• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Don't ever even try to talk to me about sacrificing health and time. Don't ever talk to me about endless and thankless work.
Your statement saddens me deeply. I'm only having an opinion.

I'm an EMT on the front lines right now. Do you wanna know what I sacrifice? Do you wanna know how thankless people are?
Do you wanna know how it feels to come home after a 18 hour shift during the pandemic to look after a paranoid schizophrenic SO?
Don't you dare to tell me about the sacrifices you have to make to moderate a video game forum.

I don't know anything about you or your life and you don't know anything about me or mine. We are talking about internet culture, online discourse, and maintaining a community environment. The harsher, harder aspects of our lives have nothing to do with this conversation. I am certain the things you're going through right now are absolutely harrowing. As are things I am experiencing privately right now that I do not wish to discuss. Both what you're going through and what I'm going through are more important than what we are talking about right now.

But that was never the question or the conversation we were having. Something else being difficult in a completely unrelated context does not invalidate your experience. Other things can be difficult and stressful even if you are dealing with something worse. People endure great stress and harm to do all kinds of work. To say this is true is not to say all stress and harm is created equal. Please do not mistake me for claiming such a thing.

I am sorry for offending you and it's clear you are on edge due to what you're experiencing right now. But please be fair here. You had an opinion and I responded with mine. We were talking about something very specific. Never did I say "community management is harder than being an EMT or having unwell family" so it's not fair to accuse me of such an insensitivity.

I wish you the best. Take care. I apologize if I gave you the wrong impression.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This one time, I had a zombie dream, except instead of zombies, people's heads just turned into bowls of salad with BBQ sauce poured on it.

Just now, this plain bagel I ate tasted like it had a hint of BBQ sauce on it. Didn't stop me from eating it, but...

...should I be worried?

Sounds like your humors are out of balance. Might I interest you in a bit of leeching?

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm ready to admit something slightly embarrassing. I ignore posters when I get in a disagreement with them that goes back and forth for more than three or four messages. As soon as it gets personal (and it so often does) or I just start feeling it annoy me, I just ignore. It's a way to walk away and move on when I know I won't be able to help looking at the notification and reading their reply and wanting to argue back. I just don't have the emotional energy for it a lot of the time. I feel like a more mature person wouldn't need to do this but meh I'm doing my best.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like your humors are out of balance. Might I interest you in a bit of leeching?
tell-me-how.gif

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm ready to admit something slightly embarrassing. I ignore posters when I get in a disagreement with them that goes back and forth for more than three or four messages. As soon as it gets personal (and it so often does) or I just start feeling it annoy me, I just ignore. It's a way to walk away and move on when I know I won't be able to help looking at the notification and reading their reply and wanting to argue back. I just don't have the emotional energy for it a lot of the time. I feel like a more mature person wouldn't need to do this but meh I'm doing my best.
Do what you need to do to keep this place enjoyable and worth your time. Honestly, seeing some of the stupid arguments that happen over subjects that largely matter very little, a lot of posters would probably do well to adopt this mindset.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I do this too, but usually it takes me few months to realize the person is not worth my time, I come here to unwind and have chill time and thats my main priority

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
^^^ I do that all the time. If you use UBlock, make sure to refresh the page or future posts from that person will still show their avatar during your current browsing session.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Nothing embarrassing about that, this place got a lot of people that actively try to bait people into heated conversations for the sole purpose of getting you banned. Best to just flip the ignore switch.

Oct 27, 2017
i think this is beyond sensible. arguments often break out into the most pointless, mean spirited dribble and it's mentally taxing.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I only read the posts from the cool mods like--

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The poor mods, they try but no one loves you when your in power.

Give the poor lot a hug, they probably need it.
Many of them do and some of them are fantastic and worthy of far more praise than they get. Some of them are just trolls though and I'd really love to be able to block them.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Due to a flaw in the forum's programming, if you were able to ignore the mods then they wouldn't be able ban you. Facts.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017

i mean, it's pretty mature that you're doing what you have to do to be a good steward of your forum experience

one thing that has helped me out: saying "this is my last word on this" or something like that when you can tell something has the potential to become a drawn out argument

just makes it easier to deescalate and move on

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
If theres one mod I'd never ignore its gotta be Slayven. I'm not a comics reader but I love diving into their, and others, comic threads of wackiness.

My 2020 ignore list only gots 4 people on it. 2 of which are apparently banned (temp? perma? idk) so I'd say Era posters are doing super good this year. Come Jan. 1st, as always, I'll unignore 'em all an be on to a fresh new years start of second/third/whatever chances!

