• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
I think most games coming out in the next 12 months (likely not many all told), will still be optimized for 1X and PS4 Pro, but after that, most games aren't going to be coming to 1X/PS4 Pro anyway, so it's kind of a moot point.

Well, if it's more powerful than the Series S and games are optimized for that, but not the One X, I'll be a little annoyed.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Y'all know that Sony is still manufacturing ps4 and PS4 pros and will probably still do it for a time after ps5, right? My real guess is x1x wasn't as successful as they expected. It has nothing to do with what you people are saying.

There's shortages of PS4 and PS4 Pro all over the place, and rumors are that Sony has scaled back production in order to ramp up for the PS5. Demand is still there, especially with GoT selling so well. Wouldn't surprise me if manufacturing and supply lines played a big role in the discontinuation of the XB1X.

Despite things improving in China, COVID is still impacting manufacturing.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
What version of the One is more popular, i was watching Digital Foundry's impressions of the THPS demo and i had forgotten how MS launched a machine not even capable of HD gaming this gen, made me wonder which version was more popular.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
That's got a lot more to do with when that game was supposed to drop.

Well no. The 1X is being replaced as an enthusiast high end model by the XSX. The SS is next gen's 1S, the baseline machine, and it isn't even a direct replacement for the 1X as it won't be able to run 1X patched xb1 games due to lack of RAM.

We'll need to know the cost before stating that as fact. What we know now is that it will be a more affordable next gen machine.

XSS replacing the X was from a cost perspective

S will be 'cheapest' way to get into xbox consoles just as 360 slim continued to sell in targeted markets when the One was released

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Cause the console bombed like mad and XSX and specially XSS are coming and those will be(and rightfully so) the main focus going forward. One S is just cheaper and more marketable as the old product to keep in store.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Is there a real reason for that? I mean the console could do 4K and then some. I personally thought they would discontinue the Xbox One S as it's less weaker. Would by keeping the Xbox One X keep people from buying the Xbox Series S?
But could it run games that were 30fps at 60fps?

And if series S can't do that, there is zero point to the system.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
What version of the One is more popular, i was watching Digital Foundry's impressions of the THPS demo and i had forgotten how MS launched a machine not even capable of HD gaming this gen, made me wonder which version was more popular.

From what I understand, sales of the mid-generation refresh versions of both the PS4 and the Xbox One accounted for about 20% of new console sales after they launched.

So, maybe, 10% of the units of Xbox One sold were Xbox One X over the lifetime of the product?

Someone with sales knowledge can correct me if they know better.

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I imagine because the Series S will retail for the same price as the One X was sold at, so they'd rather just people buy the Series S when it comes out, and they're probably fine with the 3 month gap where there is only one model of the original Xbox One to buy

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
confusing to have an Xbox One X and an Xbox Series X on the same shelf

it's gonna be replaced by the Series S whenever that thing launches

idk

it's weird
It's confusing already, even without Xbox One X.

Now there's gonna be Xbox One S, Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X.
Naming wise, it's almost Wii U level of confusion. Fortunately the new Xbox Series X looks completey different.
Now MS needs to unveil the design for the Series S.

Oct 25, 2017
The situation with the One X/Series S is going to be an interesting one. It's safe to assume the One X will be playing something like Halo Infinite in 4K. But the Series S is a 1080p/1440p machine (supposedly). How would that work?
The series s is focused on providing a 1080 1440p solution for next-gen games not that it can't output 4K. Considering Halo infinite is a crossgen title there's no reason to expect it won't be 4K series s.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, the One/One S is an HD console just towards the lower end.

720 is still considered HD. And it had alot of games at 900p, some at 1080p

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Pricing delema. MS needs series S to be substantially cheaper than PS5D but at the same time they can't have a last gen console costing very close to their next gen box. Removing XB1X is the only solution.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
According to the leaks and reporting, Xbox Series S should play all of the same games as the Series X with the same settings including ray tracing but at 1080p. The Xbox One X would struggle with ray tracing. It is actually the most obsolete in terms of its pricing. If you already have one, it's fine to continue using it. But it's not worth buying right now because you'd get so much more from either Series systems.
The One X doesn't have the hardware to legitimately attempt RT, but then even the XsX really doesn't close the door there without major performance trade offs. Even per MS' own principle architect RT is basically an added layer of fidelity for most devs building for next gen.

Which makes sense. Nvidia is well ahead of AMD on RT hardware and the only way even their high end cards can reasonably do RT with 4K60 is to fake it with some level of DLSS (which is undeniably impressive).

Only pointing this out because people shouldn't get so hung up on RT as some kind of game changer. We're getting bigger game changers with next gen in storage speed, CPU capability, and truly current gen feature sets for GPUs (whereas last gen we got two consoles that were a generation behind the full GPU package, not just TFLOPS).

