• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rafiii

Feb 7, 2019
Maybe because it's boring / annoying to play those games?
My personal experience is that Metroid "grandeur" is a lie and all the people who love it live in a fantasy.

I've been burnt by Metroid twice (Metroid Prime and Super Metroid).
Bought those games on Wii U VC because "everyone" love them so much. The beginning was fun but then I got lost and I had no idea where to go.
I saw in some videos that you have to bomb some random sutff to open holes and continue (in super metroid at least). That's BS.

Metroid Samus returns (3DS) was the only Metroid that I could enjoy, they got rid of the stupid stuff in the game design and they put the tools to help me.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I guess it's hard for people to be interested in a game series that peaked 25 years ago. Not that Prime or Fusion were bad, but they still don't hold a candle to Super Metroid. The series has had so many "eh" or outright bad entries, including Hunters, Other M, and Federation Force. It's hard to be hyped about whatever might be coming.

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019
I guess it's hard for people to be interested in a game series that peaked 25 years ago. Not that Prime or Fusion were bad, but they still don't hold a candle to Super Metroid. The series has had so many "eh" or outright bad entries, including Hunters, Other M, and Federation Force. It's hard to be hyped about whatever might be coming.

Super Metroid was clearly the height so far, but I still think the franchise hasn't peaked yet, in terms of sales and quality.

Nintendo doesn't care though. The way they managed MP4 development should tell everyone how much they respect the franchise.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Only ignorant people would crucify you over Dark Souls inspiration. Bloodborne is the best 3D Metroidvania out there and a Metroid with souls vibe would be fantastic.

Lol, no.

Yep. That's the reason why Nintendo should stop trying to reinvent gaming when making a Metroid game. They should just try to make a good game featuring Samus and I'm sure it would turn good and sell decently.

Nintendo doesn't care though. Just look at how managed MP4 development and that should tell everyone how much they respect the franchise.

Yes, that worked great with Prime 2 and 3. Or Fusion /s

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Yep. That's the reason why Nintendo should stop trying to reinvent gaming when making a Metroid game. They should just try to make a good game featuring Samus and I'm sure it would turn good and sell decently.

Nintendo doesn't care though. Just look at how managed MP4 development and that should tell everyone how much they respect the franchise.
*Looks at Prime 2, Prime 3, and Fusion and what they've said they want to do with Prime 4* Uh huh

What? The fact that they restarted development on the game and are trying to increase the scope of the game as well as push it as a major title shows that they respect the series and care plenty. It just doesn't get the same attention as Nintendo's other franchises because it's nowhere near as popular as them and there's only so many games they can work on at once

Honestly, Metroid fans are up there with Souls fans as some of the most annoying ones out there

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
The breaks in the series release schedule have hurt it methinks. It went MIA between Super and Prime/Fusion, and then MIA again between Prime 3 and Samus Returns*.

And now there's another gap with how they handled Prime 4. It's just not good for the series.

* No there was nothing in the 10 year gap between Prime 3 and Samus Returns. If only they had finished Dread just to have even a single game in that gap in which no Metroid games whatsoever were released.

Dec 5, 2017
Maybe because it's boring / annoying to play those games?
My personal experience is that Metroid "grandeur" is a lie and all the people who love it live in a fantasy.

I've been burnt by Metroid twice (Metroid Prime and Super Metroid).
Bought those games on Wii U VC because "everyone" love them so much. The beginning was fun but then I got lost and I had no idea where to go.
I saw in some videos that you have to bomb some random sutff to open holes and continue (in super metroid at least). That's BS.

Metroid Samus returns (3DS) was the only Metroid that I could enjoy, they got rid of the stupid stuff in the game design and they put the tools to help me.

I get the desire to tell people a game sucks just because you didn't get hooked into it, but having tries MP 10x before I finally got hooked and blew through it, I think it is an incredible game with very clever design. Not every game is meant for you to understand everything in the first 1 hour, sometimes your understanding of the mechanics comes with time. (MP, Witcher, Fallout, etc)

Oct 26, 2017
It's not that Nintendo fans aren't interested in Metroid. It's that the mainstream market isn't interested in Metroid, like they are with Mario Kart, Smash, 3D and 2D Mario, Animal Crossing, Pokemon, and, now, 3D Zelda. This is like asking why aren't more Sony fans interested in games like The Last Guardian when they are with God or War, The Last of Us, and Spider-Man. Most people who like most games aren't hardcore fans, they're either casual fans and/or just go with what they think looks good or what they're hearing from other people. Metroid is just a franchise that hasn't been able to break into the mainstream, like many other good franchises, at least not yet. Might be time to accept that rather than blaming anyone

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Samus Returns.