And you're right about avatars, they are hard to "unsee", like that guy with that creepy ass Momo girl as his avatar, I swear I can't even read his posts.
Your avatars kinda creepy itself. What is with that no pupil, dead inside looking girl(?)?!

...since this thread is in the gaming section, I have to ask, what is this "Ignore" game you're all playing?
729446_front.jpg

Available on all current gen systems (sans 3ds) and pc!

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I can understand not ignoring mods because of information being posted by them.

A way around that could be a "Mod Post" toggle for official posts, and those would bypass the ignore.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
He has proof of Transistor's massive Collection of Bugsnax erotica
talkin' bout Bugsnaccs

On-topic, the posters that express bewilderment at others using the Ignore feature always confuse me: if someone makes so many uninformed/unhelpful/whatever comments that I actually pick up on the trend, ignoring them means that I no longer waste any time on them. I don't ignore many people, and I've got about a 75% hit rate on them eventually being permabanned. The most notable was someone I ignored who became a mod (leading to brief confusion as to why I started seeing their posts again), then de-modded, and then perma'd. I feel like I'm just cutting out the middleman.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Your avatars kinda creepy itself. What is with that no pupil, dead inside looking girl(?)?!
That's Hinata, from Naruto. She has special eyes. I have her as my avatar because she reminds me of a girl that was very important in my life, plus I like her as a character anyway. She's usually really shy.

Speaking of creepy avatars, didn't you use to have a Sailor Venus one?

SuiQuan

Oct 25, 2017
Kazakhstan - soon
A have a very small ignore list. Just added The Spoony Hou to it. Felt great, no regrets, wonderful feature, thank you. "I demand you hear me!" people annoy me. Ignoring anyone is a perfectly acceptable social tool, be it IRL or on the internet, for whatever reason the person likes. And nobody owes anybody an explanation for it. It has nothing to do with "limiting opinions" or any other drivel. I have read a lot of stuff on here that I really-really disagree with, but did not ignore the people who said those things. I'm sure people have me on ignore too and that is perfectly fine.

Also, regarding the report function that was mentioned here. I'm not sure if it's the right place to ask, but if I report something and get no notification of any kind afterwards, does it mean that my report was not "actionable"? Because for me it's 50% "the issue has been resolved" and 50% nothing.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
That's Hinata, from Naruto. She has special eyes. I have her as my avatar because she reminds me of a girl that was very important in my life, plus I like her as a character anyway. She's usually really shy.
Special eyes that make her look creepy? The tiny low res image surely ain't helping matter but now that I gots some context I can see it as alil less odd!

Speaking of creepy avatars, didn't you use to have a Sailor Venus one?
Sailor V / Venus / Minako is creepy?? I dunno about that but ya, I've had at least a couple featuring her over the course of however long I've been on the 'net!

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Special eyes that make her look creepy? The tiny low res image surely ain't helping matter but now that I gots some context I can see it as alil less odd!

Sailor V / Venus / Minako is creepy?? I dunno about that but ya, I've had at least a couple featuring her over the course of however long I've been on the 'net!
Well, I'm not going to get into Naruto lore, lol. Hinata is extremely well known and popular, so you can search yourself if you're curious.

Now, Sailor V is not creepy, of course, but your avatar was! I think... didn't it have huge boobs and maybe lips? It used to creepy me out, and I don't even mind smut.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
A have a very small ignore list. Just added The Spoony Hou to it. Felt great, no regrets, wonderful feature, thank you. "I demand you hear me!" people annoy me. Ignoring anyone is a perfectly acceptable social tool, be it IRL or on the internet, for whatever reason the person likes. And nobody owes anybody an explanation for it. It has nothing to do with "limiting opinions" or any other drivel. I have read a lot of stuff on here that I really-really disagree with, but did not ignore the people who said those things. I'm sure people have me on ignore too and that is perfectly fine.

Also, regarding the report function that was mentioned here. I'm not sure if it's the right place to ask, but if I report something and get no notification of any kind afterwards, does it mean that my report was not "actionable"? Because for me it's 50% "the issue has been resolved" and 50% nothing.
Not necessarily. There's a few different reasons why an alert might not go out, from being on one of multiple posts a user made that got consolidated, or just because somebody forgot. It can also sometimes take some time for a report to get actioned, if we have to wait until we can run it by a subject matter expert.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Edit: forget that unfunny joke, my take is this;

I fully understand why people wanna ignore someone. But the function is often perfunctuary when those people continue to exist on the forum and other forum members are gonna respond to them regardless of if you ignore them. Theres a lot of people I could ignore but that won't stop them from derailing threads I wanna be in.

