• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Do we now expect the Series S to have a disc drive? I never thought it would.
I think all of the rumors have said digital. The physical game cases only say Xbox one and series x, so them not saying S points towards digital only. Of course the thing hasn't been announced yet, but I'd say digital only.

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017
Will the new Series S be really more powerful than the One X?

I mean, I know the CPU will be vastly superior, but if it does end up being 4TF, isn't that still 50% worse than the X's 6TF?

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
There is just 1 case where X could have advantage over XBSS - resolution. X has more memory, bandwidth and compute power.
Framerate will be more stable on XBSS anyway due much better CPU.

Yeah but it's one or the other for back compat. It's either going to run the One S or One X version of games that won't see a patch. It seems they will just choose to just run One S versions for all games. That's a lot of games and definitely the one negative for the console. It seems so close to being able to do X Enhanced games.

Oct 28, 2017
It probably wont buy I think it should as not every existing Xbox customer will get a Series X some will bite on the Series S and need to be able to play their disc for BC.
I think all of the rumors have said digital. The physical game cases only say Xbox one and series x, so them not saying S points towards digital only. Of course the thing hasn't been announced yet, but I'd say digital only.

Makes Sense

I mean, I know the CPU will be vastly superior, but if it does end up being 4TF, isn't that still 50% worse than the X's 6TF?

If you locked the One X to 1080p it would still have to work harder to provide the same results as the Series S.

Not sure if this helps but let's take a Porsche 911 which all models have a V6 engine against say a V8 Lincoln Town Car. The Towncar is built to be a smooth ride but has a bigger engine however, in a performance race with a 911, even though it's a smaller v6 the Porsche will dust the Lincoln in every way.

This means nothing if your not a car guy but I have Naruto and Dragon Ball Z references on demand.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC

Yes, it will be. Series S is RDNA2, so the teraflops are not a 1:1 comparison. Combine this with the custom silicon SSD and the CPU you mention and it will clearly feel next-gen.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They've boxed themselves in with their idiotic naming conventions.

So, they need to sacrifice the closest price competitive model to make the value proposition for their entry level model.

Kris1977

Nov 25, 2017
To those with more technical knowledge than me. Will the series S be able to play Xbox one titles better than the X does?

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
To those with more technical knowledge than me. Will the series S be able to play Xbox one titles better than the X does?
If they are cpu bound they will run better, and loading times will be great.

The S has less memory (but faster) and less raw theoretical power (flops) than the X which might cause problems running the X profile as it is unless the game is patched.

But with Xbox bc team being the wizards they are, I wouldn't say anything for certain until the official announcement.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
The reason is pretty straightforward, because the target audience for One X and PS4 Pro are enthusiasts and gamers, who want the best hardware (in their ecosystem). Series X and PS5 will be these consoles and Pro/X won't have many potential buyers, unless they get a massive price cut.

Yes, because outside of the amount of RAM everything is better in Lockhart compared to Xbox One X. This includes the GPU, which is more modern and efficient than the One X GPU.

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this helps but let's take a Porsche 911 which all models have a V6 engine against say a V8 Lincoln Town Car. The Towncar is built to be a smooth ride but has a bigger engine however, in a performance race with a 911, even though it's a smaller v6 the Porsche will dust the Lincoln in every way.

This means nothing if your not a car guy but I have Naruto and Dragon Ball Z references on demand.
Totally makes sense now (btw 911s don't use V6s but they are 6 cylinder engines in another configuration).

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah but it's one or the other for back compat. It's either going to run the One S or One X version of games that won't see a patch. It seems they will just choose to just run One S versions for all games. That's a lot of games and definitely the one negative for the console. It seems so close to being able to do X Enhanced games.

Hmm. I'm considering replacing my One X with a Series S on day one even as I will continue to largely play cross-gen or last-gen games. But if One X is able to achieve 4K for a game like Assassin's Creed Valhalla while Series S is not, that complicates things.

