• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

foxbeldin

Oct 27, 2017
Series S is gonna be harder to market with a 4TF gpu if the xbox one X exists with a 6TF one.

Blame marketing for making everything about TFs.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
The bigger question I have is about the X1X Limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 console? Why would they have that so close to the next gen on a discontinued console? Is it still happening?

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Retailers probably would not want to stock 4 sku's for the next 2 years.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
XSS is coming and replaces the X
S will become super cheap entry for markets that cannot afford next-gen

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
The bigger question I have is about the X1X Limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 console? Why would they have that so close to the next gen on a discontinued console? Is it still happening?
That's got a lot more to do with when that game was supposed to drop.

XSS is coming and replaces the X
Well no. The 1X is being replaced as an enthusiast high end model by the XSX. The SS is next gen's 1S, the baseline machine, and it isn't even a direct replacement for the 1X as it won't be able to run 1X patched xb1 games due to lack of RAM.

S will become super cheap entry for markets that cannot afford next-gen
We'll need to know the cost before stating that as fact. What we know now is that it will be a more affordable next gen machine.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
It was delayed I believe because of the game, was supposed to launch much earlier.

Edit: and I think it released awhile back, with a code or something for the game whenever it hits.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Whats bizarre is that this console was discontinued less than 2 years after release, right?

I get why they did it...it's just weird that this console didn't have a great lifespan.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
That's got a lot more to do with when that game was supposed to drop.
It was delayed I believe because of the game, was supposed to launch much earlier.

Yes, I get that...but why would they still do it? Are they still doing it? Why would someone now purchase a discontinued version of a console when a new one launches at the same time. I guess for enthusiast collectors, but I am curious if this will still be available. Why do I actually care and why am I asking? I don't actually know.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, I get that...but why would they still do it? Are they still doing it? Why would someone now purchase a discontinued version of a console when a new one launches at the same time. I guess for enthusiast collectors, but I am curious if this will still be available. Why do I actually care and why am I asking? I don't actually know.
haha
(afaik it's already sold out and no longer available anywhere)
Whats bizarre is that this console was discontinued less than 2 years after release, right?

I get why they did it...it's just weird that this console didn't have a great lifespan.
Just over 2.5 years on the market. It might not have sold massively, but the most important factor was making xbox relevant again in the console space, keeping enhuusiasts/xbox fans faithful and repositioning the brand once again to holder of the power crown (as much as that matters, not much to most, but definitely lots to a subset).

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
Lockhart has a more powerful CPU, better memory bandwidth and faster HDD. And if youre comparing 4 TF vs 6 TF, remember that these numbers arent directly comparable. 1TF from Lockhart is more powerful than 1TF from X1X due to the generational change of the AMD GPU hardware. And since Lockhart will be targeting 1080p screens rather than 4K (alongside having the better CPU), I'd expect many games to be having more detail and higher framerates on Lockhart.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Is there a real reason for that? I mean the console could do 4K and then some. I personally thought they would discontinue the Xbox One S as it's less weaker. Would by keeping the Xbox One X keep people from buying the Xbox Series S?

I think what you're really, and most replies arent getting is that new architectures are cheaper to produce, than to shrink old designs. Old designs dont shrink well. The One X is simply old technology.

The Xbox One X is likely relatively impossible to get down to a very cheap cost to produce. Oh, and 12GB GDDR, most of which the extra just sits there.

Whereas you can do a new tech design in Lockhart, it will be a lot cleaner, cheaper, and able to perform better. Except the SSD added to Lockhart will be costly, but that's another matter. even that should eventually cost reduce below the HDD in X1X.

My guess is Xbox One X is expensive to produce. And it being a lower volume part will only exacerbate that.

Plus it would be a dead end technically. No SSD, and an old GPU and CPU architecture. Developers would hate having to keep supporting it.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Is there a real reason for that? I mean the console could do 4K and then some. I personally thought they would discontinue the Xbox One S as it's less weaker. Would by keeping the Xbox One X keep people from buying the Xbox Series S?

The role of the Xbox One X has been completely replaced by Series X and Series S. The Xbox One S will be kept around as the super-cheap entry point into the Xbox ecosystem.

The PS4 Pro is going to be discontinued as well, you can bet on it.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Believe it or not, some people don't care about more power. If a One S satisfy a significant portion of consumers, why remove it.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't the Series S meant to have an SSD? That is shaping up to be one of the critical differentiators for the upcoming generation.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Is anyone concerned about not having games optimized for the One X soon? I am.

I think most games coming out in the next 12 months (likely not many all told), will still be optimized for 1X and PS4 Pro, but after that, most games aren't going to be coming to 1X/PS4 Pro anyway, so it's kind of a moot point.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
According to the leaks and reporting, Xbox Series S should play all of the same games as the Series X with the same settings including ray tracing but at 1080p. The Xbox One X would struggle with ray tracing. It is actually the most obsolete in terms of its pricing. If you already have one, it's fine to continue using it. But it's not worth buying right now because you'd get so much more from either Series systems.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Well yeah, but if they are going to continue support for Xbox One consoles, why would they discontinue the Xbox One X.

Because it is old
Series S is gonna be harder to market with a 4TF gpu if the xbox one X exists with a 6TF one.

Blame marketing for making everything about TFs.

The average consumer knows nothing about TF.

The educated one, knows that the Series S is stronger despite the lower TF number.

Pleasant!

Nov 1, 2017
My guess is that it costs a lot to manufacture and has an X in the name which will confuse people occasionally if they're trying to buy the hot new Series X. While it didn't sell great, it also did its job of selling Xbox as the console to get the best looking 3rd party games. The Series X will do the same, even if it sells little and is $600, the press will give people the impression that the Xbox ecosystem will give you the best looking titles (even if the Series S outsells it 6:1).

