• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
It's amazing to look at the progress of the TV industry this past decade and contrast that with the struggles of the monitor industry. I'm currently looking around for a 4k 32in monitor and I'm stuck with a number of either bad or outdated models from 2016-2018. I have dual Dell 3008WFPs and I'm looking at spending at least $1300 now (partially due to Covid tax) for either a Dell 3216q or Predator X27 because all the other options like the LG 32UD99-W or Dell U3017q have flaws or are bad color-wise.

Mind you that none of the 30 inch options have 120Hz, HDMI 2.1, G-Sync/Freesync, or are OLED. I would have to step down to a 27inch to get that (and pay between $1500-$2000). I'm potentially paying the price of a 55in OLED TV for a vastly inferior display. The Predator X32 and PG32UQX are close to what I want, despite the fact that they're going to be north of $3500, but even then they will look worse than their OLED counterparts.

This is sort of insane. I'm going through posts on other forums from 2016 talking about how in a couple of years there might be good 4k displays. I'm already aware of the LG CX 48 in and I might have to go that route but it's ridiculous that I can't find anything in the 30-40 inch range that isn't a mess. I would even be willing to accept a great 4k 30in monitor with none of the gaming features if it was generally perfect otherwise and instead it still feels like I'm deciding between a bunch of tradeoffs.

The manufacturers themselves know that people want a 30in. So, I'm just puzzled why the monitor space is this bad right now.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I have the Acer Predator 32inch 4k IPS G-Sync monitor. It was EXCEPTIONALLY hard to get and I am not sure why. Out of stock everywhere when I was trying to get one. I remember being on a weekend away with my Girlfriend and a single 1 popped up on Amazon. I purchased it immediately and got it a couple days later.

Overall a great monitor and great experience but I'm probably going to update to a Samsung Odyssey G9 soon.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I'm not sure there is as much market for a 30 as you indicate. Right now people are working from home so the focus is probably on productivity monitors in the 24-27 range or entertainment TVs that start around 50-55 and go up. The in between market is quite niche by comparison.

madmook

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
Should finally be some once HDMI 2.1 starts getting put into models releasing late 2020 and into 2021.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
I imagine it has to do with the pixel density required.

Some screen types can't scale size up that far (samsung oleds) and some can't scale down pixels that far (LG oleds) for example.

Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing to look at the progress of the TV industry this past decade and contrast that with the struggles of the monitor industry. I'm currently looking around for a 4k 32in monitor and I'm stuck with a number of either bad or outdated models from 2016-2018. I have dual Dell 3008WFPs and I'm looking at spending at least $1300 now (partially due to Covid tax) for either a Dell 3216q or Predator X27 because all the other options like the LG 32UD99-W or Dell U3017q have flaws or are bad color-wise.

Mind you that none of the 30 inch options have 120Hz, HDMI 2.1, G-Sync/Freesync, or are OLED. I would have to step down to a 27inch to get that (and pay between $1500-$2000). I'm potentially paying the price of a 55in OLED TV for a vastly inferior display. The Predator X32 and PG32UQX are close to what I want, despite the fact that they're going to be north of $3500, but even then they will look worse than their OLED counterparts.

This is sort of insane. I'm going through posts on other forums from 2016 talking about how in a couple of years there might be good 4k displays. I'm already aware of the LG CX 48 in and I might have to go that route but it's ridiculous that I can't find anything in the 30-40 inch range that isn't a mess. I would even be willing to accept a great 4k 30in monitor with none of the gaming features if it was generally perfect otherwise and instead it still feels like I'm deciding between a bunch of tradeoffs.

The manufacturers themselves know that people want a 30in. So, I'm just puzzled why the monitor space is this bad right now.
Cost. Economies of scale. Market size. Pick your poison.

Deleted member 12129

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like mainstream gaming monitors hit that price to performance ratio at 27", then they go wildly off track with anything bigger.

juxjuxjux

Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I was in the same predicament late last year when shopping around for a new monitor. After digging for months, it seemed like the 30-inch range started to break into the TV space, and 4k monitors were harder to find. I ended up going with a 32-inch LG 32GK850G-B because 1440p was perfectly fine for me, and I jumped on the G-Sync / VRR wagon. Really happy with that decision, and will take high frames at "2k" resolution all day.

OP
OP
Jarmel

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I have the Acer Predator 32inch 4k IPS G-Sync monitor. It was EXCEPTIONALLY hard to get and I am not sure why. Out of stock everywhere when I was trying to get one. I remember being on a weekend away with my Girlfriend and a single 1 popped up on Amazon. I purchased it immediately and got it a couple days later.

Overall a great monitor and great experience but I'm probably going to update to a Samsung Odyssey G9 soon.
Oh, I'm not referring to the Predator XB321HK bmiphz but the X32. They're somewhat different.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Just go ahead and buy the LG OLED. You're not going to be satisfied with any of the alternatives. You're either going to end up paying more money for a smaller and markedly inferior display that doesn't have HDMI 2.1 or end up with a straight up garbage display.