• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
www.pcgamesn.com

Why Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition was a mess when it launched

Nightdive Studios talks about the mistakes that led to the botched launch of Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition, and what it's doing to fix it
We spoke with Nightdive's director of business development, Larry Kuperman, and Dimitris Giannakis, the lead producer on Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition, about why this latest remaster launched in the state it did, and what they're doing to fix it.

"The responsibility for the ship date and, in retrospect, the failure to change the ship date resides 100% with me," Kuperman tells us flatly. "The ship date was picked because it aligned with the 40th anniversary of the movie – that seemed that it would be something that would be a really cool thing to do for the fans."

At launch, Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition was plagued with a host of minor but nonetheless disruptive issues. PC players in particular balked at some of the AI-assisted smoothing used to render old FMV cutscenes in 60 fps, and at the lack of a 16:9 aspect ratio.

Blade Runner Enhanced Edition: A city street lit with neon signs for Hawker's club and Bullet Bob's Runner Surplus store

"I think it was more of a death by a thousand cuts," Giannakis says. "We had a lot of small things that were kind of upsetting people or bothering people about the game. I wouldn't say there was any one major showstopper – we heard feedback about things like, 'we don't like the border that you have, can we turn that off?' Or 'there's no brightness settings in the game, can we have that?'"

The day after launch, Nightdive added two classic ScummVM-powered versions of Blade Runner to the Enhanced Edition – the original version, and one that included some unused content that had been cut from the Westwood release. Kuperman points out that this made the original Blade Runner available on consoles for the first time.

The new Enhanced Edition itself, however, was woefully unfinished, and Kuperman says this was the result of a "perfect storm" of challenges the studio faced during development, particularly in the period leading up to the release date.

Westwood's Blade Runner is a point-and-click adventure game, but creating the Enhanced Edition presented some significant challenges over games like Quake, where there's usable source code. For Blade Runner, Nightdive had to reverse-engineer the game and rebuild it from the ground up. It's a process that Giannakis says took thousands of hours.

The original game used some cutting-edge technology for 1997 – while the scenes all look two-dimensional, they're often rendered as 3D spaces.

"Everything's done in a 3D world, even though it looks like a 2D adventure game," Giannakis explains. "There's lighting in there, there's shadows, there's depth of field – all sorts of 3D concepts before 3D became the norm."

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the publisher can get back on track with this.

Was all set for Day One as I'd been anticipating this release for a long, long time.

But the initial impressions saying it was a shoddy port on PC really scared me off.

It's the strangest thing, as I've had nothing but good experiences with Nightdive Studios in the past. I have a bunch of their rereleases and have been super-happy with them all up to this point.

OP
OP
Shard Shinjuku
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
I hope the publisher can get back on track with this.

Was all set for Day One as I'd been anticipating this release for a long, long time.

But the initial impressions saying it was a shoddy port on PC really scared me off.

It's the strangest thing, as I've had nothing but good experiences with Nightdive Studios in the past. I have a bunch of their rereleases and have been super-happy with them all up to this point.

Publisher Mentality took hold on this one.

spectator

Jan 23, 2018
I'm hoping they can stay the course here, as I'm waiting on some more updates before I buy.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
"Anyone who knows me knows I have a strong personality," Kuperman adds. "Maybe Dimitris [Giannakis], if he'd been on board, would have been the one that said, 'hey, we're not ready.' Maybe it was because of my personality, because of who I am, that nobody told us we weren't ready."
Red flag alert here.

Oct 29, 2017
Red flag alert here.
I mean the real red flag came shortly after announcement when they came into the ScummVM discord said "can we use this", to which the team said "let's chat" and then Night Dive ghosted.

As someone who follows ScummVM I've been waiting for the crash and burn on this one since. Apparently they just thought they could throw some filters on ScummVM's work and call it a day.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
I mean the real red flag came shortly after announcement when they came into the ScummVM discord said "can we use this", to which the team said "let's chat" and then Night Dive ghosted.

As someone who follows ScummVM I've been waiting for the crash and burn on this one since. Apparently they just thought they could throw some filters on ScummVM's work and call it a day.

I thought the enhanced edition is their own creation. They included the scummvm version as "the original" without crediting scummvm, which is what really turned the steam reviews around. The article made it seems like the bugfixes did that.

Last edited:

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Hats off to PCGamesN for reaching out to them and for Nightdive for taking the time to discuss the release and what things are on the cards in future updates.

There was a part of me honestly surprised that folks like Digital Foundry, who cover a lot of Nightdive's stuff, seemed to just ignore this release despite the game's rather storied history and technical issues at launch.

I've still put off playing it because I'm ultimately rooting for Nightdive to make this better, and it sounds like they really are.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Well, he seems aware of it as he brought it up. Doesn't seem like the usual self-delusional "passionate" asshole.

