• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed the use of literary characters in Codename S.T.E.A.M.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Because Dante's Inferno was a disgrace that turned Beatrice into a damsel in distress. Never again pls
It was once pointed out to me that Dante's Inferno tried to make Dante into a badass by making him into a soldier. Except the real Dante was already a soldier; he fought in the Battle of Campaldino.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I think a game based on books, when you have to acquire an IP first, doesn't have a huge selling point in most cases that's worth the effort.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
American McGee's Alice games, while obviously his own dark spin on things, definitely took from the books and not the Disney movie.

Acu

Jan 2, 2018
I would pay immense amounts of money for good videogame adaptations of some of Brandon Sanderson's works. Mistborn or Stormlight Archive (on a pre-desolation Roshar) could be amazing RPGs if handled right.

babyzelda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Years ago, I remember reading that Suda 51 was working on an adaptation of Kafka's The Castle, and I've been anxiously waiting for it ever since.

Perhaps that was the real adaptation all along

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Bloodborne is unofficially heavily based on Lovecraft's books, right? Best game this gen, by the way.

If we do not count it as such, then The Witcher is a very good choice.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
They were inspired after Visceral Games was inspired to make Dante's Inferno...

i-VdKPCPT.jpg

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I wish there were more adaptations from literature.

To Be and Pillars are two examples of incredible retellings in game form.

Birdseeding

Mar 13, 2018
Arguably the Romance of the Three Kingdoms series is a rather successful or at least long-lasting one.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
I've never played the Cryo Interactive adaptation of Philip K. Dick's Ubik. Looks to be a just a squad shooter based on the corporate espionage angle of the book, which is a shame, since there's a lot of potential for a game to get really creative with how the dream-reality regresses to earlier technology. For instance, modern visuals could deteriorate into earlier gens' graphics, or apply gameplay trends that were popular in the past. PKD's proposed movie adaptation was all about playing with different film-making techniques, so that can be translated into video game principles easily.

I suppose the PKD short story Paycheck could also make a fun basic point and click adventure, regardless of the film adaptation's faults. The genre is already about finding uses for esoteric items seemingly given out arbitrarily.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Most old books do not have enough action for a game. LOTR has that warlike image thanks to the films especially because in the books Tolkien did not particularly like to write about battles.

In modern books it is the same situation with movies: Why pay an author for rights when you can make your own ip?

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Check out Story Boy on PS4. It's based on Colin Thiele's 1964 children's book. Very short game, but the story is surprisingly touching and it made me tear up a bit at the end.

LNSfn6Z.jpg

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
I was thinking today that there are some series of books that I love that should be popular enough to move the needle if done well as a game, and would suit the medium well. Then it occurred to me that I couldn't think of a single example of a book going straight to video game other than The Witcher.

It's always based off the movie adaptation. There are tons of examples of those, but they aren't what I mean.

The example I have in mind:
Stormlight Archive series by Sanderson. It would be cheesy if adapted live action which is probably why it hasn't been yet, but would really suit games as a medium. The mystery of the ancient wars/history of the planet, the Stormlight based powers, the complicated plot and world map would make for some amazing gameplay if done properly.

Outside of the fantasy genre, another example might be the Bourne series. They could have been done as games easily.

I dunno it just strikes me as an untapped gold mine. Yes the big properties like Game of Thrones get represented but there is a ton of good IP content just waiting out there.
I'm sure Brandon Sanderson said last year that he was in talks about licencing the stormlight archives for film.

It would make an incredible game. He also expressed interest in CD project red doing mistborn which world wise would be great but the combat would stuck

Oct 25, 2017
The books that are adapted are usually fantasy or thrillers, i.e. stuff with lots of combat which translates easily into the standard gameplay loop of most AAA titles.

The more novel approach of indie games are probably better suited for more literary works, with room for experimentation or more thoughtful pacing, but there's then the barrier of licensing costs or the fact you're bringing your project under greater scrutiny. Walking sims feel like they'd lend themselves nicely to a lot of literary pieces—imagine a game which is focused entirely on recreating simply walking through Inferno. VR also feels like a good fit, and there's was a project in Boston College working on Ulysses VR,

The Animal Farm game sounds interesting. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Pennywise

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking today that there are some series of books that I love that should be popular enough to move the needle if done well as a game, and would suit the medium well. Then it occurred to me that I couldn't think of a single example of a book going straight to video game other than The Witcher.

It's always based off the movie adaptation. There are tons of examples of those, but they aren't what I mean.

The example I have in mind:
Stormlight Archive series by Sanderson. It would be cheesy if adapted live action which is probably why it hasn't been yet, but would really suit games as a medium. The mystery of the ancient wars/history of the planet, the Stormlight based powers, the complicated plot and world map would make for some amazing gameplay if done properly.

Outside of the fantasy genre, another example might be the Bourne series. They could have been done as games easily.

I dunno it just strikes me as an untapped gold mine. Yes the big properties like Game of Thrones get represented but there is a ton of good IP content just waiting out there.
Also an incredible risky/hard one.

Getting the rights can be already hard in some cases. Not every writer wants to see their material being used like that.
It's hard to pull off the right way without pissing off existing fans.
Also kinda hard to determine what kind of budget you would give the game, as the book readers aren't automatically gonna buy the game.

I just think that alot of companies are rather cautious with IPs that aren't really theirs, unless it's a popular one or it's part of a specific niche genre.
The Telltale games didn't exactly set the world on fire and they were already done on a much smaller budget compared to the big players in the AAA industry.