Thats gonna be wild, having to tune cross platform games for 5 different xbox skus, and occasionally having the new Series S not promise the same image quality as the discontinued One X, despite the S being a nice upgrade.

Deleted member 32005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Series X/S is the new console right? and One X is the old (current) console? What is the One S? and the Series X (new) is weaker than the One X (old)? reallY?

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
They don't want two X consoles on the same shelf.

Xbox One X
Xbox Series X

Too similar, some parents would totally pick up the wrong one and have their kids crying on Christmas eve when unwrapping the present.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
According to the leaks and reporting, Xbox Series S should play all of the same games as the Series X with the same settings including ray tracing but at 1080p. The Xbox One X would struggle with ray tracing. It is actually the most obsolete in terms of its pricing. If you already have one, it's fine to continue using it. But it's not worth buying right now because you'd get so much more from either Series systems.
giphy.gif

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I just realized some ppl thought MS would keep the One X around and discontinue the One S. The whole no more generations thing.

It makes more sense to get rid of the One X, it's redundant with the Series S and definitely with the Series X.

Some of us tried to tell ppl this....

Honestly, MS needs to drop the One S ASAP too.

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
They don't want two X consoles on the same shelf.

Xbox One X
Xbox Series X

Too similar, some parents would totally pick up the wrong one and have their kids crying on Christmas eve when unwrapping the present.

Nah, because they'll still have the same problem with the Xbox One S and the Xbox Series S now. It is more likely because the One S will get a price drop ($149 maybe?) and the Series S will take the price point that the One X would have occupied ($249-299).

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Because the kind of person who buys a last-gen console when next-gen is out is a customer looking for value, not power. The Xbox One S will be the cheapest console in the Microsoft lineup this holiday, so there's still value in that. The Xbox One X would find itself as a strange in-between that nobody will be looking for come this holiday.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
The One S is a much cheaper system to make and also because the One X being available at the same time as Series S is not good, as people tend to only think about TF for power, and X1X is a last gen 4K console at 6TF whereas XSS is a next gen 1080p console with 4TF. If people only focus on that aspect then it can be confusing

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
I think they don't want people buying a one X over their series S when it's announced is my guess.

Oct 29, 2017
It makes sense to let the One S hang around as the super budget-concious option. Series X will be the most powerful option aimed at the hardcore. Which leaves both the One X and the Series S occupying the middle-of-the-road spot. Naturally it's better to eliminate that ambiguity.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, because they'll still have the same problem with the Xbox One S and the Xbox Series S now. It is more likely because the One S will get a price drop ($149 maybe?) and the Series S will take the price point that the One X would have occupied ($249-299).
Will they keep the Xbox One S????
Besides the confusion, that's messed up. I stopped gaming on that many years ago because it just wasn't good enough, quite possibly my least liked console I've ever owned. Are they going to run the games in 320p?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
The role of the Xbox One X has been completely replaced by Series X and Series S. The Xbox One S will be kept around as the super-cheap entry point into the Xbox ecosystem.

The PS4 Pro is going to be discontinued as well, you can bet on it.
I think the Pro is going away soon too. But, the price difference between the Pro and One X might make it last a lil longer.

www.digitaltrends.com

How Much Will Sony's PlayStation 5 Cost? More Than You Hope | Digital Trends

How much will Sony's PlayStation 5 cost? Pricing still remains unknown, but our estimate suggests the price will be higher than PlayStation fans expect to pay.

I'm getting fascinated about the BOM of these consoles, lol. Pro was estimated to be 317.

Make the Pro 299, base PS4 199 and it has some life. Or, discontinue the base PS4, make the Pro 299.

Reading an article about the One X BOM ($441), sales of the XBO consoles overall and it makes even more sense why its discontinued.

317 for the Pro vs 441 for the One X. Christ. Sony made a killing with the Pro.

I said it before, MS going for power at that price was a mistake IMO. They should have focused on 399.

I also think the BOM of the Pro n One X might give us better insight into the PS5, Series X price somewhat.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
It is very likely that they are going to discontinue all Xbox One consoles by year-end. The One S is their best seller and with all the manufacturing or supply problems they had to focus on one until the release of the new consoles.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Xbox Series X is to replace Xbox One X.
Xbox Series S is to replace Xbox One S All-Digital Edition.

OP
OP
Derktron

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
It is very likely that they are going to discontinue all Xbox One consoles by year-end. The One S is their best seller and with all the manufacturing or supply problems they had to focus on one until the release of the new consoles.
If it's true that they are going to include xCloud on Xbox systems. I can see the One S is a cheaper alternative to owning an xCloud device.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Y'all know that Sony is still manufacturing ps4 and PS4 pros and will probably still do it for a time after ps5, right? My real guess is x1x wasn't as successful as they expected. It has nothing to do with what you people are saying.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all know that Sony is still manufacturing ps4 and PS4 pros and will probably still do it for a time after ps5, right? My real guess is x1x wasn't as successful as they expected. It has nothing to do with what you people are saying.
I agree. I just think it's a mix of everything posted.

But its more likely this. Finding out the Pro was cheaper to make than the base PS4 is shocking.

More n more I think that Bloomberg BOM for PS5 was accurate and for the disc version.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the Series S would have been too close to it in price and power. I didn't understand exactly how XSX and Lockhart were going to work together in the family and the answer was that they're getting rid of the XSX. The X1S on the other hand they can sell for super cheap which gives you a cheap entry in to Game Pass and xCloud.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Costs more to make and the whole point of the X is that it's the best version avaliable, with the Series X coming that's no longer the case.