Sure but either way, implying that maybe nobody felt comfortable telling him the truth because of "who he is" (and because of his personality) is not a good look.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Wait is the original available in the console release? Weird wording there in the article

chiller

Apr 23, 2021

I mean that's definitely bad form, but ScummVM is distributed under the GPL. As long as they meet their obligations specified in the license, they can use it as detached or lazily as they want in a commercial product.
(not saying that doing so / releasing something in that state is "okay," just noting that it's allowed under ScummVM's own terms)

Oct 29, 2017
I mean that's definitely bad form, but ScummVM is distributed under the GPL. As long as they meet their obligations specified in the license, they can use it as detached or lazily as they want in a commercial product.
(not saying that doing so / releasing something in that state is "okay," just noting that it's allowed under ScummVM's own terms)
Apparently the sticking point was distributing on consoles, which in some way broke the GPL. I don't remember exact details, but I'm sure the dev's would be happy to chat.

Nov 6, 2017
Apparently the sticking point was distributing on consoles, which in some way broke the GPL. I don't remember exact details, but I'm sure the dev's would be happy to chat.
You need to link in system libraries on console for the games to run and you can't legally do that unless the libraries are GPL (compatible) licensed which Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft really don't want to do for obvious reasons.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm hoping they can stay the course here, as I'm waiting on some more updates before I buy.

The link mentioned this for the next update:

Another patch is in the works, and Nightdive says it plans to add features like a toggle between original and Enhanced Edition videos, improvements to the UI and the menus, better pathfinding, and more.

"As opposed to the 40th anniversary [of Blade Runner], we're going back to our old standard of saying the second patch will be out when it's ready," Kuperman says, a bit wryly. "When it passes through to QA, and when we're sure that it fixes as many bugs as we possibly can."

That sounds promising at least.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
We didn't ghost them, that would be weird. It was moved to a private conversation as you normally do. However no deal could be made to make a non-gpl version (a requirement for consoles), so we had to move to making our own disassembly.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I think eople should take it easy and not try to see the worst in everything and everyone based on speculation and third hand information. Look at Night Dive's release and support history, and they've done good by players and the games they work on.

I'm confident they'll iron out the kinks. Until then, yet another lesson not to buy stuff blindly if you want the best, most content complete and bug-free experience.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
Red flag alert here.

Just came here to post the exact same thing.

What the hell is up with that?

Well, he seems aware of it as he brought it up. Doesn't seem like the usual self-delusional "passionate" asshole.

Sure but either way, implying that maybe nobody felt comfortable telling him the truth because of "who he is" (and because of his personality) is not a good look.

The link mentioned this for the next update:

Another patch is in the works, and Nightdive says it plans to add features like a toggle between original and Enhanced Edition videos, improvements to the UI and the menus, better pathfinding, and more.

"As opposed to the 40th anniversary [of Blade Runner], we're going back to our old standard of saying the second patch will be out when it's ready," Kuperman says, a bit wryly. "When it passes through to QA, and when we're sure that it fixes as many bugs as we possibly can."

That sounds promising at least.

Larry Kuperman doesn't even remotely fit the definition of "toxic asshole".

It's really not a good quote but that's obviously good to hear, and it's also obvious that you guys are working hard to continue to fix the release.

Yeah, as someone who's talked with Larry in the past, as well as met him in person for meetings, he's a really down to earth, friendly guy. Nothing but nice things to say about my time conversing with him.

This really just seems like best wishes didn't come to fruition. The fact that NDS is being upfront about it, owning their failure, and planning to fix it, says a lot overall. I think based on their history NDS should get the benefit of the doubt.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
This has been a huge misfire for them, one that has damaged years and years of goodwill and a hard-earned name. I hope they learn from this.

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
There was a part of me honestly surprised that folks like Digital Foundry, who cover a lot of Nightdive's stuff, seemed to just ignore this release despite the game's rather storied history and technical issues at launch.
Retro games are covered by John at the DF, and he was on the vacation when this released, same reason they didn't make a video on Quake remaster last year.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
We didn't ghost them, that would be weird. It was moved to a private conversation as you normally do. However no deal could be made to make a non-gpl version (a requirement for consoles), so we had to move to making our own disassembly.

Thank you for taking the time to clarify this. Often times people are left to speculate and end up disliking others without even knowing whether it's true.

This really just seems like best wishes didn't come to fruition. The fact that NDS is being upfront about it, owning their failure, and planning to fix it, says a lot overall. I think based on their history NDS should get the benefit of the doubt.

That's how I feel about it too based on what we know. I'm one of those who have yet to play the game and am interested. I'm waiting until it's in a good state and then I might get it on a future sale.

Yeah, Larry's comment can be looked at negatively but you don't usually say this about yourself openly. It can be something else. We can't know for sure.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Always sad to see a troubled release at the end of a project, especially one like this. Hope they manage to fix things.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I bought this literally an hour or two after it was made available to buy on PSN. I still haven't played it! It got a patch recently, but I'm assuming the game is still far from being at an optimal state, especially if they're working on a second patch right now, so I guess I'll just wait longer.

