• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
We will get there eventually. The walls that separate this will be crumbled. It will just take a bit more time. :)

With games of all genres, that is.

Feb 15, 2019
Yeah just look at how awful the Fortnite experience on consoles.. oh wait
I mean Epic did just disable the cross play thing for Switch considering they were playing at an even bigger disadvantage than the other consoles.

That being said looter shooters are more focused on pve and gear/stats are more important so who cares if someone they play with is worse.

Give it to fighting games, they're the real genre that need it. I don't like sitting in discord for sometimes up to hours to actually get a match. If all fighting games had crossplay that "sometimes up to hours" might become a "sometimes an hour"

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
There is very little tangible benefit to the market leader letting people play on their platform without having to pay for the privilege to do so.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But it could work when that shit probably runs dry in September. No more carving out content for Sony.
They said they were looking into it back when Forsaken came out too.

That said, now that Activision are out of the picture, Bungie may need that shitty anti-consumer Sony money hat even more.

Deleted member 19996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Those perks are not just PvP. You'd have to develop a system to can tell what kind of loot to give to what players depending on system. Also if the player on PC is using a controller, does that change it?

No reason at all to separate PvE from console or PC. But for PvP, separate keyboard/mouse, controller modes would be ideal. Ban any item used that can cheat the system into thinking you were using a controller, but you are on KB&M

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not disagreeing, but I'm having trouble understanding why a looter shooter would benefit more from a larger audience than say a 100-person round. It's generally just 3 or 4 in a squad, right? You don't need huge playerbases for that.

Obviously, everything should be cross-play and it sucks not being able to play with friends (or brother in your case) on different systems, but I'm not quite understanding where you're coming from.

Looters are more important because of time investment. If I want to be able to raid in Destiny 2 with my friends on PC but also raid with my friends on PS4, the difficulty of doing so is prohibitive. I've had to sort of keep up on PS4 which means less time to grind on PC or to play other games, which just increases burn out.

With Overwatch or something like that, ehh I can hop on any time I want on PS4 and it isn't so bad.

Crossplay is really really nice especially because I could also play with friends on Xbox.

At very least looters need cross save, but cross play would be very nice as well. I feel like save is more important though.

Depends. Balancing is one thing.

Destiny IIRC for example has some perks that exist on console (ones that affect Aim Assist) that don't exist on PC.

This is not true. It's not a platform thing. Just a control thing. Something like. Hand cannons accuracy perk affects aim assist and bullet magnetism on controller (on console AND PC), and only bullet magnetism on console. So I am still at a small advantage when I roll an enhanced hand cannons targeting on my PC Hunter's helmet. But it's not as impactful as it I was using a controller.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Everytime I have to read "looter shooter"...

Oompa-Loompa-300x300.jpg

Looter shooter shootatidoo, I'm gonna shoot and lootadiyou.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
This is my dream for Destiny now that Bungie is self publishing. I hope they can drop the exclusivity with PS, make a universal account system so it doesn't matter where you play, and make it cross play to keep the population thriving. I play on PC and swear it takes way too long to find some PVP matches, and patrols can be lifeless sometimes. Having the smallest player poll is pretty detrimental to these shared world games...

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Looter Shooters more than most would have to have some sort of in-game account system to really be worth while. A bigger player base is nice, but if I can still only play with people I want to play with on the same platform, I really don't care much for cross-play. Those things seem to take time.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Fighting games need this as much as Looter Shooters need it.

There, I fixed this for you ;)
I think all MP games should have crossplay, but I single out fighting games because they typically don't sell huge numbers outside of NRS games and Smash, and as someone who would prefer to play fighting games on PC and is tired of seeing these games die after a few months and make it nigh impossible to play Ranked modes anymore, crossplay would certainly help a great deal. SFV is evidence of this.

I don't think Looter Shooters are typically hurting for players. And if needs be, there are places you can find people - Discord, forums, etc. to group with, since the game is PVE. While you can do this in fighting games, these would only be for people to practice with/casual play. You can't use discord etc. to find Ranked matches.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
I think all MP games should have crossplay, but I single out fighting games because they typically don't sell huge numbers outside of NRS games and Smash, and as someone who would prefer to play fighting games on PC and is tired of seeing these games die after a few months and make it nigh impossible to play Ranked modes anymore, crossplay would certainly help a great deal. SFV is evidence of this.

I don't think Looter Shooters are typically hurting for players. And if needs be, there are places you can find people - Discord, forums, etc. to group with, since the game is PVE. While you can do this in fighting games, these would only be for people to practice with/casual play. You can't use discord etc. to find Ranked matches.
I agree with you there. Sadly, when it comes to fighting games on the PC, despite the best efforts the games are niche at best. I'm right there with you. It really hurts as the PC is my preferred platform, but the PC has that nasty stigma that fighting games simply don't belong there. We can thank multiple fighting game events and console purists for that.