• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

javac

Oct 28, 2017
People are saying Nintendo had a head start but even launch aligned Nintendo's characters are more iconic 20 years in, playstation has been around for 2 decades after all, nothing to sneeze at.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
I'd argue that, in the UK at least, they are.

Now consider how the UK didn't take to the (S)NES the same as America did, since we didn't have an industry crash thanks to a healthy home computer scene, and you have your answer.

Oct 27, 2017
Yea, I'm not showing my kids games like The Last of Us, God of War, or some of the other more serious grounded tone games. So they aren't even going to be introduced to these characters until they are teenagers at the earliest.

Meanwhile, my 3 year old begs to watch 5 minutes of Mario games.

Also, Sony moves on from IP's for new ones. TLoU is a great game but we'll probably only see 2 entries.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody has franchises as iconic as Nintendo because of who Nintendo is to the gaming community. Nintendo is Nintendo man.

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because Sony only really improved the quality and quantity of their first party offerings with the PS3.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Realistically the only companies with icons are Nintendo and sega and a few others of that era.

Sony's dominance came later and really pushed the industry forward, but the icons that made it were already of a bygone era.

The foundations had already been set and it was Sonic, Mario, Pac-man etc that made them.

For this reason if you're not a company of that era making a classic 'mini' console, platform fighter like smash or any other product that trades on nostalgia is a losing battle at this point, basically 1995 or earlier if you're aiming at that idea.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The longevity argument doesn't make sense anymore. Sony is only two generations behind. That's not a lot.

Of their IP, only God of War and Gran Turismo have spanned multiple generations with the comparable budget and the same developers.

And it shows. Those IPs are amazing to this day. They invest in them. And they are rather recognizable as well.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Sony doesn't constantly reuse their characters so there is less opportunity to gain mindshare.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Solid troll thread.

Nintendo games are more universally appealing but Sony first party has been really selling well as of late. It seems as though they have it down.

OP
OP
Touchdown

Touchdown

Oct 25, 2017
Kratos & Crash (if you count it) are pretty iconic, but you just can't beat Mario & Zelda.

Truer words were never said....

1bd83f3a6b.png

Oct 27, 2017
If Playstation said they are going to stop making games and just focus on the newest console technology for third parties. I really wouldn't give it second thought. XD But if Nintendo ever came to that point I would probably be mortified.

While many others would be mortified of not getting new Sony IP's aimed at a more mature audience.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We're starting to see nostalgia for the PS1 era as plenty who grew up with the PS1 are approaching an age where they are getting nostalgic for the games on that system. But Sony doesn't seem to be capitalizing on that, but companies like Activision with Crash Bandicoot and Spyro are.

I would buy an Ape Escape HD Remake similar to what Crash Bandicoot and Spyro got in a heart beat, but I don't see Sony budging.

Kumomeme

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Malaysia
because nintendo like to create iconic mascot that appeal to wide range of audience that also could serve nice merchandise for them?

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only differences are nostalgia and Nintendo continuing to keep those characters around as opposed to shuddering them. That's really the only difference for better or for worse. Nintendo keeps franchises and characters from getting stale by revamping them in some revolutionary way or they create some mechanic that differentiates it from prior games in the series. I think Sony's approach is more iterative and an evolution over time and when that character or franchise has run its course, it's retired to the Sony vault...only to be re-released in a remaster or remake.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Solid troll thread.

Nintendo games are more universally appealing but Sony first party has been really selling well as of late. It seems as though they have it down.
Not really trollish. It's true.

That's fine. Sony is a still gaming juggernaut. They have other strengths.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The other issue is that Sony hasn't really bothered establishing a "mascot". They has Crash but gave him up and haven't had one since.

For whatever reason they chose not to put any real focus on Ratchet and Clank.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the days of the "mascot" are dead and at this point that kind of fandom only exists with Nintendo. Franchise wise Sony has plenty of heavy hitters; GOW, TLOU, Uncharted, Horizon should all last another gen for sure.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
because they havent reused them for 30+ years? Nintendo's franchises are symbolic of the core of modern gaming since they started the modern industry. That's not something Sony's IP can attest to, regardless of how good they may be.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Not really trollish. It's true.

That's fine. Sony is a still gaming juggernaut. They have other strengths.
I know it's true but the framing of this discussion is definitely trollish. It's Touchdown man. I think it's funny but stoking the fires of console war using Mariah Carey gifs is bait.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo characters are definitely iconic and evergreen but too much so, to their detriment. They barely create any new IP on the level of Mario, Zelda etc.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Visually much less interesting and not as memorable as Nintendo's simple and elegant designs that appeal greatly to all ages
That doesn't mean it's bad, but it just doesn't really compare

Where are all the knack jokes

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Sony, give me Ape Escape 4 already, you dim-witted bastards!
Ah yes!

Another thing, Sony just seems bad at IP management, by and large. They basically killed Ape Escape with all these insipid mini game collections. Nintendo tends to be very conservative. For example, there's usually only one Mario Kart game per generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.