Overall I kind of agree. It's not even the fantasy stuff that really draws me in (allthough I would love to see some of these worlds within a game), but even the smaller scope stuff. Like there are so many decent mafia/crime books out there, that would set up a great initial premise and could still be adjusted to a certain level.
Wiseguy for example worked wonderful as a movie (Goodfellas) and could have also been a great game, depending on the quality of the studio.
There are others, but I can understand that this is still a field that hardly anyone wants to touch and can be incredible risky.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Anyway, I think part of the problem is that literature doesn't tend to work well in an interactive medium, same as most films/TV don't really work in an interactive medium.

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think video games could adapt most novels well, but they can certainly take place in the same world.

Worlds I want to play in:
Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea
Garth Nix's Old Kingdom Series
Discworld (I know we already got the PS1 games.)
The Twelve Kingdoms
Temeraire
Mistborn

But mostly I really, really want to sail around in Earthsea like in Wind Waker and use BELL magic as an Abhorsen in The Old Kingdom.

Give me an Earthsea game with Wind Waker style sailing you cowards.
YES EXACTLY.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
I see a lot of untapped potential in books like:
- EX (Peter Clines)
- Guardians of the Night (Sergej Luvjenko, I know, a (bad) game already exists)
- Temeraire (Naomi Novik)

Heck... even BAD books like Leviathan could turn into good games.

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
Wildbow's Worm is ridiculously good -- I'm currently at 70% through, and though the superpowers, politics, and character interactions here are far too detailed for anything game-like to be able to approach them, I'm convinced that its large, diverse cast of characters and its high-octane writing would make for an excellent visual novel.

timrtabor123

Feb 11, 2019
-The Witcher
-Tom Clancy's Rainbow 6
-I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream

I think one of the big issues is that most books aren't based around combat. You can do a videogame with limited combat, but they usually turn into walking simulators or Telltale-esque visual novels. Some stories can be forced into the videogame mold (no reason why Geralt can't go around slaying mobs all day), but others (like Game of Thrones) would be harder to pull off.

A lot of people want a big budget Game of Thrones game, but how would it even work? The books are based around character interaction and plot. I guess you could pull a Kingdom Come and have a guy run around a patch of Westeros, but would it really be Game of Thrones at that point?

I'd like to see Ubisoft pull off a narrative-driven Tom Clancy game. Lots of great material to pull from and it would fit the AAA mold well.
Crusader Kings 2 clone

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Why spend millions of dollars to buy rights to make games on a popular book series and then also be restricted by its world and characters when you can do all worldbuilding yourself by spending the same money on hiring your own writing team?

Not only that, when you are investing 100+mil $ on a game you would want to have complete control over it. The creator of the series could just decide not to cooperate with your studio on the rights anymore once your contract ends and boom you cant make money off making games in a series you spearheaded and popularised in the gaming community.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
It would be nice if more comic books were turned into games. I think when they were cranking them out like crazy, Telltale could have done a cool job with Y The Last Man. Especially since they already had worked with Vertigo for Fables/Wolf Among Us.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
- Temeraire (Naomi Novik)
What time of genre and gameplay do you imagine for this?

Why spend millions of dollars to buy rights to make games on a popular book series and then also be restricted by its world and characters when you can do all worldbuilding yourself by spending the same money on hiring your own writing team?
Because the worldbuilding of some of these novels are way better than anything your writing team can imagine. :(

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably easier for developers/publishers to just create their own IP without the limitations of the book world. A movie-based game might lead to a lot of people buying the game based on the IP, but a book based game probably not.

Most major book->game IPs followed a book->movie->game pattern... Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, Tom Clancy, The Godfather, etc. THere's a handful of book->games like The Witcher and the Metro series that break the mold. Even lesser known IPs like The Pillars of the Earth were a prominent book series, and then they became a BBC TV miniseries, and then a videogame. I believe the Walking Dead followed the same format (book->TV->game). I'd imagine most books that would make great games would also probably be good for movies and TV, and so you generally see that trajectory.

I think devs/publishers would rather just base their IP off of a well developed book IP, and then have the freedom to do what they want with the story, or mash together several different IPs. For instance, Bioshock is clearly influenced by Atlas Shrugged, 1984, Brave New World, Brazil, and other post-civilization neo-utopian/dystopian fictional properties, without needing to be strongly tied to a single property to maintain continuity.

There were probably more examples in the early videogame scene than there are today, because SciFi and Fantasy were less explored concepts in film & television, and so there was room in the nascent videogame industry for people who were passionately into those genres.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably because on average women tend to be the bigger market when it comes to books, which is a sharp contrast with video game were it's still geared towards the male market.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018

I haven't played this but I've read through the babel fish puzzle right at the start, and it's great. That perfect combination of witty humor and sadistic cruelty of the series fits so neatly into an adventure game context, unsurprisingly.

I suppose the PKD short story Paycheck could also make a fun basic point and click adventure, regardless of the film adaptation's faults. The genre is already about finding uses for esoteric items seemingly given out arbitrarily.

I actually never read the book but the thought I had through the entire film was "So, like, how is this not a Sierra-style inventory adventure game"

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
People who read don't use crude language or abuse acronyms unnecesarily; checkmate.
People who read have a lot better grasp of the language and more varied use of both acronyms and insults.
Meaning that you clearly misconstrued my GTFO as a simple crudeness when in reality it was much more than that.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
People who read have a lot better grasp of the language and more varied use of both acronyms and insults.

Meaning that you clearly misconstrued my GTFO as a simple crudeness when in reality it was much more than that.

Right, it takes a veritable Nobel prize of literature to spew a GTFO. You sure made quite the dazzling display of magnificent eloquence. :D