To answer the OP:
The Xbox One X was made to play Xbox One games at something north of 1080p, and outputting to support 4K TVs.

The Xbox One S is basically that in reverse, its the Xbox Series X with the raw GPU pixel power decreased to meet 1080p/1440p.

Microsoft isn't going to be making Xbox One games for much longer and the One X has never and will never meet economies of scale needed to meaningfully reduce its build costs. It was a boutique item from the start.

If you have a 1080p TV the XsS is a better buy: it will output better games in every way than what the One X can do on a 1080p TV.

If you have a 4K TV the XsX is a better buy since: it will output better games in every way by an even greater margin than what the One X can do on a 4K TV.

The Xbox One S meanwhile is a very viable platform for global markets where the new line is economically non-viable, and as an entry to XCloud/Game Pass.

This is microsoft attempting to cover all meaningful market angles. They follow Sony's lead in using their previous generation as a springboard into developing markets, they have the XsS for people who are content with 1080p or are looking for a more cost conscious system who won't mind a budget 4K TV up-scaling, and they have a high end.

Its about the broadest approach to the market we've ever seen someone shoot for. The real questions to me are:
1. is this too much noise for consumers to sort out v. Sony's much cleaner "both equal, one with a drive and one without" method
2. how strongly will Sony's market presence/loyalty tilt the scales regardless of MS' diverse offerings.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The One X doesn't have the hardware to legitimately attempt RT, but then even the XsX really doesn't close the door there without major performance trade offs. Even per MS' own principle architect RT is basically an added layer of fidelity for most devs building for next gen.

Which makes sense. Nvidia is well ahead of AMD on RT hardware and the only way even their high end cards can reasonably do RT with 4K60 is to fake it with some level of DLSS (which is undeniably impressive).

Only pointing this out because people shouldn't get so hung up on RT as some kind of game changer. We're getting bigger game changers with next gen in storage speed, CPU capability, and truly current gen feature sets for GPUs (whereas last gen we got two consoles that were a generation behind the full GPU package, not just TFLOPS).

Yeah, people kept getting fussy about the Halo RT update coming later, and I always took that as AMD's side of things just wasn't ready. But we also just don't know exactly how AMD's approach to ray tracing is going to perform on its dedicated hardware. But I generally agree that it's probably not worth pinning hopes on RT to define the visuals for the upcoming console generation.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
The situation with the One X/Series S is going to be an interesting one. It's safe to assume the One X will be playing something like Halo Infinite in 4K. But the Series S is a 1080p/1440p machine (supposedly). How would that work?
At this point, knowing it's had a troubled development cycle, even before Covid hit, I wouldn't be surprised if they debut it again and it's only for the Series S and X.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd imagine it's a cost of manufacturing issue. The S is probably much cheaper and easier to keep around as an 'entry-level' system.

yep I'd imagine it's this as well, they want the Xbox One they keep around to be cheap & it's likely easier for them to slice the price of the One S (when they eventually do) lower than they could have gotten the One X

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Y'all know that Sony is still manufacturing ps4 and PS4 pros and will probably still do it for a time after ps5, right? My real guess is x1x wasn't as successful as they expected. It has nothing to do with what you people are saying.

Which is why I brought up the fact that that Xbox only sold 17K consoles total in July according to NPD. To put that number in perspective the PS4 sold 150k and the Switch did 340k.

I think they should go all in on next gen production. If you're Sony it makes sense to keep producing PS4s (albeit a lot fewer) and if you're Nintendo you don't have a next gen console, but Microsoft has no business making any Xbox Ones.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
The sole purpose of the Xbox One X is to enable enthousiasts to play Xbox One games at great fidelity, higher resolutions and/or higher/more stable framerates at a higher price. The next-gen consoles will also do that and as such the Xbox One X will no longer have a prupose.

All that needs to be said.

The One S still has a market for people looking for the cheapest possible thing to play Madden on.

The One X has no market if the Series S and X are on sale.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
To me, one of the main reasons is its confusing with their next-gen console name and the fact that the Series X will replace it as "The Most Powerful Console in the World" making its existence obsolete.

Rikimaru

Nov 2, 2017
Why would anyone buy it instead of XBSS and XBSX? There is no reason to buy old tech with higher price.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Which is why I brought up the fact that that Xbox only sold 17K consoles total in July according to NPD. To put that number in perspective the PS4 sold 150k and the Switch did 340k.