JBoogieG

Aug 2, 2022
SW Virginia
This has been a huge misfire for them, one that has damaged years and years of goodwill and a hard-earned name. I hope they learn from this.

There's definitely been some reputational damage over this but I also don't think it's as big as youre making it out to be. I feel lole Blade Runner is more niche than the other titles they've worked on and there's been a *real* solid line of successes there.

If this starts being a trend then I'd agree with you more but everybody should at least be able to own up to their mistakes and it surely seems like they are.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Retro games are covered by John at the DF, and he was on the vacation when this released, same reason they didn't make a video on Quake remaster last year.

Makes sense for the release of the Enhanced Edition, but was still hoping they'd check in on it since then.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Dimitris Giannakis is Modern Vintage Gamer aka MVG for those who don't know.

Nightdive has a pretty solid track record and MVG is a good dude, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt here and believe that their internal desire to hit the 40th anniversary simply got the better of them.

Never a good look to release a buggy product though. Hope they make good on it.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I didn't realise they'd added the ScummVM versions. I might buy this - particularly if there's a promise of patch(es) down the line.

For me what put me off initially is - I think - screenshots of the noodle bar area, where the characters looked like they were popping way off the background. I know there's only so much they can do - but I think if they could marry the 3D and 2D a little better, or retune it so it feels a bit better, I would be much happier to buy.

It's a classic game so it deserves a second chance if the publisher / dev / fans are willing to give it one.

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense for the release of the Enhanced Edition, but was still hoping they'd check in on it since then.
The window of engagement has already passed. It seems like if they don't make a video about the game in the week since it releases or important update drops, they don't think it's worth it since it's not gonna get enough views.

Plus, I don't remember John ever even mentioning this game, so I don't think he would make one in the first place since he doesn't have any passion for it unlike, say, PowerSlave.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
The window of engagement has already passed. It seems like if they don't make a video about the game in the week since it releases or important update drops, they don't think it's worth it since it's not gonna get enough views.

Plus, I don't remember John ever even mentioning this game, so I don't think he would make one in the first place since he doesn't have any passion for it unlike, say, PowerSlave.

This clearly comes down to my misunderstanding of Digital Foundry I suppose, as I felt a game like Blade Runner from a company like Nightdive, and the standard it launched at, would be well within theirs - and the public's - interest, but I guess it comes down to just what games they like personally/can spend the time covering among the team to meet earliest engagement.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realise they'd added the ScummVM versions. I might buy this - particularly if there's a promise of patch(es) down the line.

For me what put me off initially is - I think - screenshots of the noodle bar area, where the characters looked like they were popping way off the background. I know there's only so much they can do - but I think if they could marry the 3D and 2D a little better, or retune it so it feels a bit better, I would be much happier to buy.

It's a classic game so it deserves a second chance if the publisher / dev / fans are willing to give it one.

Yeah, I couldn't believe how much the character sprites popped off the screen compared to the prerendered backgrounds in the Enhanced Edition screenshots. It looked really jarring and immersion-breaking. I'm not a dev so I can't speak to how difficult it might be to merge the two render styles, but even a simple desaturation of the sprites to hit the same brightness intensity of the foreground & background seems like it could have gone a long way to elevating this issue.

Like I said above, I've had a really good track record with NDS purchases so I'm all in if the dev team is able to iron out the kinks on this one. I still love their preservation work and look forward to future releases like System Shock 2.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Skipped the LRG release because of the quality and didn't feel like waiting over a year for my copy. Shame, normally their Remasters are absolutely stellar :(

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Post-patch, is the game better now? How is it on Switch? I have it on my wishlist but don't want to buy it if it is still a technical mess. Anyone with updated impressions?

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Sorry for the necrobump but anyone kept up with this?

Is it in its best place now? I'm still really keen to play it.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I played it a couple of patches in and found it quite playable. From memory I only ran into a single glitch where the 3D character was desynced from a panning shot, so he appeared to float away.
The upscaled art and videos and the brightness stuff didn't affected the playability for me.
I think the bigger struggle for me is that the control scheme and interface is pretty unique and doesn't Translate well to a controller.
Also compared to modern games there is no real tutorial or onboarding , so knowing what you are meant to do with some of the in game mechanics is a bit mysterious.
This might be because it was from a different world of game manuals, guidebooks and tips lines being a very real thing that influenced games of the time.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I have the game on Switch and will report back once I put some time into it. I gotta be in the right mood to play this game though.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for the necrobump but anyone kept up with this?

Is it in its best place now? I'm still really keen to play it.
on PC (Steam) it now comes with the enhanced and original version, so I've just been using it to play the original version on Steam Deck and it's lovely.