• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just like the good old days of PS2 when people bought them in droves because of their DVD capability the PS5 shows up to be yet another multipurpose device.

Seriously though. I have my consoles set up in a fairly small room and its astounding just how quickly the room becomes unbearable from the heat that builds up. Does anyone else deal with this? In the winter its usually not that big of a deal because the outside weather usually offsets the heat but now that its starting to get a little warmer a few hours with the console on and I'm sweating.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
It definitely increases the temp of the room by a few degrees. The longer I play the greater the effect. Sometimes I don't notice how big of a difference it makes until I leave the room and feel the temperature drop.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LOL this was my experience with PS3Fat. It warmed up my tiny apartment pretty efficiently, a blessing in disguise.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Mine does not give off much heat at all tbh. Which was surprising after my hair dryer PS4 Pro.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta move that heat away from the components somehow! At least it's quiet, not like the F-14 w/ fully engaged afterburners (aka the PS4 Pro). I also feel like my Series X puts out more heat though. Some days it seems like I could toast marshmallows over the top vent. LOL

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
these things are a couple hundred watts - most rooms will have a heat loss of way more than that so they're unlikely to actively heat rooms unless you have other heating on as well

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
PS5 gives out some heat for sure, but it doesn't seem to be that much, my Series X though? Yeah, that thing is blazing. But they are both in a large room that is very cool, so it doesn't do anything unless I get up close to them.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
My PS5 is on frequently and tbh I never notice a temperature increase.

Now, back in the day when i built PC's on a regular basis? That's another story. I'll never forget my Athlon XP 2400+ build, the stock cooler was awful and even without overclocking the heat generated from it and the other components on the board etc was pretty insane and I'd never put up with that today.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
See also:
AVRs
TVs
PCs

As much heat as you'll feel coming out of a PS5 (and Series X) when they're no, it's not as much ambient heat as those other components. This is why I keep the ceiling fan to my game room on almost all the time.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
PS5, XSX, and previous gen consoles have similar TDP (~200W) so PS5 isn't much different from anything else.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
LOL this was my experience with PS3Fat. It warmed up my tiny apartment pretty efficiently, a blessing in disguise.

Yep. I find that these heat/noise issues are always so exaggerated. But not the PS3. It really did pump out a ridiculous amount of heat. It once made me check if I'd left my oven on, no kidding.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Can't say I've noticed much heat from my PS5

Maybe yours is defective?

Hotbug

Dec 3, 2020
My cat learned to sleep on the paneling above the PS5 bin for maximum self-baking.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Can't say I've really noticed the heat from mine, it definitely puts out less than the PS4 Pro did and I can't hear it either.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
Using my TV, consoles, or PC heats up my room pretty quick. Actually makes playing in the summers here quite unpleasant. Usually have to keep it to early morning or late evening when it's slightly cooler and cheaper to run the AC.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
The heat output has no correlation with the noise it makes. I'm pretty sure the PS5 produces more heat than the PS4 Pro despite being quieter.
I just mean that mine doesn't. I didn't say hair dryer because of the noise, you put your hand on the rear vents and it was very hot and pushing the heat out rapidly. I put my hand on the back of the PS5 vents and it's barely even warm.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta move that heat away from the components somehow! At least it's quiet, not like the F-14 w/ fully engaged afterburners (aka the PS4 Pro). I also feel like my Series X puts out more heat though. Some days it seems like I could toast marshmallows over the top vent. LOL

PS5 gives out some heat for sure, but it doesn't seem to be that much, my Series X though? Yeah, that thing is blazing. But they are both in a large room that is very cool, so it doesn't do anything unless I get up close to them.

Partly because of how the air is expelled.

Xbox Series X is upward and concentrated to the top and center. PS5 is downward and to the sides, so putting your hand behind it isn't exactly directly on the hot air like on the XSX.

Tech Jesus has a good video about it

Both work, just different ways.

Edit: don't forget manufacturing variances and voltages, so some may be a bit hotter but within spec.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Yep. Heat out is a good thing. These ain't shitty laptop APUs like the PS4 / Xbone. These things make some heat, which needs to go somewhere.

datwr

Nov 5, 2017
Both PS5 and XSX drawn around 200 watts at peak performance, and therefore produce about equivalent amount of heat.
That is about two average persons, so not a lot at all, and compared to a normal 1500 W space heater, it doesn't even compare.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
They radiate lots of heat, yes, but take a step back and wrap your head around what these little boxes are doing. It's incredible engineering and I for one am always amazed at what they can do in such a small form factor.

I don't notice that much because mine are in a spacious room.

Last edited:

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
When your room is warm, it's a sign that the boxes are doing what they're supposed to -- dissipate heat.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
My PS5 doesn't give that much heat nor does my Series X.
My PC on the other hand... : P One reason why I haven't been gaming much lately.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Sucks to hear. I've been pretty lucky with console noise. I even had a quiet PS4 Pro (Star Wars edition). My series X makes no noise, and I don't notice and difference in heat when I have it on.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
PS5 is about 200W
A space heater is 1500-2000W
So you'd need 10 PS5 for the same effect. Bit of an exaggeration OP.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Weird.. maybe I don't play long enough or maybe it's because I don't use rest mode, but mine actually has (almost) cool air coming out of it. 🤔

Every other PS before have been heaters though.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Yeah both my PS5 and XSX put out a lot of heat when playing graphically intensive games that had the fans going fast to remove heat. Both are in vertical orientation and out in the open next to/behind the tv. Don't notice a ton in the winter, but definitely in the summer as it's pretty hot here and can definitely notice the extra temp since it's heating up a small room and not the area where the thermostat for the central air is. Have a pedestal fan aimed at my reclining love seat to help off set that.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
My PS4Pro... yes that was a great spare heater have on those winter nights.

My PS5, not so much.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
My gaming tv is in the basement, so it is large and cool enough that I never feel my Series X increasing the room temperature at all.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I can't say I've ever noticed this. Is the PS5 sitting next to you with the vents aiming at your face or what?