• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
It was about about cutting cost. Not having DVD and using the cheaper Dolby Pro Logic II audio format saved them a few buck per unit Backnon my Planet GameCube days we had a break down on cost of each license and howmuch it rasie the price. It would not have been $199 at launch had it those 2 features. (Or so I remember)

Also dont GameCube drives spin backwards so DVD wouldn't spin the right way in the drive anyway.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I recall Nintendo publicly claiming that it was for load times. The discs could hold only like 1.5GB of data and that closed matched the speed the system could load data (1.5GB/s or something) along those lines.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
The fact that the Dreamcast was so easily cracked probably played a role in them not wanting to just use regular CD/DVDs. It's funny how I had no clue about that for years either.. the world was a very different place then.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
It was about about cutting cost. Not having DVD and using the cheaper Dolby Pro Logic II audio format saved them a few buck per unit Backnon my Planet GameCube days we had a break down on cost of each license and howmuch it rasie the price. It would not have been $199 at launch had it those 2 features. (Or so I remember)

Also dont GameCube drives spin backwards so DVD wouldn't spin the right way in the drive anyway.
Another cost saver: Nintendo didn't have to pay royalties to the DVD Forum by going proprietary.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
The fact that the Dreamcast was so easily cracked probably played a role in them not wanting to just use regular CD/DVDs. It's funny how I had no clue about that for years either.. the world was a very different place then.
This. Piracy was soooooooo bad with dreamcast. It was so easy, a boot disc and away you go.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Those mini discs were so cool. Felt so good to put them in the cube. I think you got a little better loading due to the smaller size. Of course at the expense of less space on the disc compared to a DVD.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
the DVD format was new and they'd have to license them from Sony which ...of course ... at that time ...nah. That's why you make your own. Note how they also never used Blu-rays. They had another propriety format for Wii U discs (dem round edges!).

That's also why their drives never read regular "DVDs" or "CDs" - because of licensing they'd have to sort out with Sony, who owns all of those.

DVD is owned and licensed by the DVD Forum, Blu-ray by the Blu-ray Association.
Sony is one member (of many) on either consortium, but at no point would Nintendo have had to sort out anything with Sony.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was Nintendo being Nintendo. They did not want to pay royalties for the use of the DVD format.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Did they not develop the standard or something of that nature? Have I been lied to all these years?
They developed the hardware spec but not the format the discs use. That's why they only had to use the miniDVD, DVD and BD formats are used in their systems but cannot play back any normal format discs without software changes.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think GC's drive is a standard DVD drive, there's nothing special about it. A hacked console can read regular DVDs. They just cut them down for reasons, and certainly for piracy it wasn't effective, the PSO hack released quickly, in 2003 or so.

It was to avoid paying any royalty most probably. They did the same with the Wii not having movie playback.

Kid Night

Oct 27, 2017
As I understand they were smaller to fight piracy, and they could load slightly faster, and Nintendo didn't have to pay DVD licensing fees.

Kid Night

Oct 27, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think GC's drive is a standard DVD drive, there's nothing special about it. A hacked console can read regular DVDs. They just cut them down for reasons, and certainly for piracy it wasn't effective, the PSO hack released quickly, in 2003 or so.

It was to avoid paying any royalty most probably. They did the same with the Wii not having movie playback.
Not quite standard. GC mini DVDs were burned and read backwards as an anti piracy measure. Besides spinning backwards, I don't know if there was anything else special about the drive.

RobFox64tm

Oct 30, 2017
Why did you hate them? I never had a problem with the discs as a kid. In fact I liked them at the time because I thought it was this cool new medium. Didn't really see mini DVDs in the wild outside from Gamecube games.
Well the size constraints of the smaller discs when compared to its contemporaries did limit what the discs could do. Some games had to be on multiple discs, or sometimes audio and video had to be more compressed, for example. It always seemed unnecessary to me.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
pretty sure they're just DVD format disks with some copy protection and modded consoles just need a bit of plastic inside the tray removed for regular disks to fit or foe people to the smaller and costlier 8cm dvdr disks

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they don't spin backwards... you can confirm this yourself by depressing the lid sensor and watching a disk spin

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's "control" thing was often about making themselves indispensable towards their so-called allies. Remember, before the NES, anyone who was capable of making games for a system was able to make games for that system. Like, Activision (originally founded by former Atari employees) made a bunch of Atari 2600 games, and Atari had no control over those sales and never saw a dime from them. Which is why Nintendo invented the lockout chip, as a weapon against Nintendo's "allies". Nintendo's third parties are only Nintendo's third parties when they are aware who is the boss in this relationship.

