• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
I completely took it for granted that we would be getting post release support after the original game on Wii U. Very odd to see this set and forget with the sequel.

Also something something Mario Party.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
I dont necessarily care too much about new parts and styles, I just want them to fix searching.

I'm so sick of the popular levels just being a bunch of 20 second "speedrun" type levels. They're not exciting or creative whatsoever.

But then if you go on detailed search, it doesnt matter how you tweak your settings, you're always mostly gonna be getting those same speed run levels unless you go on super expert or sort them by clear rate (which means get ready for a bunch of shoddy levels.)

I knew SMM1 had an Auto Mario problem for a bit, but it was never this bad or annoying.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing they have better things to do. It's already a huge, well-polished game as-is. What's the point of sinking more resources into it?

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the culture is post launch updates exists much within Nintendo internally. Namco Bandai with Smash and DNA with the mobile games is one thing, but EPD is another.

I don't think NM is the one that decides whether Smash gets DLC or not, there's plenty of Nintendo games that do get support after launch, like MK8, the Splatoon games, Mario Tennis Aces, Xenoblade 2., Zelda BoTW.

SMM2 is the odd one out, it's a perfect type of game to add more content to.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Party and Maker 2 are the only 2019 games I bought that were published by Nintendo. Both were a lot of fun but both had important missing elements that one would have assumed would have been fixed with updates or DLCs. Maker 2 added a thing or two, but none of the rumored stuff went anywhere. Party is even more egregious: the game simply lacks enough content for the price point, and they added a whopping nothing to it, probably already working in full force for another 60 Euros game instead. It's baffling.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Does Nintendo think of Mario Maker 2 as really just Mario Maker 1 "complete" edition with a different campaign and some new tweaks?

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
My headcanon is that they're saving content to come alongside the potential extra game style with a big ol' update either before Christmas (looking unlikely!) or January when they presumably have their start of year direct.

Yeah, I figured they'd probably release a big update around Black Friday to boost holiday sales of the game, though that's looking unlikely now. Maybe we could still get something in December or early next year though.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I guess it's safe to say they just want to put out more substantial updates than we got for SMM1.
It does seem like they are indeed doing a sizable update scheme, different from ARMS and Splatoon 2 for Switch (although the latter got a full expansion, but that was paid and a year after release). One might expect another such a major update in H1 2020 I think.

Oct 29, 2017
I guess it's safe to say they just want to put out more substantial updates than we got for SMM1.

I dunno, this doesn't strike me as anything bigger than what we got for SMM1.

The first update came with a new mode as well (Event Courses - which are actually a pretty similar concept as the Ninji Speedruns anyway), a new difficulty for Gnat Attack, the Checkpoint Flag, and the context sensitive powerups; alongside various new easter eggs (like the different Weird Mario poses when knocking on doors with the touch screen).

A later update also brought in Keys & Locked Doors, probably the single biggest addition ever made to the series so far; that was not a minor thing!

I get the feeling that this update was originally due to come out much sooner, but they had to delay it in order to accomodate the development of the Online With Friends option (which probably wasn't planned at all, until they heard the outcry from fans online).

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I dunno, this doesn't strike me as anything bigger than what we got for SMM1.

The first update came with a new mode as well (Event Courses - which are actually a pretty similar concept as the Ninji Speedruns anyway), a new difficulty for Gnat Attack, the Checkpoint Flag, and the context sensitive powerups; alongside various new easter eggs (like the different Weird Mario poses when knocking on doors with the touch screen).

A later update also brought in Keys & Locked Doors, probably the single biggest addition ever made to the series so far; that was not a minor thing!

I get the feeling that this update was originally due to come out much sooner, but they had to delay it in order to accomodate the development of the Online With Friends option (which probably wasn't planned at all, until they heard the outcry from fans online).

I don't know if I am really on board with your theory, but I agree that this update feels stangely late. I would have expected it in September at least.

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
The Master Sword update might get me to buy the game.

Wow. Cannot wait to see the creative courses people come up with

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The game was completely overdue for an update. I don't blame anyone who would've thought Nintendo had abandoned it with how they've handled SMM2 so far.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They've said content updates are coming, though. Maybe they're planning a big content update at some point.

Oh lord, I thought the date said "Today" instead of "Tuesday", and I refresh the forum and there's a content update thread. LOL!

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I hope the Link power up is only the beginning. If they got rid of the cosmetic NES costumes in the SMB1 theme so they could replace them with more substantial character-themed power ups that affect gameplay I'd be happy to make that trade. A Metroid/Samus one would be great, Space Jump, Spider Ball, Bombs, etc.

I'm still holding out hope that they'll add a Mario 2 theme.

Ashler

Oct 27, 2017
This has got to be the pinacle of a thread aging well!
Try Metroid Prime Trilogy next please, OP!

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We already knew more content was coming.

What's funny is that the responses in first page don't mention the fact that Nintendo confirmed more content was coming, people will just ignore whatever is announced and just assume on their own.
people ignoring facts that go against their narrative? i can't believe someone on internet would do that

Status
Not open for further replies.