Guess I'll just continue to wait on the official info. :)

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Is there a real reason for that? I mean the console could do 4K and then some. I personally thought they would discontinue the Xbox One S as it's less weaker. Would by keeping the Xbox One X keep people from buying the Xbox Series S?

The One X isn't in any way comparable to the Series S. Yeah, it can play current gen games at 4K because that's what it was designed for. It still has largely the same RAM and glacially slow CPU and I/O as the One S, so it will never act as a viable alternative to the Series S, which is basically just a Series X for people with 1080p displays.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017

It's a lot more efficient than the old x1x architecture. Just the gpu alone is on par or better than the 6tf in the x1x, but everything else around it is worlds above the old console. They really aren't that comparable.

Series s play xbone games better than series x? No. Better than x1x? yes.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Hey, sorry if this has been covered earlier, but how do we know that the One S v2 isn't just the name in the system for the series S?

Oct 28, 2017
No point in restocking once supplies dwindle.

Xbox Series S - the entry level console for next-gen will be superior for probably around the same price as the One X.

Its also not like a separation between generations say like from PS3 to PS4 where it made sense for Sony to continue making a low cost PS3 for a period of time after PS4 released since PS3 games would not work on PS4. With Series S and Series X being fully backward compatible, it would be very redundant to keep the One X around.

Joo

May 25, 2018

These absolutely understandable assumptions just show that MS definitely doesn't need any more confusion with all the X consoles on the market.

Series S will still cause confusion with the average buyers whether there's One X available or not, and that's only because how plainly tflops have been presentented in marketing. But as far as we know, Series S tflops aren't comparable to One X's, and tflop count alone is a very misleading way to measure the performance of a console.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
it's old gen (it could probably keep up nicely if it had a good CPU, but the Jaguar cores are awful) , and buying the old gen from now on only makes sense if it's cheap, the X is not cheap to produce

Rikimaru

Nov 2, 2017
If they are cpu bound they will run better, and loading times will be great.

The S has less memory (but faster) and less raw theoretical power (flops) than the X which might cause problems running the X profile as it is unless the game is patched.

But with Xbox bc team being the wizards they are, I wouldn't say anything for certain until the official announcement.
Series S memory is not faster. One X has more bandwidth in fact.

The reason is pretty straightforward, because the target audience for One X and PS4 Pro are enthusiasts and gamers, who want the best hardware (in their ecosystem). Series X and PS5 will be these consoles and Pro/X won't have many potential buyers, unless they get a massive price cut.

Yes, because outside of the amount of RAM everything is better in Lockhart compared to Xbox One X. This includes the GPU, which is more modern and efficient than the One X GPU.
One X has more RAM, more bandwidth and more compute power (MS says RDNA is 25% faster, but one X has 50% more flops).

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
If the S doesent have a disc drive, the One X would definitely be a better proposition. More TF, cheaper games, etc.

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017

One X has more RAM, more bandwidth and more compute power (MS says RDNA is 25% faster, but one X has 50% more flops).

Where did MS say that RDNA was 25% faster? I don't remember seeing such numbers coming from their mouth or Sony's mouth. From benchmark tinkering (https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-teraflop-face-off-current-gen-vs-next-gen), RDNA 1 is, at worse and most of the time, 50% more performant per FLOP than GCN. And RDNA 2.0 should go even further.

Same for the bandwitdth, where does it says that Series S would have less bw than One X? One X has 326 Gb/s and we don't actually know for Series S. But if it picks anything from Series X, we could have a split pool with part being 560Gb/s and the other 336GB/S (both being higher than Series X

The only thing that might be true in your statement, is about total RAM, as Series S is rumoured to have only 10GB (vs 12 for One X).

But, SSD can largely make up for the difference and CPU is wildly more powerful.

Series S should end up being a much stronger console than One X could ever be, on all fronts, GPU (a bit) but mostly CPU and SSD.

