• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Being sober does suck, having to confront the absolute state of the world, ravaged by capitalism, climate change, a pandemic, and the starvation and exploitation of so many people, and being powerless to change that in any way that matters. I drink too. If it were legal I'd do edibles instead though or maybe go to the doc and get a prescription for benzos. Drinking is cool but the mornings are... often unpleasant. It still beats being sober all of the time.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I haven't had an alcoholic drink in over 3 years but if I was to follow OP's advice I'd rather go for speed or ecstasy or even just plain old pot. Acid or mushrooms if you really want to get fancy. Drinking is depressing and lame. Go out high as fuck dancing to EDM not weeping over a beer lamenting the ice melting.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Drunk threads are cool and all, but I don't think we need to bag on people trying to be sober. Like... If you feel that sobriety is right for you, then you deserve support and encouragement. Even like jokes about it can be hard for people trying to stay sober.

People who are trying to stay sober -- You're amazing, your choices are worth it, and I respect all the hard work you put into yourself.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
I am just a worthless liar,
I am just an imbecile
I will only complicate you,
Trust in me and fall as well
I will find a center in you,
I will chew it up and leave
I will work to elevate you,
Just enough to bring you down

Trust me
Trust me
Trust me...

Soybean

Nov 12, 2017
I like being sober and not sober. A Manhattan or martini at night won't kill me. I'm with you, OP.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean I like getting drunk and shit it's fun but for most parts of life I prefer my sobriety.

I wonder the same thing in regards to my investments. What's the point of living semi-broke all the time well investing money for retirement if the world is going to be in shambles come retirement time?

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
They tell us to take care of our bodies, but when climate change is gonna kill us all in 2 decades tops, why care?
Look at the present of happiness that doesn't hurt your body and not what's in the (highly unpredictable) future. You, me, everyone here could die tomorrow for all we know from a random health complication, or anything. We either die or not, there's no in between. So live like you're going to live 100 years, because you could?

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
You realize that humanity lived through the plague, 2 world wars, countless wars before that etc. and didn't have such a attitude, because if they had most of us wouldn't be here today. And i gurantee you that people had worries about the future and had it WAY worse than any of us right now. So stop being so defeated and try to do your best to make the world a better place. You can't do that while being drunk all the time, you will make it worse for you and everybody around you.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You realize that humanity lived through the plague, 2 world wars, countless wars before that etc. and didn't have such a attitude, because if they had most of us wouldn't be here today. And i gurantee you that people had worries about the future and had it WAY worse than any of us right now. So stop being so defeated and try to do your best to make the world a better place. You can't do that while being drunk all the time, you will make it worse for you and everybody around you.
Well, it is worth keeping in mind that climate change is going to hit us much harder than the plague and 2 world wars combined. Entire countries will disappear. Sure its best to keep positive ofc but its also silly to pretend we will just weather the storm like anything else. It will not be like anything we have faced.

Jimi D

Oct 27, 2017
Because, wet brain ain't pretty... and it's coming if you don't stop...

Alcohol is a toxin, and if you misuse it the consequences are dire.

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
Well, it is worth keeping in mind that climate change is going to hit us much harder than the plague and 2 world wars combined. Entire countries will disappear. Sure its best to keep positive ofc but its also silly to pretend we will just weather the storm like anything else. It will not be like anything we have faced.
Yeah but the constant and way immediate threat of Nukes during the days after WW2 and the Cold War would have also hit as hard as climate change, probably even harder. There is always some big threat to all of humanity looming and the best is to try to work against it and not give in to despair.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but the constant and way immediate threat of Nukes during the days after WW2 and the Cold War would have also hit as hard as climate change, probably even harder. There is always some big threat to all of humanity looming and the best is to try to work against it and not give in to despair.
The threat was always there which definitely took its toll. But unlike the nukes we know this is going to actually hit, not just a threat that it could. Of course, I dont think that's reason to just give up and decide to die. But I do think its enough reason to reassess some big life decisions around. I know people who won't have children because of the world we're passing on to them and I can't say I blame them.

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
The threat was always there which definitely took its toll. But unlike the nukes we know this is going to actually hit, not just a threat that it could. Of course, I dont think that's reason to just give up and decide to die. But I do think its enough reason to reassess some big life decisions around. I know people who won't have children because of the world we're passing on to them and I can't say I blame them.
And i think that is a pretty entitled opinion, but I don't blame them either. But we didn't live through the plague, World WArs or (most) through the cold war. I think the threat back then was extremely real to the people and they still had children and tried to do their best.
As a German: Germany was completly devastated after WW2 and my grandparents still had children and rebuilt.
Yeah climate change is a very real threat and we will all feel the devastating stuff from it. But even scientists predict it will still take some time to show the full effect. Yeah we already see effects, but we can still slow it down, maybe we finally get some CO2 filters, maybe we find some solution to some of the stuff. There is no point being that dire TODAY.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
This thread really isn't conducive to good discussion. Alcoholism shouldn't be taken lightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.