• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will never understand ignoring posters or threads, the mega shitposters/trolls usually get banned and if something really bothers you just skim past it.

The shitposters and trolls got nothing on people who think every thought that pops into their head needs to be posted. Some of the worst posters on this forum have the highest post count and ignoring them makes this place infinitely more readable.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Seriously. I saw a few days ago someone mention that they hit the cap for how many people you can ignore and at that point it's just like... why are you even on a forum if you're going to ignore everyone?
I'm genuinely surprised that 1.) there's a cap and that 2.) it was reached by somebody. At that point just DM your favorite users and form a discord channel or something lol

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
one day I'll be an administrator and the mods will fear me

they will be forced to listen to my opinions on the Animated Hobbit movie

Oct 31, 2017
ABr8GSc.png

Ew stop imma THROW

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
This thread has finally got me to block fat4all for constantly posting drivel, so something good came of it, at least.

Deleted member 9972

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you ignore a user, who then ascends to Modhood, do they smash themselves from the shackles of everyone's ignore lists?
This is a great question I want answered. If someone played the long game and just set every keep setting every user to ignore for a year or so, would they eventually succeed and have future generations of mods ignored? Is it possible someone is already attempting this? Could there be a supreme shitposter villian pop up one day immune to the power of moderation because he successfully ignored the mods? Should we start outsourcing our moderation from other sites to prevent this future timeline?

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
I can see my ignore list of people I've ignored (it's no one) but is there a way to see if anyone is ignoring yourself? Not like a list of all users, but just a count.
Could be interesting to see X amount of people are ignoring a person.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Ignoring forum members is so weird, do they bother you that much? I ignore posts without needing a button to do so.
Meh, for me, it makes perfect sense.

If you could block all the negative fuckery and focus on insightful posts with the single click of a button, why wouldn't you?

It's like how people see an awesome Tweet and then immediately we get 50 posts of "OMG SOMEONE IN THE COMMENTS SAID SOMETHING BAD, FAITH IN HUMANITY LOSTTTTT" and the forum goes up in arms when literally the simplest thing in the world to do is just ignore it and focus on positives of the great Tweet. Similarly, shitposts here at beginning of a thread will derail the entire thread because everyone has to quote the 'hot take from an attention-seeker on the internet'.

You know there's going to be shitposting. It's a verifiable fact. By highlighting them, though, you're amplifying and giving them a voice and changing the course of the discussion. But most importantly....imo, it's a waste of time to read them. Especially when those kinds of posts are the ones that get quoted the most.

Same concept here -- you if shitpost, are racist, are a cop apologist, are an all lives matter fuckhead, a rabid fanboy, an armchair analyst that speaks in absolutes and certain terms when you're quite clearly clueless, or an unironically entitled manchild.....then what you have to say is simply not worth my time. There's plenty of that on Era. I ignore these people in real life when in a shared space, why should I deal with them here?

It takes considerably less time and is infinitely more enjoyable to read a thread of 5 pages of discussion and discourse than it does to read 10 pages drama-filled fuckery that sounds like you're reading a high-school online journal.

And then to every now and again click the "show ignored users" button and see that each Ignore has been validated is like mimosas and french toast for brunch.

*shrugs* couldn't have implemented a better feature, imo. Even Outlook has a "focused inbox" feature that mutes background noise. I look at it like that.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Oh, speaking of mods, what is the best way for me to contact them here? Do I just message a random one?
I'm pretty sure the preferred method is to use the thread where they're all listed out, and then to @ every single of them in the thread where you need them to assemble like The Avengers.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
There might be more to the ignore function. I'm guessing ignoring is acting on a db query level and not just on the render. This might break other features where mod accounts have ownership of certain types of posts or actions which might be filtered too.

Bigger avatars are more important anyway.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Pretty much, they should rig the system so when you ignore someone you get a notification every time they post
What a weird take.

The ignore function here. Blocking and muting on Twitter. Muting post on FB. There are all amazing tools that add to my online QoL.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can see my ignore list of people I've ignored (it's no one) but is there a way to see if anyone is ignoring yourself? Not like a list of all users, but just a count.
Could be interesting to see X amount of people are ignoring a person.
I've suggested this for s long time. Would be neat to see how many people have ignored you

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I've suggested this for s long time. Would be neat to see how many people have ignored you
Why lol.

Why are you guys turning this into a personal thing?

Think IRL, do you chill, hang out and converse with everyone you know? NO. Do you enter into every conversation in your social vicinity?

People have preferences, annoyances, predilections. Freedom of association is a great thing. The ignore function is just a tool that mimics these IRL scenarios.