• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
The game will sell and get successful. People are overlooking the fact we never got a game of this scale before. Of my mind the last game to be an open world zombie game of this scale would be Undead Nightmare which is 8 years old now.

Franchise? I hope not. I'd love for Bend to return to Syphon Filter at some point.

As for the game, it looks solid, but I wouldn't say I'm really hyped for it. But then again, quality AAA single player games are hard to come by, so I'm definitely picking it up day one.
You will be waiting a long time then because Bend themselves are bored of Syphon Filter. They killed Gabe just to stop making them.

We might be getting a new game in the franchise but I doubt Bend would be the one to do it.
I have no doubt it will be a success, but I hope it won't become a franchise. We don't need another AAA zombie franchise from Sony.
Why?

We only have the Last of Us which is very different from this. Is there any other zombie games Sony has that I don't know about?

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
User warned: inflammatory accusation
m3qt5t7xqfo11.gif

Hs0T4ar.gif

giphy.gif

"Jumping simulators"
The only posts I've seen from you on this site are related to DMCV and RE2, going so far as to correct dozens of people for incorrectly formatting lists in the GOTY thread. Are you a corporate shill, you really have a knack for it

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think the game looks swell and I'm excited to get my hands on it, but I also think it'll underperform critically and commercially. The recent footage I've seen of it makes it look like it falls prey to a lot of tired open-world tropes which I personally enjoy but which I also think won't take the world by storm.

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
I personally don't find anything about this game interesting. The zombie hordes look cool but that's where my interest peaks.

Would love more good games on the PS4 though, barely using mine anymore in the wait for TLOU2.

Deleted member 19924

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ehh, I don't know. It clearly lacks the polish of Sony's other first party offerings and I don't think basing interest entirely on YouTube views is smart or accurate. But I like Sony Bend, they're talented and Sam Witwer is a good voice actor. I hope the game turns out great.

As someone who's been using YT metrics to discuss stuff since... well, ever since I started tracking them - I have a personal investment in analyzing the correlation of consumer interest metrics via 'objective metrics' and other things like sales performance ( especially at launch, since day-one or week-one purchase patterns are driven by how much marketing influence was there and not WoM )

Days Gone is interesting because it's got metrics that I consider to be rather strong for a game that traditionally doesn't have a unique visual identity or character hook to them. I'm invested to see how well it does.

Out of curiosity, have you ever used Google Trends to gauge interest?

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Of the big Sony exclusives of the last couple of years it is the only game that I am not looking forward to. It doesn't appeal to me at all.
I hope it won't be the only big Sony exlusive this year. (Dreams will obviously come out, but I'm not sure one can count it as a big exclusive the likes of Uncharted, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Spider-Man etc.)

Oct 27, 2017
Lol hordes. One zombie in Return of The Living Dead was a threat. These zombies need to posse up to deal with one hobo. "More is more bruh!" Right.

But seriously, it will probably make it's money back, but who knows beyond that. I'm not even sure what people consider a huge seller. is 5 million huge when there are games that have sold 50 million copies and there are hundreds of millions of consoles/PCs out there? Or is it relative to budget, genre, hype level, etc.?
I think 5 million would be a huge success for Bend because they are very small compared to most Sony studios.

I am predicting it to sell more than 5 millions though.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The only posts I've seen from you on this site are related to DMCV and RE2, going so far as to correct dozens of people for incorrectly formatting lists in the GOTY thread. Are you a corporate shill, you really have a knack for it
And you feel threatened by these games somehow. My offer still stands tho, if you wanna talk about it, I'm here for you man.

Look up Persona threads if you can't get enough of my posts.

data

Oct 25, 2017
I think it'll do alright. Not big enough for it to be the next big thing, especially when we don't know if there's going to be a sequel or even much about the story.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Grizzly white biker man in post apocalypse is obviously the peak of interesting creativity
you can generalize every story to make it sound generic, for example "a young boy saving a princess" isnt the peak of creativity as well. its all about the approach, "a story following a biker gang in the apocalypse" sounds much less generic for example.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
I don't know what Days Gone is going to bring something new in the genre to be unique and "the next big thing"? Is the horde enough to be a seller?
Heck Dying Light 2 has a parkour system, actual choices that can affect both gameplay and the city and people of the city, without counting co-op, Avellone and TW3 writers on board for storytelling and world building. Days Gone will sure sell a lot of copies, but it looks generic as fuck.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
you can generalize every story to make it sound generic, for example "a young boy saving a princess" isnt the peak of creativity as well. its all about the approach, "a story following a biker gang in the apocalypse" sounds much less generic for example.

I mean, "biker gangs in the apocalypse" is just Mad Max.

MukuMuku

Oct 31, 2017
the replica bike during TGS 2018 was cool.

so I'm expecting this to be a cool selling game.

mouzone

Oct 30, 2017
I think it's gonna be a solid 7.5 game. Don't see anything exceptional in this game that suggests otherwise.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
70 avg on Metacritic, discounted to $30 before the start of the Summer.

