question to the man himself all you'd get is a shrug.
QWoO.gif

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I believe the empire itself was canonically space racism. Of course the actual movies shows literally nothing motivation wise for some reason.

Sheev himself I think just wanted power in a mustache twirling villain way.

The fuck did Vader want
To overthrow Palpatine and take over the empire. Sith Master and apprentice relationships are toxic AF because they tend to end with the master being murdered.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Darth Maul, despite having little dialogue, summed up their motivations perfectly, "At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At least we will have revenge." The Jedi nearly wiped out the Sith and forced them into hiding, and they adopted the rule of 2, master and apprentice to survive. His goal was to wipe out the Jedi as revenge and take over the galaxy. He nearly accomplished both, but he left 2 alive that trained Luke. That plus the rebellion was his downfall.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
If they reveal why in episode 9 I want it to be as simple as because he felt like it.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sheev's takeover was funded by a group of shadowy, right-wing hedge fund managers and disaster capitalists. They posited that, by calling a state of emergency, it would create economic turmoil, allowing them to short the galactic economy for trillions of creds.

Their funding came with a number of other conditions, too, including: relaxing laws around the investigation of off-rim accounts and tax evasion, lowering galactic corporate tax altogether, and selling-off a number of ring-fenced, government services, such as the Galactic Health Service and Universal Social Care System.

Once Sheev had completely gutted the Republic, he was to spend a few years on the speaker circuit before ending up in a cushy, non-executive board of director role at Blackwater Systems. Unfortunately, Sheev found religion, and this whole sorry mess didn't quite pan out like that.

That reads like the scroll at the start EP1.

Oct 25, 2017
Dude just doesn't like taking orders. 🤷‍♂️ Ego the size of a death star.

Look at this face. This face loves being evil as much as Data loves scanning for life forms. Guy loves his job.
ORts3y2.jpg

Radrigal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite quote about him:

"...the man seems to find such joy in being pure evil, you gotta respect that. He even seems to get off a little in his pantaloons on how much hate he can feel in Anakin...He's fucking evil and he loves it. And he's got a goal he's working towards obtaining."

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Yeah the Darth Plagueis novel danced around the idea with a few people including Plagueis wondering if Palpatine himself could have been a direct manifestation of the Dark Side itself. Palpatines own father tells him he wish he had killed him as a baby because he knew even then there was something off about Palpatine and how he acted as a baby

wait that's actually hardcore

KenobiLTS

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Why do you think he's evil? Maybe Jedi are evil! He just wanted peace and freedom for his new empire.