I think they should go all in on next gen production. If you're Sony it makes sense to keep producing PS4s (albeit a lot fewer) and if you're Nintendo you don't have a next gen console, but Microsoft has no business making any Xbox Ones.
Except if they were offering some form of cloud based streaming service where the quality of the service would be greatly improved with some basic level of hardware "floor" they could count on to process inflow/outflow of data, giving the X One S new life as its cost approaches the $100 range where it can compete directly with things like Rokus and FireTVs.

I wonder if the continuation of the Xbox One S line means MS has something like that in the pipe...

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
SSD is a big improvement over HDD. CPU is massively better too.
S just would be a better experience in any case. Also supports nextgen games.

Oh, this is my bad, I misread your other post. You're right, there's no reason to buy a 1S once the Series S is available unless it's like $99.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Echoing others, it's because the Series S will be taking its place. Additionally, they probably don't have much wiggle room on cost to maintain some profitability, so dropping the price would be meaningless, when they can sell the Series S at a similar price point + additional power. On top of all that, in phasing out a piece of hardware, it means you can wind down many other components outside of manufacturing that will save additional overhead. Having 4 consoles on the market at one time, with two of them being close in price (but not in power) would be a pretty bad move.

Oct 29, 2017
Is the Series S predicted to be as good or better than the X1X in every case? Or will there be any circumstances where X1X would run a game better? Like for instance any Xbox One games that run in 4K on the X1X but wouldn't on Series S?

Hockeymac18

Nov 14, 2017
Is there a real reason for that? I mean the console could do 4K and then some. I personally thought they would discontinue the Xbox One S as it's less weaker. Would by keeping the Xbox One X keep people from buying the Xbox Series S?
The entire idea is continue to support all Xbox One consoles. There is no such thing as an Xbox One X-only game - only Xbox One games (Which run on the Xbox One, Xbox One S, and Xbox One X).

The Series S will replace the XBO X in the lineup and the Xbox One S will stick around for the very low end.

Hockeymac18

Nov 14, 2017
Is the Series S predicted to be as good or better than the X1X in every case? Or will there be any circumstances where X1X would run a game better? Like for instance any Xbox One games that run in 4K on the X1X but wouldn't on Series S?

Yes. But it is targeting 1080p/1440p, not 4K. Which is a good thing with its specs. It can put its power to use on other things.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah, but if they are going to continue support for Xbox One consoles, why would they discontinue the Xbox One X.

The console is on its way out. By continuing to support they mean continue for the next couple years. No reason to keep making them. They'd rather people move to Xbox Series S.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Same reason I'd imagine Sony killing the PS4 Pro off and keeping the PS4 around after the PS5 launches.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Except if they were offering some form of cloud based streaming service where the quality of the service would be greatly improved with some basic level of hardware "floor" they could count on to process inflow/outflow of data, giving the X One S new life as its cost approaches the $100 range where it can compete directly with things like Rokus and FireTVs.

I wonder if the continuation of the Xbox One S line means MS has something like that in the pipe...

One strategy that ms could employ is to have the One S as a xcloud machine and it could serve as a stop gap till they get a proper xcloud only box ready.

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
According to the leaks and reporting, Xbox Series S should play all of the same games as the Series X with the same settings including ray tracing but at 1080p. The Xbox One X would struggle with ray tracing. It is actually the most obsolete in terms of its pricing. If you already have one, it's fine to continue using it. But it's not worth buying right now because you'd get so much more from either Series systems.
Doubt Series S will be doing ray tracing that was always a shotty rumor at best. Budget shoppers who purchase a Series S will not care about that stuff anyway. Series X is what you need if you want ray tracing in a console.

Oct 28, 2017
Do we now expect the Series S to have a disc drive? I never thought it would.

Doubt Series S will be doing ray tracing that was always a shotty rumor at best. Budget shoppers who purchase a Series S will not care about that stuff anyway. Series X is what you need if you want ray tracing in a console.

If the Series S can't do ray tracing at 1080p then it does not need to exist. The Xbox One X could do all the heavy lifting in 1080p for years to come and let the Series X do the 3rd party next gen stuffs

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
The One S is cheaper to build, can be sold at lower mass market prices, and widens the performance upgrade if they decide to get a Series X or S, or whatever else is new at the moment later on. It's not hard.

Rikimaru

Nov 2, 2017
There is just 1 case where X could have advantage over XBSS - resolution. X has more memory, bandwidth and compute power.
Framerate will be more stable on XBSS anyway due much better CPU.

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
Do we now expect the Series S to have a disc drive? I never thought it would.

If the Series S can't do ray tracing at 1080p then it does not need to exist. The Xbox One X could do all the heavy lifting in 1080p for years to come and let the Series X do the 3rd party next gen stuffs
It probably wont buy I think it should as not every existing Xbox customer will get a Series X some will bite on the Series S and need to be able to play their disc for BC.