• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
People... this is just how the Star Wars universe works.
source.gif

(I seriously love this more every time I see it).

Oct 25, 2017
do we know that snoke isn't a sith?

No, TROS should settle that point. There is spoiler/informed speculation to that point but there are specific threads for that.

Riffing on the point of why they are fighting is why the TLJ saber action (all the action in TLJ really) ranks at the very bottom of the series. Everything after the bisecting of Snoke right up to Kylo's proposal is superfluous in the plot. You can cut the guard fight entirely and lose nothing from the story. It's the least impactful of saber action of the entire series.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
People... this is just how the Star Wars universe works.
source.gif

(I seriously love this more every time I see it).

This is another great example of why slowed-down, zoomed-in, cropped gifs are a terrible way of misrepresenting a scene. Watching this part of the movie in the right aspect ratio at full speed, with the preceding shots included to establish that your eyes are naturally going to be following movement from the right to the left of the screen, and you would never notice the Force Kick:

giphy52j4w.gif

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
*Character 40 seconds into a fight scene fight scene the same enemy the entirety of the fight from that point on*

"Nuh uh she didn't fight one dude the entire time."
Wait, are you still arguing that she killed four people despite taking such a massive L? 🤔

*Character shown struggling against the same dude for majority of fight while other character is constantly fighting multiple enemies for the duration of the fight*

"Nuh uh they're not equals"

Still waiting for proof of this bit btw.

You should literally go back and read that convo because the moment you say "i'm wrong but YOU ARE TOO" is hilarious. You genuinely ask a question that no one was arguing:

You go from literally misremembering the scene and miscounting:

to claiming that I'm the one that's off in literally the same post where you quote me stating the EXACT number of guards Rey kills.

I guess because acknowledging that she not only killed a less amount and got stuck and straight up struggled with the same dude very early on would mean having to admit that you're wrong so instead you doubled down and responded to arguments I never made about a scene you very clearly misremembered? 🤔

Please gain some self awareness and learn from this discussion in the future. 👍

Imagine taking the side of a dude who literally miscounted the amount of guards in a scene. 😂

Hey it's mister projection himself talking about misremembering and self awareness when the very post he quotes clearly shows him not having proper sequence of events.

No matter how much you try to run from, ignore or shift the discussion, words like "quite literally the same dude" and "entire time" have actual meanings you can't bend to your own definitions once you're called out.

But its a new day so let's try a new path. Who is doing better during the first 30 seconds of the fight? Because I'm starting to think Rey killing a guy and stunning the other so fast while Kylo is still just clanging swords with his opponents is somehow proof to you that he's better than Rey cause... she killed him too fast thus isn't fighting two guys at once for as long?

Also can you walk me through how this is finally the deadly focused Kylo we see in the fight, but also how he's SO hyper focused on that one kill he ends up losing his saber and almost getting his head cut off and slipping and falling down and being grabbed and is dead to rights and how this is all a show of how awesome he is or at least could be?

Also, can you explain to me how the fight starting with them both in the exact same mirrored situation taking on 4 dudes a piece and each killing one and ending with them both in the exact same situation of being in the death grip of an enemy only for Rey to slip out and kill her dude and then bail Kylo out is meant to show Kylo's superiority?

Finally can you explain how a movie that goes out of its way to show our two leads as equals and opposite halves, which the director comments on, would think it's important to show Kylo as superior during the fight yet never make mention of it?

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I think the scene shows that they are balanced in the force but Kylo has more skills with weapons/fighting, as evidenced by the more complex move set.

Do we really need essays and gifs to prove this point?

Deleted member 11039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the scene shows that they are balanced in the force but Kylo has more skills with weapons/fighting, as evidenced by the more complex move set.

The point is that flashy moves don't equal capability. One's polished. One's scrappy. The point of the scene isn't for the viewer to sit back and awe at how much better Kylo is with a saber than Rey.

Why do you think the fight bookends the way it does?

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
The point is that flashy moves don't equal capability. One's polished. One's scrappy. The point of the scene isn't for the viewer to sit back and awe at how much better Kylo is with a saber than Rey.

Why do you think the fight bookends the way it does?

No one said that was the POINT of the scene. You think it's a crazy takeaway to come away from that scene thinking one fighter is more skilled than the other?

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
The baton twirling is literally the first technique you learn with the Broadsword in modern wushu training lmao.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It was a display of their mastery of the weapon, everyone knows that, and those who play it off as stupid do not understand that it happens in all forms of competition.

Even birds display their colors and mastery of dance in order to ward off attackers, and woo the opposite sex.

I mean really!!

he is not talking about them bot spinning their lightsabers tho

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
The better question is why didn't Obi-Wan and Yoda both go after the Emperor, who was clearly the biggest threat, and someone they might have taken down had they worked together.

Repeated the same mistake Windu made against him.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I always figured this was like the Jedi version of footsies in a fighting game. They both see there's no exploit in the other's movements, so they keep swinging them around until they see an in.

thats exactly it

but the looping gif has made too much damage to this scene, makes people think they stay like that for a long time, when it is literally a 2 second scene

Deleted member 11039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No one said that was the POINT of the scene. You think it's a crazy takeaway to come away from that scene thinking one fighter is more skilled than the other?