And given all the positive impressions, I really want to try Metroid Prime 1 at some point, but Nintendo hasn't released it on the Switch yet.

And I'm interested in Metroid Prime 4, but it seems a while off.

I guess I will like Metroid once some of its games actually release on Switch.

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019

Gears of war and Twilight Princess won way, WAY more GOTY awards than Okami in 2006. You can count for yourself : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Game_of_the_Year_awards

*Looks at Prime 2, Prime 3, and Fusion and what they've said they want to do with Prime 4* Uh huh

What? The fact that they restarted development on the game and are trying to increase the scope of the game as well as push it as a major title shows that they respect the series and care plenty. It just doesn't get the same attention as Nintendo's other franchises because it's nowhere near as popular as them and there's only so many games they can work on at once

Honestly, Metroid fans are up there with Souls fans as some of the most annoying ones out there

They respect the serie so much they mismanaged it for more than 10 years, MP4 included, but sure.

In the recent years, Mario Tennis and Bayonetta got more attention from Nintendo than Metroid. Let that sink in.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo should keep console Metroid an FPS. Already plenty of great indie games doing the Metroidvania formula and Nintendo have a big ugly missing gap in the FPS department. If they want to keep their portfolio diverse, then Prime 4 is perfect for that and it will attract more people to Switch.
They don't have a console/handheld divide anymore, so why not both?

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Most Nintendo games have that immediate friendly, assecible vibe that Metroid goes out of It's way to contrast. This isn't to say it has more depth, but there's less of a time investment required to get going on a basic level.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Super Metroid was clearly the height so far, but I still think the franchise hasn't peaked yet, in terms of sales and quality.

Nintendo doesn't care though. The way they managed MP4 development should tell everyone how much they respect the franchise.
If they didn't respect it, prime 4 would be toast and we would be weeping over the video announcing that game was canned.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The reasons why I like Metroid are probably super annoying to lots of other people.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
i played some super metroid and it was pretty good, then I played some smash

I don't really think about metroid

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Gears of war and Twilight Princess won way, WAY more GOTY awards than Okami in 2006. You can count for yourself : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Game_of_the_Year_awards

They respect the serie so much they mismanaged it for more than 10 years, MP4 included, but sure.

In the recent years, Mario Tennis and Bayonetta got more attention from Nintendo than Metroid. Let that sink in.
Both have studios behind working on them. Retro Studios went on to grow with Donkey Kong Country Returns.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Prime is a top all time game at 97, above super metroid.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Space opera and metroid completely contradict. The appeal of the series to most fans is about the isolation and atmosphere. Going around planets, in labyrinths and caves and closed in areas.
I understand that. But we're not here talking about why Metroid appeals to its fans. We're talking about why it doesn't appeal to people who aren't its fans, and - to some extent - what might change that. Any change carries the risk of turning off fans, but that doesn't mean they're not worth considering.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
You talk about mismanaged and gaps as if there were a mystery beyond "This sells badly, let's stop doing it." As if it were a Nintendo conspiracy against the IP and not simply that it is a continuous financial disappointment.

As if its "true fans" were enough to sustain the ip.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I understand that. But we're not here talking about why Metroid appeals to its fans. We're talking about why it doesn't appeal to people who aren't its fans, and - to some extent - what might change that. Any change carries the risk of turning off fans, but that doesn't mean they're not worth considering.
Okay. Then make a game for any series that doesn't appeal to the core fans and see how it works. It will come out and get tons of hate from core groups, and that will be bad word of mouth.

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, because the series sales peaked with Metroid Prime, declined from there, and then they tried to go in a different direction with Other M, which flopped. Not sure why they're supposed to keep pushing a series that just doesn't do all that well, even compared to their more mid tier franchises

Mario Tennis is handled by a team that's been making them for a long time and they sell in line with a lot of Metroid games for a fraction of the cost, time, and staff needed to make one. Not exactly surprising that they've marketed it more than a franchise that's been put on ice for a while now. Bayonetta isn't made internally by them and is a good way to broaden the audience for their systems so they naturally push it

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019
From all accounts, metroid 5 is being made and has been for over a year, maybe a year and a half.

What account ? Rumours or do you have any serious source ?

It's not that Nintendo fans aren't interested in Metroid. It's that the mainstream market isn't interested in Metroid, like they are with Mario Kart, Smash, 3D and 2D Mario, Animal Crossing, Pokemon, and, now, 3D Zelda. This is like asking why aren't more Sony fans interested in games like The Last Guardian when they are with God or War, The Last of Us, and Spider-Man. Most people who like most games aren't hardcore fans, they're either casual fans and/or just go with what they think looks good or what they're hearing from other people. Metroid is just a franchise that hasn't been able to break into the mainstream, like many other good franchises, at least not yet. Might be time to accept that rather than blaming anyone

Neither TLG or Metroid are "hardcore" games though and both have next to nothing in common when it comes to public appreciation.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Okay. Then make a game for any series that doesn't appeal to the core fans and see how it works. It will come out and get tons of hate from core groups, and that will be bad word of mouth.
Yeah, like Fire Emblem. I think IS are very worried right now about the state of the IP because there are people who say that thenew games are an abomination compared to Radiant Dawn and Path of Radiance.

