• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
I think in the past 2-3 years I've maybe bought 1 game at full price (Death Stranding) -- the remainder of them are discounted within weeks.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I rarely do, but there's 2 big exceptions:

- For something like Destiny which is very community and co-op based, you don't want to "fall behind". It's always easier to group up for content if you're there for it as soon as it's available. Not to mention it's generally more fun to play these things right off the bat before they become trivially easy.

- A title you're really looking forward to and want to play as soon as possible. It doesn't happen much, but there's definitely some stuff you want to get your hands on day 1. Like, there's a follow-up to Hollow Knight coming up. I don't care if you tell me the game is literally gonna be free a week after release, I still want to play that on day 1.

Oct 28, 2017
Put me in the rarely camp. I have trouble finishing games lately so I tend to wait for a big discount. I will usually only reserve day 1 purchases for games I absolutely have to play right at the moment or if it is a fighting game. So for this year, it is definitely Doom Eternal, Cyberpunk, and GranBlue Fantasy Versus. Maybe FF7 Remake but I'm debating holding out for the pc version in a year.

PadPoet

Lead Community Manager at Socialpoint
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Barcelona
I have such a huge backlog I almost never buy games when they come out unless it's something I have been waiting for a while. Tekken 7 and Nioh are good examples of this.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
I don't. Buy everything heavily discoutned or second hand... it's a shame I can't support the industry aside from occasional sales but games aren't priced reasonably considering income levels where I live.
One full priced game is essentially how much my SO makes in three entire work days, for example.

Also, most of the stuff I buy is Nintendo too, not sure why so many people are using "I buy Nintendo games" as an answer. You're paying full price because you want to (don't get me wrong, good on you for helping keep the industry healthy!), don't act as if there's no choice if you're a Nintendo fan.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I have little self control and really like playing stuff when it's new and being discussed actively.
This is pretty much it. There's a special aura around a new game, fixed to the first few weeks or so after its release when everyone's enjoying it and discussing it actively. Same thing for big films in theatres and new shows when they premiere.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Either its a pre-order for CE/LE on games your excited for or games you want to play day one. When I pre-ordered FF XV when Amazon still had the 20% discount. Same with Persona 5. Now with it gone, I just wait on games going on sale in 6 months.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I don't. I like getting the most bang for my buck, and $60 for one game is ridiculous to me in this day and age.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I only buy games at full price if they're A) Nintendo games or B) something I've really been looking forward to (usually only 1-3 games per year).

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I bought DMC5 full price on launch, I could've waited until now and got it for about £15. I do not regret paying full price for a game I was excited for.

OP
OP
Mercador

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
I have depression and I sometimes foolishly think buying a trendy new release will be fun and help me feel better.
You're not alone and it doesn't work.
Uh...would OP please be so kind to tell me where I can play those Sony and Nintendo exclusive titles day one "deeply discounted", via a "monthly subscription" or "for free"? I am totally down with that. Thanks. :)
Nintendo, I couldn't say, I have to pay the Switch tax myself for my daughter (and sometimes for me too). However, God of War and Spiderman are two Sony games that went on sale quite fast (in my book)
How old are you OP? At some point you will probably realize that time is more valuable than money
42 but I guess games aren't giving much nowadays. I'm amaze that I'm looking at youtube videos of the games I want to play even if I had them. Guess I have a problem.

OP
OP
Mercador

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
Just seems a tad strange to me, eg how people are happy to spend copious amounts on luxury hardware and peripherals, but then hold back on the smaller premium required for actual content, the cost of which will actually better support developers or publishers and the release of future content and games.
I purchase also my hardware on sale unless I really want something, maybe I'm just a greedy bastard.
It's a valid question but the answer is simple really. You know that a potentially great life experience is waiting and you want to gather it as quick as possible. Life is short and unpredictable so why waste time waiting just to save some money.
That's a valid answer and I don't understand why I'm acting this way.

MaCNBAO.png

are u guys gamestop shills or something?
I haven't noticed this topic before doing mine, sorry

AlecKoKuTan

Oct 29, 2017
Irvine, CA
To support the devs, not buying everything under the sun either-- but Capcom as of late gets my day one purchases. Also, getting Doom Eternal and Final Fantasy 7 Remake day freaking one. Honestly, outside of a small handful of titles, I don't buy many games anymore. No time to play them.

OP
OP
Mercador

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
The second is that with multiplayer titles, you get to see and feel the meta develop, and you get to grow with the community. Those experimental early stages of the game are in my opinion, bar far the most fun experiences you ever get in a multiplayer game. The first month on a new fighting game, the first month on something like Apex Legends, where everyone was discovering new strategies, combos, and playstyles. In that state, the game feels like this big playground for creative expression and in my opinion it's a lot more satisfying to play than it is later down the road. You see games trying to recapture this feeling by periodically shifting the metagame with small adjustments, but it's never as exciting as when the game first dropped.
Funny that you mentionned that; when Apex released, I was in a medical leave so I had the time to play on the launch day, it was quite eerie to try out a game before everyone got back to work. I had that kind of feelings when I was reviewing games a few weeks before launch, Skyrim being the more memorable one.
I buy nintendo games in Canada :(
Yeah, 92$ here too. But if I don't like the game, I can resell it, Nintendo games keep their value generally.
OP do you only play single player games?
Mostly single player nowadays, I don't have those Q3A reflex anymore unfortunately. But I understand the question, if Overwatch 2 would release tomorrow, I would buy it at launch day (though Blizzard titles isn't what it was).