It looks aggressively generic, is coming from a studio known for mediocre PSP/Vita spin offs, and has garnered resounding 'mehs' in preview coverage. It's The Order 1886 all over again. I might even go far enough to call the game a liability for Sony, who may not want this crowding the air while they're trying to push TLOU 2 in the Fall.

I'd love to be proven wrong. I genuinely have no hope for this game. It seems like a guaranteed miss.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Yeesh

That OP reads like a shill post

Game looks alright though, I'll probably rent it

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I'm really conflicted on this game.

Saw it running in front of me last October and they still hadn't figured out performance yet, after months of hearing problematic impressions about it. The horde makes the game go to a 20-10fps route, it sure looks amazing but i'm not sure if it's worth the cost.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait for Angry Joes review

"Hey Joe, you want to play a zombie game??"

"Hey Joe, you want to play a motherfucking zombie game?"

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Talking about Horde, i'm more impressed with stuff like this running as a multiplayer game with hundreads of zombies

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
Cinematic third person game with plenty of forced walking and exciting "gameplay" from Sony. Amazing and original.
This is where I am kinda at woth the recent Sony exclusives. Everything feels derivative of TLOU, walk, fight in an arena, do a mindless puzzle and forced exposition, repeat. They're not bad games, it just feels like their tent pole titles are all sorts the same formula.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018

It looks aggressively generic, is coming from a studio known for mediocre PSP/Vita spin offs, and has garnered resounding 'mehs' in preview coverage. It's The Order 1886 all over again. I might even go far enough to call the game a liability for Sony, who may not want this crowding the air while they're trying to push TLOU 2 in the Fall.

I'd love to be proven wrong. I genuinely have no hope for this game. It seems like a guaranteed miss.
Another post hoping for Days Gone to be The Order. You, Phediuk, and Phendrift are going to be very upset in a few months.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
The one thing that annoys me is the third person behind your back perspective. Top-down view and this would be awesome. But having to look behind you on a chasing horde while running forward with a bunch of potential obstacles infront of you that you can't see is... well, problematic.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
The concept is actually interesting (biker in a zombie world) but I have many problems with the execution:

- All faces and characters look alike which is one of the reason the game as a whole looks generic. Characters are generic.
- World is not interesting. Is there even a meaningful story ? Why didn't they tease us that first ? We haven't seen much of Death Stranding and TLOU2 (much less than Days gone), but we know that the story will be either compelling (TLOU2) or completely over the top (DS). Same for God of War, the first E3 demo was enough to get us hooked.
- You got big vistas and dynamic weather but graphics look rather bland, how did they do it ? For instance graphics of Far Cry 4 are rather simple (rocks, trees and mountains), but they are quite beautiful to look at. It's always a delight to explore its world.
- The way the main character is running is ridiculous.

But my biggest gripe with the game is the gunplay and controls, particularly controls. You are supposed to fight against hordes of enemies coming in all directions but your character has rather tank controls and he can't turn fast enough to deal with enemies around him. I feel like gunplay won't be fun because it's going to be frustrating. How do you deal efficiently with so much enemies behind you if you can't quickly make U-turns ?

This is where Dying Light works and is so fun to play. The view is first person and the controls are very responsive. Days gone is like using the fiddly controls and unresponsive camera of the very cinematic Uncharted 4 in Dying Light. That wouldn't work.

Finally how could they name a child-like zombie Newt ? This is a deal breaker. :P

Last edited:

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I am just surprised Sony hasn't even properly marketed the game. Skipping E3 last year was odd for me.
And now we even heard Sony didn't want online multiplayer to add replay for the game.

It's like they know there's something off with this title.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
i guess so but it still sounds much less generic than what the person i qouted made it seem, my point is just that the whole "this is generic" complaints are becuase of people approaching the subject incorrectly.

I think the issue is just that with the whole postmodernist, navel-gazing "man is the real monster" theme that's front and center in every single piece of modern zombie media being the core theme of this game too, there aren't really a lot of ways the story can go. Zombie apocalypse media almost never features the protagonists saving the world or fixing the apocalypse, it's pretty much always "survive as long as you can and then die tragically".

The Last of Us' key phrase of "it can't all be for nothing" and then the journey literally turning out to be exactly that - for nothing - personifies this. There's only so many times you can tell a story about angry white men suffering the consequences of a societal breakdown fueled by their own ineptitude and succumbing to them before it just gets exhausting.

Either the main character is a super-compelling character with a ton of depth and complexity or there's an insane game-shattering twist midway through that turns the entire concept on its head, or we're just gonna wind up with Joel/TLoU 2.0: Open World Bloat Edition.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is where I am kinda at woth the recent Sony exclusives. Everything feels derivative of TLOU, walk, fight in an arena, do a mindless puzzle and forced exposition, repeat. They're not bad games, it just feels like their tent pole titles are all sorts the same formula.

I'd say Spiderman flows a lot differently. Doesn't really fit into this at all

Status
Not open for further replies.