That and when we complain about certain aspects of this forums culture, we're just ignoring it when we ignore members. So you get threads were people are surprised that era votes on a poll a certain way. Not that anyone has to deal with them but that is what ends up happening.

The mods are important because they're the mods. They decided the rules and how things go. If you ignore mods, you ignore a lot of important points and tidbits that don't get out in official staff posts

Last edited:

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
I agree with the bolded 100%. It's why I think we have such a great community. But there are some subjects (or even avatars) that could be triggering to some people and we want to give those people the ability to enjoy the forum.
Which is why I wish we could disable avatars on a user basis. While certain avatars annoy me, that doesn't mean that I want to ignore all of the user's post just because their taste in avatars suck. Though I don't know if that is even possible with the current forum software.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Why do you want to ignore me, OP?

You don't like my opinions, OP?!

YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH ME, OP?!

tenor.gif

SuiQuan

Oct 25, 2017
Kazakhstan - soon
Not necessarily. There's a few different reasons why an alert might not go out, from being on one of multiple posts a user made that got consolidated, or just because somebody forgot. It can also sometimes take some time for a report to get actioned, if we have to wait until we can run it by a subject matter expert.
Thanks for the explanation. I really try to report only when I'm pretty sure that something is an offence, but started to think that maybe I was getting too trigger-happy and also didn't quite the forum rules, so I stopped.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the explanation. I really try to report only when I'm pretty sure that something is an offence, but started to think that maybe I was getting too trigger-happy and also didn't quite the forum rules, so I stopped.
Nah, as long as people aren't abusing the report system to pursue personal vendettas or something, we appreciate the effort :)

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mods like Slayven and Nepenthe have either some of the best takes on the site or some of the funniest fucking comments I've ever read. Ignoring mods for the most part would be a disservice.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Which is why I wish we could disable avatars on a user basis. While certain avatars annoy me, that doesn't mean that I want to ignore all of the user's post just because their taste in avatars suck. Though I don't know if that is even possible with the current forum software.
Yeah, it's a software limitation. The best thing I can suggest is to use an adblocker, whitelist the site as a whole, but then custom block the individual avatars.

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut
I for sure would have ignored Jawmuncher on Neogaf back in the day lmao, I remember when I was a PlayStation All Stars fanboy he came in the thread and literally constantly clamoured for the Dino Crisis characters to be included. I was 17 at the time and I was like "SHUT UP ABOUT DINO CRISIS" other posters had to tell me to calm the hell down hahaha.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
just wait until their off the mod/admin team and ignore them then, thats usually what I do. I have a few on my ignore list because they've come down like they came back from their visit to high society drunk on purple fumes and NEED others to hear their opinions.

And the few well known novelty shit posters, etc. was made 10x more bearable without them instantly appearing in every thread with a stupid gif or a 2 word post.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
just wait until their off the mod/admin team and ignore them then, thats usually what I do. I have a few on my ignore list because they've come down like they came back from their visit to high society drunk on purple fumes and NEED others to hear their opinions.

And the few well known novelty shit posters, etc. was made 10x more bearable without them instantly appearing in every thread with a stupid gif or a 2 word post.
The problem is that one in particular shouldn't have been made a mod in the first place and another seems weirdly untouchable even as they make statements that would see one of us booted for weeks or months. Judging by the way they've reacted to this thread mostly with gifs and jokes, I really wouldn't hold my breath looking for turnover.

And I'll say it again, so many of them clearly work incredibly hard and hold themselves to a massive standard, so it's unfortunate that a notorious few do not.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Being completely sincere, I'd unironically like the option to auto ignore threads made by mods. We can ignore mod threads and auto ignore threads by a user, but not auto ignore threads by a user that's a mod

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that one in particular shouldn't have been made a mod in the first place and another seems weirdly untouchable even as they make statements that would see one of us booted for weeks or months. Judging by the way they've reacted to this thread mostly with gifs and jokes, I really wouldn't hold my breath looking for turnover.

And I'll say it again, so many of them clearly work incredibly hard and hold themselves to a massive standard, so it's unfortunate that a notorious few do not.
pretty sure we're talking about completely different people hehe, some of the community darlings are on the list. But from this point on I plead the 5th.