In the NES/SNES days, Nintendo told their third parties that there was a silicon shortage and so the prices had to go up, and that Nintendo needed more control over the size of print runs, and many third parties complained about that, and Nintendo's attitude was "Well, you can't make cartridges, only we can make cartridges, so that makes us the experts and that makes us right, so STFU and get back in line." And then Namco proved that they could make cartridges in response to Nintendo's dare, which caused some friction (and led to Namco supporting Sony heavily at the PlayStation launch, because they were tired of Nintendo's BS).

CD's/DVD's were something easy. They were something that anyone could produce. Which terrified Nintendo, because now the only thing holding your place as leader is your worthiness to lead (which is something that Nintendo should have worked on more and had more confidence in, but instead they responded by going in the opposite direction, and made bad leadership decisions because they were afraid that they were unworthy leaders).

If blank DVDs were something you could get from your local Walmart, that undermined Nintendo's position as their exclusive provider. If exclusive mini-DVDs were something you could only get from Nintendo, who could only get them from Panasonic (who agreed not to sell them to anyone else), that's more comfortable for Nintendo. It validates Nintendo's reason for existing.

Lower latency/seek times? Coming from cartridges I think they wanted to try to cut that down.

(However I don't know if it would be any better vs a data layout on a normal dvd that focussed data around the center of the disc... but I think I recall at the time, talk of lower latency access)
Nintendo boasted about their partial superiority to PS2 DVDs, but the GameCube's DVD drive was almost identical to the XBox's DVD drive in terms of performance, but with GameCube using the worst 1/3rd of the DVD. Contrary to Nintendo's claims, the smallest part of the DVD is not the prime cut of the DVD, it's the ass of the DVD. The best 1/3rd of an XBox DVD would be the outer ring with a larger hole in the middle of the disc. Every XBox game put the vast majority of their game data on a part of the disc that beat anything GameCube was capable of.

The only speed advantage GameCube had over XBox was that GameCube games were forced to be tiny.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your video straight up talks about how he has a specially modified case to be able to hold the DVD.

Also, it is a DVD format, just not full sized, and most games didn't need more than the one disc -- those that did easily fit two disks inside of the case.
A lot of games were compromised to fit onto the small proprietary disc format of the GameCube, it was mainly a problem for multi-platform titles.

Astra Planeta

Jan 26, 2018
. Contrary to Nintendo's claims, the smallest part of the DVD is not the prime cut of the DVD, it's the ass of the DVD. The best 1/3rd of an XBox DVD would be the outer ring with a larger hole in the middle of the disc. Every XBox game put the vast majority of their game data on a part of the disc that beat anything GameCube was capable of.

Is that because that part of the disc is spinning faster?

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Is that because that part of the disc is spinning faster?
Yes. It depends on if the drive and disc are using CLV versus CAV. GC used CAV which is why games were read outside-in. A lot of PS2 games used this later to get better loading times, but the games being smallish and then the PS2 authoring adding a bunch of padding (either by manually setting an LBA or literally putting in a huge dummy file or two).

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Lower latency/seek times? Coming from cartridges I think they wanted to try to cut that down.

(However I don't know if it would be any better vs a data layout on a normal dvd that focussed data around the center of the disc... but I think I recall at the time, talk of lower latency access)
Seek times would generally be lower but read times were slower. All other things being equal, a bigger disc will produce better read speeds than a smaller disc.

Why didn't they go with a mini disc for N64?
They wouldn't move away from cartridges until it was emphatically demonstrated to them that discs were the better format for home consoles. That's what the PSone did. They sat there for years watching publishers choose vastly cheaper discs with much higher capacities and eventually it sunk in.