This tangent started with Crossing Eden saying something about the point is the visual subtext and how it shows the gap between Kylo and Rey. This is incorrect. If anything the visual subtext of the scene is to reinforce them being equals and opposite halves. It's a glimpse as to what those two halves making a whole would be. Its about them together. Literally the opposite of a gap. They're together briefly and then literally blown apart after the fight.

Oct 28, 2017
This tangent started with Crossing Eden saying something about the point is the visual subtext and how it shows the gap between Kylo and Rey. This is incorrect. If anything the visual subtext of the scene is to reinforce them being equals and opposite halves. It's a glimpse as to what those two halves making a whole would be. Its about them together. Literally the opposite of a gap. They're together briefly and then literally blown apart after the fight.
I think there's a pretty obvious skill gap and their fighting styles reflect that. Being equals in the force is a different matter completely.

Kylo is clearly more skilled than Rey.
Yea

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
So people are complaining that the throne room fight does not work on
But its a new day so let's try a new path. Who is doing better during the first 30 seconds of the fight?
Imagine thinking that this genuinely matters when we're talking about the context of an ENTIRE scene and the visual information it provides. 😂

This tangent started with @Crossing Eden saying something about the point is the visual subtext and how it shows the gap between Kylo and Rey.
This was only one aspect of the subtext that i talked about, that you decided to hone in on, tried very poorly to refute and embarrassed yourself quite a bit doing so.

No one said that was the POINT of the scene.
I think there's a pretty obvious skill gap and their fighting styles reflect that. Being equals in the force is a different matter completely.
FFS
giphy.gif

That dude's argumentation skills match his ability to parse information from a film. Straight up responding to shit no one actually said in the first place.

Deleted member 11039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine thinking that this genuinely matters when we're talking about the context of an ENTIRE scene and the visual information it provides. 😂

This was only one aspect of the subtext that i talked about, that you decided to hone in on, tried very poorly to refute and embarrassed yourself quite a bit doing so.

FFS
giphy.gif

That dude's argumentation skills match his ability to parse information from a film. Straight up responding to shit no one actually said in the first place.

Lol. I'm the one that's been talking about the whole scene. It starts with them mirrored. Ends with them mirrored. Follows up with them mirrored and being blown apart. You're the one hung up on the sole middle part where Kylo is engaging more foes than Rey.

You realize this fight isn't actually that long right? Bringing up Rey in the first bit was to try to get you to understand why Rey was fighting less guys than Kylo in the first place and to see if maybe you'd realize the ebb and flow of the scene starts off with Rey handling her business moves to Kylo doing his, Rey struggles then Kylo struggles then they're both in peril and Rey saves the day.

Imagine thinking this scene is designed to show off a super Kylo when it ends with him on his knees needing to be rescued.

The scene is about team. Together. Not separate. Not gap.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I never noticed this. Haha makes the TLJ even worse for me now.

Though the Clone Wars had some damn good fights.
JFRH1Ji.gif
CG fighting never seems to look quite right in terms of weight and gravity for some reason.

I think people are overthinking it. Kylo's style is pure brute force while Rey tends to finesse her way out of tight situations (as evidenced by that slick saber drop). We can't use kill counts as a skill metric since some of those red guys were jobbers. Forearms guy must have had a hell of an insurance policy.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i dont undertand how can anyone see the fight and say they equally good at lightsabering, the choreography literally focus on her wild swings and STREET SMARTS (john mulaney's voice) shit.

they may be equally strong, luke even says it earlier in the movie, but they arent at the same level at all regarding fighting/sword skills.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
I've seen the film a few times and did not watch that scene and feel either had any advantage / was "better" than the other. The takeaway was very clearly to me that they bonded, work well together, and hinted at a cooperative future that was undermined by their actions in "peace time" after the fight.

Anything else you're just going to read into it what you want to

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Someone should write an essay analyzing every single movement used in this fight while explaining how exactly Obi Wan managed to get the high ground before Anakin, like I'm sure that there must be some old school catch as catch can wrestling psychology on that match

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
So we have Bragg saying Kylo is polished whereas Rey is tough and scrappy and now we have someone saying Kylo is brute forcing his way through and Rey is the finesse fighter 🤔
Kylo is swinging that thing like a claymore. His style communicates power and weight to me, and a little bit of recklessness. Rey looks like she makes up for her relative lack of brute force strength with patience and resourcefulness.

I don't think either one of them looks polished.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Kylo is swinging that thing like a claymore. His style communicates power and weight to me, and a little bit of recklessness. Rey looks like she makes up for her relative lack of brute force strength with patience and resourcefulness.

I don't think either one of them looks polished.
Rey being a novice with a lightsaber has been incredibly evident in both films. Kylo is clearly the more experienced one.

Contramann

Oct 27, 2017
I found the end Lightsaber fight of Revenge interesting for about 4 minutes before it got real boring for me and I tuned out. The whole fight is long and almost masturbatory about lightsabers and what CG effects they were able to accomplish.

So my answer to the title question is, probably because they could do it is why it's in there.