• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
When ANH was made they were just the robes warn by people in Tatooine. Notice how multiple people wear them. It was only in the PT that Lucas decided that all Jedi wore desert outfits...for some reason.

h4j0r.jpg

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We're really going to have a thread for every fucking line in these movies, aren't we?...

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
The droids landed in the middle of nowhere-ville. Luke has no reason to think they're far away from their intended recipient. If you lived in a town with barely anybody in it, and somebody rolled up and said "hey I'm looking for a dude named Kenobi," you'd probably think it was the only Kenobi you knew.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
In some cut scenes, Luke and his friends watch the battle between the Tantive IV and Star Destroyer and see the escape pod crash toward the planet. I guess he figured it was their destination.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, I never thought about this, being a PT kid. I always assumed the robes were supposed to channel Buddhist and Christian monks.

They're basically Kurosawa samurai references. Repurposing them as the standard issue Jedi robe was one of the weirdest decisions Lucas made in the prequels. So Obi-Wan was in hiding but he never took off his uniform. Good job, Ben.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ben Kenobi was a genius alias for Obi-Wan Kenobi, the empire never found him

shem

Oct 25, 2017
Why would he assume that? Because he knew someone named ben kenobi and she said obi-wan kenobi.......what's he going to do, search the galaxy before he checks his neighbor with the same last name?

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
Star Wars is a galaxy-spanning universe where every character is inexplicably related to each other. That's just how it is.

Oct 27, 2017
OP if somebody knocked on your door and asks for someone with the same last name as your neighbor do you say "maybe they're related, try next door" or do you say "do I look like a phone book? fuck off."

OP
OP
Kitsunelaine

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP if somebody knocked on your door and asks for someone with the same last name as your neighbor do you say "maybe they're related, try next door" or do you say "do I look like a phone book? fuck off."
if I purchased space droids that happened to have a recording that looks dusty and old that i activated by accident when cleaning them i wouldn't assume they were talking about the person down the street

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
"Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope." - Leia
"Obi-Wan Kenobi? I wonder if she's talking about Old Ben Kenobi." - Luke

The droids could have come from anywhere in the galaxy, and Luke just happens to assume that they're talking about someone who lives like, really close to him? Luke's got no reasons to assume the droids he just purchased are local!

Star Wars, amirite?

Her ship was attacked by Vader's over tattooine. It's not a huge leap to think that she'd come to a backwater planet like tattooine to find the person she was looking for, and Ben had the same last name.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Her ship was attacked by Vader's over tattooine. It's not a huge leap to think that she'd come to a backwater planet like tattooine to find the person she was looking for, and Ben had the same last name.
Exactly. The outer rim territories were unaffiliated with the Empire, as they were ruled by various factions, mostly the Hutt Crime Syndicate. So why would the rebellion and the empire be fighting in orbit over Tatooine? Obviously, the rebellion was there for a purpose

OP
OP
Kitsunelaine

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. The outer rim territories were unaffiliated with the Empire, as they were ruled by various factions, mostly the Hutt Crime Syndicate. So why would the rebellion and the empire be fighting in orbit over Tatooine? Obviously, the rebellion was there for a purpose
But is it obvious to someone like Luke? How much information does Luke have? Does he know if the name Kenobi is common or uncommon? Does he watch Porg News enough to know his planet's standing in the war? Did he major in political theory? We know he's aware of other planets enough to reasonably intuit that the droids are interplanetary in origin.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
Luke's world is small. The number of people he knows is small. Hearing Kenobi when you know someone with that last name in your limited acquaintances causes you to want to find out if there's any connection.

Oct 25, 2017
But is it obvious to someone like Luke? How much information does Luke have? Does he know if the name Kenobi is common or uncommon? Does he watch Porg News enough to know his planet's standing in the war? Did he major in political theory? We know he's aware of other planets enough to reasonably intuit that the droids are interplanetary in origin.

You might be overthinking this.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: The bigger question you need to be asking is why Obi-Wan still used his last name Kenobi while living incognito as a rebel collaborator. Given his heroics in the Clone Wars and before, he should be a galactic celebrity. This is the equivalent of Barack Obama hiding out in Bulgaria and calling himself "Brent Obama" to the locals.
In all likelihood, Kenobi wanted Luke to eventually figure out who he really is, so he made it easy by not changing his name too much. Otherwise, what is the point of getting who he believes is the chosen one of his intent is for the guy to just live out his boring farm life and not get involved with the war at all?

As for hanging out around Tatooine, it's actually a good hiding place for a few reasons:

1. Vader already knows there are Skywalkers there, but they are unimportant ones, so their kids likely would be too. Remember that Vader doesn't know he has kids at all.
2. Because of the above, there's little reason to think Obi-wan would be there.
3. Vader hates going back there anyway because of his childhood as a slave.
4. Sandstorms fuck up imperial comms.

So, really, all Obi-wan had to do was lay low and not use the Force, and no one would find him.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Luke's world is small. The number of people he knows is small. Hearing Kenobi when you know someone with that last name in your limited acquaintances causes you to want to find out if there's any connection.
Yeah, he's shown to pretty much be a hick who has no idea how big the galaxy is or what's really going on. He's not in a bar two seconds before he's in a fight that Kenobi has to save him from, ending in death and dismemberment. He almost spoils the deal with Han by bragging about how good of a pilot he is and again, Kenobi has to salvage the situation (without dismembering anyone) to get their asses off the planet.

Han tells him to sit down and shut up when he tries to talk smack about going into hyperspace. Then he's super emotional over losing Ben Kenobi, a man he'd only met earlier that day, as he's comforted by a woman who's entire planet was just destroyed a couple hours before as a sardonic joke.

At the end, he's Mr. Big Talk and relates destroying a planet-killing moon to shooting local rodents from his cropduster, as the pilot next to him nods politely, no doubt aware how dire their situation must be if this shithead was given a flightsuit and an X-wing to pilot.

He's kind of a dumb dick.

Status
Not open for further replies.