I recall Nintendo publicly claiming that it was for load times. The discs could hold only like 1.5GB of data and that closed matched the speed the system could load data (1.5GB/s or something) along those lines.
1x DVD read speed was 11 megabits per second maximum. GameCube had maybe a 4x drive? Someone can correct me if that's wrong. The read speeds would have been measured in single-digit megabytes per second at most.

If it could read gigabytes per second there wouldn't have been load times. The GameCube only has 43MB of RAM across all memory pools. A disc with read speed of 1.5 gigabytes per second would have filled RAM in a negligible fraction of a second and you'd never see a load screen. I don't know what you read or heard but, sorry to say, it was bollocks.

It was Nintendo being Nintendo. They did not want to pay royalties for the use of the DVD format.
They definitely didn't want to pay royalties, but they didn't need to go to a miniature disc to do that. They could have just taken the standard DVD format and altered it on the logical level and avoided royalties that way, which is exactly what they did with Wii and Wii U.

It's actually what they did with GameCube as well. 8cm discs are part of the DVD spec. They took that existing format and altered it enough that it was proprietary.

To what degree did piracy affect Sony's revenue during the PSX days anyway?
You'll never get any kind of definitive answer on this. There were certainly people who pirated games who would otherwise have bought them, to Sony's detriment. There were also certainly people who bought the console just to be able to pirate games, to Sony's benefit. There were also people who got introduced to games that way, probably to Sony's short-term detriment and long-term benefit. Accounting for that combination of effects just isn't possible.

May 13, 2019
You'll never get any kind of definitive answer on this. There were certainly people who pirated games who would otherwise have bought them, to Sony's detriment. There were also certainly people who bought the console just to be able to pirate games, to Sony's benefit. There were also people who got introduced to games that way, probably to Sony's short-term detriment and long-term benefit. Accounting for that combination of effects just isn't possible.
Here in South America Sony reigned supreme due to the fact you could buy 20 PSX games for the price of a single N64 game, so the bold part hits the nail on the head.

Astra Planeta

Jan 26, 2018

You may be thinking of the speed of the FSB on the cube - that was 1.3 GB/s. But that was moving around data already in RAM to the CPU and vice versa. Getting the data into memory from the disc was much slower.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
The Nintendo difference. They needed to be taken kicking and screaming into disc format inclusion. Same with online play.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Another argument they had in favor of the tiny discs was that it meant that less budget-inflated games would have an easier chance to shine on the platform since the disc format meant that most developers would have a hard limit for how much content they'd be pushing.

I don't know that this worked out in practice, though, especially since a lot of quirky, less-expensive games found solid audience numbers on the PS2 anyway and few of them even bothered making their way to GC.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Another argument they had in favor of the tiny discs was that it meant that less budget-inflated games would have an easier chance to shine on the platform since the disc format meant that most developers would have a hard limit for how much content they'd be pushing.

I don't know that this worked out in practice, though, especially since a lot of quirky, less-expensive games found solid audience numbers on the PS2 anyway and few of them even bothered making their way to GC.
I honestly always wanted to peer into the alternate reality where they chose normal DVDs instead of mini and ended up with ports and/or original games that were otherwise on PS2 and Xbox. Imagine not having multi-disc games!

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Pretty much what everyone else said: controlled manufacturing and piracy prevention.

Also for everyone more curious about the Panasonic Q, The Gaming Historian did a pretty good video about it:

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I remember at one point, publishers complained that Nintendo was charging a higher royalty on GameCube than Sony was on PS2, even though GameCube was clearly failing.

Nintendo's response was "We think people are willing to pay a premium for our superior product."

About a month later, Nintendo lowered their royalty rate to match Sony's.

Nintendo was kind of floundering all over the place in that era. They said a lot of things, many of which were good, but they also undermined themselves in a thousand different ways, and it's no wonder they failed.

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Because they had a year or two to see how trivial it was to pirate Dreamcast games and react accordingly.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Yes, because the smaller disc allowed Nintendo to spin the disc at a constant speed, lowering the seek times considerably. The gc can stream data faster than the other consoles at the time.
The loading times were only because of the system moving its data faster internally, not because of the discs. They only read 16-25Mbit/s, compared to ~22Mbit/s on a 2x DVD drive like in the PS2. The size of the disc was almost a nonfactor and, if anything, could have hampered it if they didn't push all of the data to the outer edge of the disc and read it inward.