• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Here I am, ready to switch to a new id for the next generation and it turns out I can't use spaces? Sony, it's 2020 what are you doing. We shouldn't be stuck with hideous underscores or dashes like it's 2005...

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Because it's quite likely that usernames are unique identifiers in the database, which is why the name change thing was so weird.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Their database probably can't handle it. It shouldn't be that much of an issue when you can adjust your display name and that can have spaces.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Why would new usernames be unique identifiers in the database when that was the problem before they introduced name changes?

You're telling me Sony doubled down on the problem that put off the feature for years?

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Bad decisions were made for PSN infrastructure back in the day.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
it took them 10 years to figure out name changes. it will be another 5 before they get to complicated stuff like spaces.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to Playstation users paying for the sins of the PS3 era for the rest of time.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
It should have been worked on with the recent update. It's pretty shitty how their system works at the moment. Hopefully they take another look at it next gen.

Deleted member 44122

you can use just use uppercase letters if you dont want to use underscores or you can display your real name

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Because it's quite likely that usernames are unique identifiers in the database, which is why the name change thing was so weird.
So a unique identifier by definition can be anything with any sequence of characters (which can include a space), as long as it's of course unique. What's more likely going on is it can't query strings with a space as there might be parts of the system that use space as a syntax separator and the string isn't/can't be enclosed, which is a problem that while inconsistent keeps cropping up even today in other things.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Xbox
Nintendo
Steam
Epic

just off the top of my head

Pretty sure SteamID names can't have spaces, but player names can.. but those ain't exactly used for much so I'm not sure that counts.

Surprised Nintendo allows them considering I've had many headaches trying to choose a Nintendo username before.

Last edited: