• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I think the ignore user function shouldn't exist. Bad posts get moderated, bad posters eventually get banned. So, in the end, you're only banning people who you disagree with.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
And if there was a thread title keyword ignore option (please admins...), these would be my first rules:

*can we agree that*
*it's [year] and*
*in the year [year]*

(I don't like threads that insist on telling me what year it is. I find it patronizing).

I agree

It's 2020 for Gods sake, this needs to stop

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Someone needs to make a cover of the "Become as Gods" song from Nier Automata and have it go:

"Become as Mods! Become as Mods!"
I support this initiative

I think the ignore user function shouldn't exist. Bad posts get moderated, bad posters eventually get banned. So, in the end, you're only banning people who you disagree with.

There are times that someone may post something that may not be necessarily within the bounds of moderation, but could still be upsetting to a user. Reasons like that are why the function exists.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge

Bingo.

I have never ignored anyone, and I don't intend to.

Bad posts get reported, and bad folks get warned or banned.

I have been warned three times for pointing out fanboys being fanboys, but two out of those three folks I pointed out once upon a time are now banned for good so, the mods do do their job you expect them to do (most of the time).

p.s. I will say that somebody could inadvertently upset someone due to their belief/faith/gender/sexuality so, the ignore option is a worthwhile one for those folks.

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
There are times that someone may post something that may not be necessarily within the bounds of moderation, but could still be upsetting to a user. Reasons like that are why the function exists.
If the post is acceptable by forum standarts, than I think it's more important to give everyone a voice. Many users annoy me, but I think it's important that I take their opinions in consideration. The best thing about forums is the diversity of opinions.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sometimes mods miss some. Sometimes problematic posters are subtle enough to skirt the rules over time. There are mod/community summits for a reason and while staff (thankfully) evolves and improves their sensitivity and criteria over time, it's nice to have the agency to stave off exposure to toxicity on the interim.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Bingo.

I have never ignored anyone, and I don't intend to.

Bad posts get reported, and bad folks get warned or banned.

I have been warned three times for pointing out fanboys being fanboys, but two out of those three folks I pointed out once upon a time are now banned for good so, the mods do do their job you expect them to do (most of the time).

p.s. I will say that somebody could inadvertently upset someone due to their belief/faith/gender/sexuality so, the ignore option is a worthwhile one for those folks.

It's not always about overt posts that require banning. Some posters are just extremely annoying. I don't need to read the same drivel day in and day out. Why do I need additional frustration in my already stressful and lockdowned life lol?

The ignore function is a personal feature, much like dark mode. It's an option. And options are good.

Trelova

Banned
Apr 8, 2020

definitely not always the case. a lot of folk here trot the line of just not being considered trolling.

beyond that, just a lot of consistently negative folk out here i wouldn't want to deal with regularly.

i dont wanna name names but there's one user in particular a lot of us know that seems to go into topics just for their ultra hot takes and derail accordingly. yeah, i ain't dealing with that.

Tanktop Girl

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Trolling
I'm very glad the Ignore function exists, and I'm filling my blocklist up with chuds from this very thread. Block, Ignore, report, receipts, etc. are all indispensable tools for allowing Trans BIPOC and Black Femmes to feel safe in the community by not allowing nazis to spew hate. If you don't feel the need to Deplatform nazis then honestly that says something about you.

edit: a word

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I think ignoring mods should be an option but only for posts that aren't related to moderation... might not be feasible to implement such a tag for their posts tho

Solaire

Oct 29, 2017
There is no valid reason why we shouldn't be able to, but we all know what it boils down to.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
If the post is acceptable by forum standarts, than I think it's more important to give everyone a voice. Many users annoy me, but I think it's important that I take their opinions in consideration. The best thing about forums is the diversity of opinions.
I agree with the bolded 100%. It's why I think we have such a great community. But there are some subjects (or even avatars) that could be triggering to some people and we want to give those people the ability to enjoy the forum.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah that's probably what it is, it takes alot to get me annoyed. I guess i'm used to people's nonsense from spending too much time on Twitter lol, Era is pretty tame in comparison to other places on the internet.
Well, the great thing about Twitter is that you choose who to follow. Still sometimes replies and likes bubble on my feed of stuff I don't care to read.

But, yeah Twitter is full of annoying ppl lol.

Oct 27, 2017
And if there was a thread title keyword ignore option (please admins...), these would be my first rules:

*can we agree that*
*it's [year] and*
*in the year [year]*

(I don't like threads that insist on telling me what year it is. I find it patronizing).
my least favorite threads are

"Convince me that _____"

like, nahhhh. just feels like an absurd waste of time. it's okay that you don't like FF7 Remake or whatever. it's OKAY.

Kazer

Oct 27, 2017

*can we agree that*
*it's [year] and*
*in the year [year]*

I would add *am I the only* to that list. Yes, you are the only one that thinks/feels whatever the topic is about in the entire world. Goodbye.

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Sometimes mods miss some. Sometimes problematic posters are subtle enough to skirt the rules over time. There are mod/community summits for a reason and while staff (thankfully) evolves and improves their sensitivity and criteria over time, it's nice to have the agency to stave off exposure to toxicity on the interim.
That's what the report feature is for, for us to help the mods. Yes, most of the times miss won't agree with you, but you can only do your best to make this forum a better place.
definitely not always the case. a lot of folk here trot the line of just not being considered trolling.

beyond that, just a lot of consistently negative folk out here i wouldn't want to deal with regularly.

i dont wanna name names but there's one user in particular a lot of us know that seems to go into topics just for their ultra hot takes and derail accordingly. yeah, i ain't dealing with that.
Then report the guy and don't reply to him. It's what I do. I can ignore people without literally making their posts invisible.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Also being on someone's ignore list can be a blessing sometimes. I'm pretty sure I'm on a certain someone's and it has been much better in specific topics as a result.

