• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

EightBitNate

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
They've been around for a shorter amount of time. Sony doesn't have many "important" characters in the PS1 era. Kratos is their biggest and he's only been around 3 generations.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Not enough nostalgia surrounding Sony IP's yet and they focus more on variety than sticking with the same franchises and characters.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
How many Sony icons would you say star in masterpieces?

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Nintendo has about a decade on them and Nintendo is credited with rebooting the gaming industry into what it is today after the industry collapse in 1983.

The NES being colored and stylized to look like a device instead of a gaming console, being named an Entertainment system instead of gaming system, etc.

The IP's that launched on that platform will forever be imprinted in gaming legacy and have more prestige because of that.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo has been making different types of games for the same IPs for decades instead of making as much new IP. That only recently started to change. I think the only time Sony has done something similar was with God of War.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Newer. Tend to skew more realistic and adult. Not everyone can pump out iconic characters as iconic as the best in the biz.

Take your pick.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
You gotta remember, we've been growing up as gamers knowing Mascots like Mario, Yoshi, Luigi, Peach, Bowser etc, since what feels like forever in the gaming industry. It's not like mascots such as Crash Bandicoot, Nathan Drake or LBP's Sackboy etc have been around for a long enough time to create that sense of "iconic" feeling towards Playstation's mascots.

It's the same thing with Microsoft, we've known Gears & Halo mascots for a long time, too. Almost most gamers can recognize or spot those iconic franchises without second guessing themselves.

You could argue with Kratos being around long enough plus the new God of War being amazing that he's iconic, too in his own way or building towards being iconic. However, it's not the same when it comes to knowing them.

It's more so longevity than anything else.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Nintendo's IPs are (generally) more family friendly and thus wider reaching. And since they skew younger, they probably make a larger impact.

Having a decade+ on Sony doesn't hurt either, of course

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They haven't been around as long, and many don't have the appeal to younger gamers like Nintendo games do. Nintendo is one of the only companies that does "fun for all ages" the right way. That's not a knock on Sony, as they have some fantastic franchises. But their games aren't a lock for appealing to every single demo

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Also not all Nintendo franchises are iconic like the incredibly niche and unpopular F-Zero series.

>:)

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Sony franchises of today all aimed at adults while Nintendo franchises aimed at all ages

Also Nintendo have much more variety first party wise

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo's IP are more appropriate for everyone. I can't even begin to show my child something like GoW for many years to come, in the mean time she loves Kirby, Yoshi, Mario/Peach/Peachette and Link/Zelda already.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
Nnnnnn... you are kind of right.

The other day I was going to get a PS Classic but then I realized that I dont have a lot of desire of nostalgia to play PSX games AT ALL, less alone Sony output during that time.

Hell, even with the possibility to play Final Fantasy VII I just noped remembering how ugly it looks nowadays and how slow it is.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Nintendo had a head start, and did it better. Sony doesn't have a lot of true mascots from early on, as Crash had petered out and never gained as much traction as Mario. Same for Spyro, and Tomb Raider went multiplatform.

They didn't do as good of a job managing their mascots and big series, and keeping them both quality and current.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your average Era poster is prolly 30 and played Zelda/Mario on NES/SNES in their youth instead of the PS1/PS2 and their roster of characters.

Last edited:

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Sony relied on third parties for 4 console generations, which isn't a bad thing. Not to say they haven't had good 1st party titles over the years...

Also I feel people buy Playstation's for thousands of different reasons(gaming series), but you buy Nintendo systems for a few franchises.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Sony didn't need Sony-owned icons to sell Playstations. Third-party icons like Lara Croft, Cloud, Crash, Sonic, Abe, Heihachi, Snake, Alucard, etc did that for them and it payed off. Sony sold 256 million Playstation 1s and 2s. In comparison Nintendo only sold 55 million N64s and Gamecubes.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
to the people saying that nintendo's been doing it longer, do you think sony's first party studios are making games comparable to nintendo at their 25 year point?

Deleted member 873

Oct 25, 2017
Such a low effort OP, sis (serving Days Gone's designers). Might as well post something before it gets locked.

2f38b8c5dc.gif

D-Volt

Jan 31, 2018
They haven't been around as long, and many don't have the appeal to younger gamers like Nintendo games do. Nintendo is one of the only companies that does "fun for all ages" the right way. That's not a knock on Sony, as they have some fantastic franchises. But their games aren't a lock for appealing to every single demo

This is pretty much the truth. It doesn't help that Sony has pretty much shunned all their franchises that were family friendly and colorful (e.g. Parappa the Rapper, Ape Escape, Sly Cooper) to the dustbin of history, only pulling them out when they need a few characters to diversify the roster in a cross over.

GART9000

Feb 23, 2019
Mario has been a household name for nearly 35 years. Who even is the "face" of Sony's games?

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Mario has been a household name for nearly 35 years. Who even is the "face" of Sony's games?

It's true. Mario has been massive for decades. He's transcended gaming. He was gaming at a point.

Sony has had no clear single mascot, and that's hurt them. The mascots they rely on most now (or so I see) are Drake and Kratos, and those have only been around since late PS2/early PS3.

Oct 27, 2017
I think

1. Because they didn't really start their massive first party until PS2. Had iconic games before that but not as much first party. So 10-15 less years

2. They are iconic, just not as much.

3. While PS4 Big first party games have sold tons, like 8-10M, I don't think Sony has as long a track record of 20M+ first party sellers like Pokémon, Mario, etc

RobertM

Oct 31, 2017
PS1 major focus on 3rd party
PS2 major focus on 3d party and a few franchise being created
PS3 more focused on internal IPs and a lot of games that don't develop in to franchise.

One, they haven't been around since 80th. Two, they didn't focus on mascots and kid friendly games as much as Nintendo has. Three, most of their franchise game skew toward older audience.

OP
OP
Touchdown

Touchdown

Oct 25, 2017
If Playstation said they are going to stop making games and just focus on the newest console technology for third parties. I really wouldn't give it second thought. XD But if Nintendo ever came to that point I would probably be mortified.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Sony doesn't invest in them as much as Nintendo does--simple as that.

Nintendo puts their top tier development teams on those franchises. Uncharted and God of War get B-tier studios for their portable entries for example.

Oct 29, 2017
Nintendo has about a decade on them and Nintendo is credited with rebooting the gaming industry into what it is today after the industry collapse in 1983.

The NES being colored and stylized to look like a device instead of a gaming console, being named an Entertainment system instead of gaming system, etc.

The IP's that launched on that platform will forever be imprinted in gaming legacy and have more prestige because of that.
Were done here.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from Nintendo having a head start, the studios that have worked on Sony's games tend to move on to different things when they feel they're done with them, so there's not really a lot of longevity.

God of War and Ratchet and Clank are the only ones that I can think of that have stuck around for a few gens at this point (and both have definitely had their moments out of the spotlight).

Status
Not open for further replies.