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
It's a damn classic series I feel standing shoulder to shoulder with Mario and Zelda as far as gameplay and creativity are concerned. If Samus Returns is anything to go by, Nintendo still has the ability to create incredible Metroid games.

Real question is why F-Zero doesn't have more interest from Nintendo fans.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I think it's because of all nintendos properties meteroid has been the most successfully iterated upon by other developers. I enjoy the meteroidvania genera from time to time but the only meteroid game I've ever enjoyed playing was prime 1.

Ori and the blind forest and hollowknight are the kings of the genera at this point in time as far as I'm concerned and those are some big shoes for anyone to fill, even nintendo.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017

Get some perspective.

Metroid has gotten more chances and still continues to get more chances than Mother, Fzero, Kid icarus, and all their one off new IPs combined.

They care about Metroid as much as they care about Yoshi.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
The point isn't to make a game that "doesn't appeal to the core fans" (as you understood perfectly well). The point is to make a game that appeals to other groups but retains enough of the core appeal that existing fans can continue to enjoy it. That approach means acknowledging that there is a risk that the changes will turn off some portion of core fans.

The approach that we know definitely doesn't work is to make a game exactly like previous Metroid games.

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019
Yeah, because the series sales peaked with Metroid Prime, declined from there, and then they tried to go in a different direction with Other M, which flopped. Not sure why they're supposed to keep pushing a series that just doesn't do all that well, even compared to their more mid tier franchises

Mario Tennis is handled by a team that's been making them for a long time and they sell in line with a lot of Metroid games for a fraction of the cost, time, and staff needed to make one. Not exactly surprising that they've marketed it more than a franchise that's been put on ice for a while now. Bayonetta isn't made internally by them and is a good way to broaden the audience for their systems so they naturally push it

The sales declined because Nintendo thought it was a good idea to make Prime sequels (it wasn't) and because Other M was a meh game with awful execution, that is often mocked for very good reasons. The franchise has yet to recover from the bad press of Other M, which solely killed an already fragile franchise.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
The sales declined because Nintendo thought it was a good idea to make Prime sequels (it wasn't) and because Other M was a meh game with awful execution, that is often mocked for very good reasons. The franchise has yet to recover from the bad press of Other M, which solely killed an already fragile franchise.
I mean it was a good idea to people that loved the games. The core fanbase mostly loves prime 2 and 3 and they are both rated in the 90's. So how was it a bad idea?

Oct 26, 2017
Neither TLG or Metroid are "hardcore" games though and both have next to nothing in common when it comes to public appreciation.
Team ICO's games and Metroid are not necessarily hardcore games but the appeal of both games are limited, beyond the dedicated fanbase, even if they do get a ton of critical acclaim

Why weren't more Metroid Prime games a good idea when Meteoid Prime is the best selling Metroid game? That doesn't make much sense. They made Other M precisely because the series wasn't doing so well and I wouldn't say that game alone put the series on ice. It was just the straw that broke the camel's back

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it was a good idea to people that loved the games. The core fanbase mostly loves prime 2 and 3 and they are both rated in the 90's. So how was it a bad idea?
I haven't heard the core fan base praising 3 in a while. Maybe in comparison to Other M and Federation Force? It's definitely the bad one.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Beats me, as it's by far my favorite Nintendo franchise. Maybe the grit and sci-fi elements are too extreme for most of the Nintendo audience.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The bad one is sure good for a game rated 91 on metacritic. Higher than spiderman ps4, horizon, and a lot of critically praised and loved modern ps4 games.
Yeah but that was that time period where games got 90+ all the time. It's like how GTA4 is one of the highest rated games of all time despite also being considered "the bad one". Even if this wasn't the case, metacritic aggregates are generally not a good measure of quality for niche series like Metroid yeah?

Like you don't see people clamoring for Prime 4 to bring back Rundus or that general guy

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but that was that time period where games got 90+ all the time. It's like how GTA4 is one of the highest rated games of all time despite also being considered "the bad one". Even if this wasn't the case, metacritic aggregates are generally not a good measure of quality for niche series like Metroid yeah?

Like you don't see people clamoring for Prime 4 to bring back Rundus or that general guy
It's still considered a great game. Not the favorite overall by the fanbase, but in tons of other series would be considered the favorite. It shows how incredible the other games are.