Now I can post in Star Wars threads without said poster descending on me like a trigger-happy fighter pilot ready to intercept anyone who dares cross his airspace of opinions.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
The more important question here: why isn't this thread closed yet? Does jon bones have something on the mods? if so can you please share it? thank you.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
That's what the report feature is for, for us to help the mods. Yes, most of the times miss won't agree with you, but you can only do your best to make this forum a better place.

Then report the guy and don't reply to him. It's what I do. I can ignore people without literally making their posts invisible.
that's cool it works for you. do you.

But why do you have a problem with other users using a forum feature? bizarre.

Most of the people I ignore are not posting problematic things. They just annoy me lol.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018

Yes! Absolutely. Please utilize that report button it helps us so much. Sometimes if you assume someone else has reported a post, that might not always be the case.

CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
The Real Era Challenge should be trying to get on as many people's ignore lists as possible without getting banned. Learning how to be just the right level of obnoxious. We could put up a leaderboard and everything.

I also find this thread funny because, despite being on this site numerous times everyday, the only mod I can name is Jawmuncher. I guess the others need to find some kind of shtick to be memorable.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
I agree with this, and I'll add that ignoring people can also lead to topics losing their sense of discussion due to ignored posts getting lost in the shuffle. You're trying to catch on a debate but can't due to missing information that could or could not be important.

Another forum I visit constantly tells me "Just ignore the user" whenever I report said user for breaking the rules. It's super annoying.

Solaire

Oct 29, 2017
my least favorite threads are

"Convince me that _____"

like, nahhhh. just feels like an absurd waste of time. it's okay that you don't like FF7 Remake or whatever. it's OKAY.
For real. It's not our job to convince you to like or buy some random game.

I would add *am I the only* to that list. Yes, you are the only one that thinks/feels whatever the topic is about in the entire world. Goodbye.
One of the worst title trends. So obnoxious.

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I agree with the bolded 100%. It's why I think we have such a great community. But there are some subjects (or even avatars) that could be triggering to some people and we want to give those people the ability to enjoy the forum.
Hmm, yes, I guess some people could have a really hard time ignoring stuff that triggers them. And you're right about avatars, they are hard to "unsee", like that guy with that creepy ass Momo girl as his avatar, I swear I can't even read his posts.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

Most of the people I ignore are not posting problematic things. They just annoy me lol.

because they don't want to be put on ignore :p

my only issue with it is when someone makes a spectacle about putting posters on their ignore list. I do think that does not need to be allowed. like shut the hell up, nobody cares. Do it silently without the drama. (not directed at you, entrement)

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The ignore user feature has never been a good addition to this site. Its the digital equivalence of putting your fingers in your ears and going "LA LA LA LA LA~"

I am curious how many people have me on ignore though lmaooo

Oct 29, 2017
The ignore user feature has never been a good addition to this site. Its the digital equivalence of putting your fingers in your ears and going "LA LA LA LA LA~"

The subject matter of this forum is video games. I'm here for entertainment. Unpleasant people are a waste of my time. That's the way I see it.

Apparently I like you fine though. :)

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil

Did I say I have a problem with people using a forum feature? No, I didn't. I'm just saying i don't see the point of said feature. Or more that it causes more harm than good. If you use the feature, it's your problem, not mine.

Last edited:

entremet

Oct 26, 2017

Let me ask you a question? Do you engage in every conversation IRL? I doubt it. Boundaries are not a bad thing. The ignore list is that in digital form.

Let's not forget that when you're quoted you get notifications. If you have ignore on, you can bypass that annoyance.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

Ok to be serious for a second, can the mods at least consider some kind of rule that discourages making posts bragging about putting people on ignore, particularly in contentious threads? It's needless drama and hostility that causes derailment.

Saying something like "lol another one for the ignore list," especially when directly quoting the person that someone is ignoring, shouldn't be allowed in my view. Like I said, it's needlessly hostile.

He has proof of Transistor's massive Collection of Bugsnax erotica

also, sick

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Mickey Mouse wants my ripe ass hole, how can i ignore this inevitability?

Can you not post quotes from Kingdom Hearts III - I haven't got around to playing it yet

Attack and dethrone mods

Beautiful.

Agreed 100%. But I get why people use the ignore function. Some posters are a stuck record on some topics and their posts can becoming grating to read. I am one of these posters.

Ashamed to say this had never occurred to me. Thanks for flagging this up - not that I plan on changing my avatar to anything horrific, but it's something I'll bear in mind in the future in general.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are some people so proscriptive when it comes to things that boil down to personal experience and/or trauma?

Great you're so strong and tough, congrats. Everyone else that isn't just has a "problem" with "different opinions", that's it.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

it's the real life equivalent to "I don't want to be your friend or talk to you. bye" lol.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

I'm not sure about that.

Before when it wasn't any indication it made threads look like ppl were insane.

Seeing someone I have on ignore, and not seeing their bad faith, disingenuous, or fanboyish contribution in real time helps me. I have the will power not to open their post.

I've also as recent as yesterday and today, posted in a hot topic and immediately unwatched and ignored the thread, knowing who where likely to respond first. And I was right, lol.

Last edited:

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I TRY not to put people on ignore because it bugs me when I see people clearly talking about something whoever I put on ignore said.

Now threads? That's a different story.