Algorum

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 23, 2018
Why not? I am aware of discounts and such but isn't that the way games are meant to be purchased for the developer to get at least 50% of its revenue? (much less at times) Due to publishing deals, etc???

Yeah steam sales are attractive or rather *sales* but i've read lots of articles on the subject and some, especially indie developers don't get much from sales.

OP
OP
Mercador

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
So, in retrospec, I should have done a survey and my question would have been "Do you feel that you buy less games at full price these days?" I understand that my question ruffles some feathers, it wasn't my wish, sorry for that, I still have a lot to learn on how formulate my stuff in English.

Around 40% said "Not at full price unless I really want it"
Around 30% said "Nintendo"
Around 25% said "Yes I can" and/or "I want to support the devs"
Around 5% said "Op you are stupid" and/or "Op you should be ashamed"

Not too bad I guess, I read all your answers, thank you.

Oct 28, 2017
I've only purchased two games at full price and those were Monster Hunter World and Dragon Quest 11. I regret neither, but typically I dont like paying full price for a game ever. Seems like a waste, considering just how quickly they depreciate in value.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I try not to for the reasons you mention. Being a patient person who's backlog is eternal makes it easier, but there are some games that are better to get in right at the start, but also I rarely care for multiplayer stuff. Only a couple of series are hard to pass off asap for me, From games being the only off the top of my head.

I currently have a list of games that have recently been released/are going to be released soon that I skipped completely knowing that there will be a "next gen remaster" soon enough and I would rather play the "full" version of the game. What with having so much to play I rarely go back for a replay on things now.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
1) I only do it for games I want to play as soon as possible.
2) I want to support the devs/studio behind a game I'm excited about.
3) I can afford to pay full price every once in a while and I don't mind for some games.

Pick whichever one you like the most.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
In an era where almost every game will be deeply discounted and/or being included in a monthly subscription and/or given away for free, how can you justify to pay full AAA price anymore? I'm not talking about indie games here, just the games from the big publishers. I'm curious to know your thoughts about this. Thanks!
Cause I need it NOW.

Same reason I pay for Amazon Prime.

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not interested in most games. So when one pops up that looks fun to me I'm happy to buy it and play it.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Uh...would OP please be so kind to tell me where I can play those Sony and Nintendo exclusive titles day one "deeply discounted", via a "monthly subscription" or "for free"? I am totally down with that. Thanks. :)
Almost every game I've bought Day One over the last two generations was discounted 25%-40% from Amazon or Best Buy by pre-ordering during E3 sales.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Almost every game I've bought Day One over the last two generations was discounted 25%-40% from Amazon or Best Buy by pre-ordering during E3 sales.

I preorder games all the time, also on Amazon, where are those 25%-40% sales before those games even release? @__@ I always pay full price preordering and getting the games day one.
I'd love to preoder games like BOTW, GOW or Spider-Man on Amazon and get them 40% cheaper, that's for sure.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
I want to play COD for the year it's out. And games with a plot, i don't want to get spoiled on the ending :D

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
I preorder games all the time, also on Amazon, where are those 25%-40% sales before those games even release? @__@ I always pay full price preordering and getting the games day one.
I'd love to preoder games like BOTW, GOW or Spider-Man on Amazon and get them 40% cheaper, that's for sure.
During E3, Amazon and Best Buy (in Canada at least) offer almost every game on sale. The discount has varied over the years depending on our dollar and the price of games, but most have been in the 25%-40% range (sometimes even more than that). And yes, I got all three games you listed day one on sale.

Of course, you can always cancel or return anything you decide you don't want so it was an easy decision to pre-order any game you might be interested in and then decide closer to launch whether you want to keep it. When Game Pass was expanded to include Microsoft first party games, I went through and cancelled a bunch of pre-orders since I ended up getting them via Game Pass.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I buy launch digital to signal to the publisher in my own mind this is more of what I want. Sometimes to support indie devs.

I buy physical full price only for collection purposes.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
My answers are similar to others in the thread, but I'll join in anyway - regarding AAA games, I buy full price/Day 1 if:
a) I don't want to be spoiled on a game.
b) I've been looking forward to the release, and don't want to wait - plus the social aspect of chatting online or with friends who are also playing the game at the same time.
c) I want to let publishers know that yes, there is a market for single-player games!
d) ...Nintendo tax. Yes, the games will be a bit cheaper on sale, but not that much. (Whilst I don't buy a lot of Collector's Editions anymore, Nintendo makes ones that feel worth my while.)

That being said, for 2019 I think only picked up about two games Day 1 (and both were Collector's Editions). I didn't have much free time last year, and didn't see the point in paying full-price for a game that was just going to sit there for months untouched.

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
I can't remember the last time I did. Walmart even has all brand new release Nintendo games for $10 off.