Hence why One X has not valid market positionning anymore and needs to be removed.

Rikimaru

Nov 2, 2017
Where did MS say that RDNA was 25% faster? I don't remember seeing such numbers coming from their mouth or Sony's mouth. From benchmark tinkering (https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-teraflop-face-off-current-gen-vs-next-gen), RDNA 1 is, at worse and most of the time, 50% more performant per FLOP than GCN. And RDNA 2.0 should go even further.

Same for the bandwitdth, where does it says that Series S would have less bw than One X? One X has 326 Gb/s and we don't actually know for Series S. But if it picks anything from Series X, we could have a split pool with part being 560Gb/s and the other 336GB/S (both being higher than Series X

The only thing that might be true in your statement, is about total RAM, as Series S is rumoured to have only 10GB (vs 12 for One X).

But, SSD can largely make up for the difference and CPU is wildly more powerful.

Series S should end up being a much stronger console than One X could ever be, on all fronts, GPU (a bit) but mostly CPU and SSD.

Hence why One X has not valid market positionning anymore and needs to be removed.
How do you know that? Logically GDDR6 should be faster than GDDR5.
Wide memory bus is expensive. Also more chips - more expensive. Probably no split.

" CUs have 25% better perf/clock compared to last gen "

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Because those are too expensive for them as they mostly sold them way below the normal price which is usually not the case for XB1s.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
They didn't wait till the replacement was out which could mean they had surplus stock or they were taking too much loss per unit.

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
Wide memory bus is expensive. Also more chips - more expensive. Probably no split.

" CUs have 25% better perf/clock compared to last gen "

Perf/clock is not equal to perf/flop

Clock is MUCH higher on Series S GPU (1.55 Ghz according to Tom Warren vs 1.172 Ghz for One X).

And your bandwidth assessment is therefore pure speculation.

Edit : in fact, making quick calculation (that might not be representative of how things actually work, just « guesstimation »), One X has 60% more CU than One S (32 vs 20).

But Series S CU are preforming 65% better than One X CU's (32% more frequency and 25% more performance per clock : 1.32 x 1.25 = 1.65).

It should thus come to more or less similar GPU power, with slight advantage to Series S.

Last edited:

rafiii

Feb 7, 2019
One X serves no purpose in Microsoft strategy, One S is a baseline for xcloud. That's why.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
TBH, I wouldn't be too surprised that the only reason the Xbox One S hasn't been discontinued is because demand for consoles was way higher than expected due the pandemic, and Microsoft needed *something* on shelves before November. I would not be surprised if the Xbox One S is also discontinued shortly after the Series S is released.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020

One X has more RAM, less bandwidth and a RDNA1 GPU at ~4TF already performs better than Xbox One X. As others said RDNA2 is even more efficient.

The only advantage One X has is the amount of RAM and even that's arguably not a advantage, considering Lockhart will have a SSD, ... to use RAM more efficiently.

"We observed that typically, only a small percentage of memory loaded by games was ever accessed," reveals Goossen.
www.eurogamer.net

Inside Xbox Series X: the full specs

This is it. After months of teaser trailers, blog posts and even the occasional leak, we can finally reveal firm, hard …

To clarify, games on current gen loaded lots of data into RAM, since the HDD are very slow. Thus a huge amount of RAM was wasted and with a SSD more of the RAM can be used for the current scene as data can be transferred to RAM more quickly.

Last edited:

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I would've ditched the S and kept the X so their lower end console is still powerful enough, but I guess it didn't make sense for them financially.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
One X is a product for enthusiasts. It makes no sense to have it when Series X exists, and when Series S, a product aimed at casual public, is more powerful. One S is still there because it can be very cheap even compared to Series S.

I also expect Sony to discontinue Pro in the next few months and continue making base PS4 for a few years.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
One X is probably too expensive to manufacture to justify still making it
They probably couldn't make it significantly cheaper than the Series S