• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Why are you still on Twitter?

• Because I think that it's done more good than harm

Votes: 135 10.9%
  • Because I think it's done more harm than good but I don't care, I need my tweets from Jeff Bridges

Votes: 101 8.2%
  • Because I don't care about how much good or harm it's caused on a global scale at all. I like it.

Votes: 340 27.5%
  • I'm not on Twitter any longer

Votes: 224 18.1%
  • I've never been on Twitter

Votes: 437 35.3%

• Total voters

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
What you're asking for has a name, and it's censorship. I will continue to support Twitter, thank you very much.

Huggy

Oct 25, 2017
Twitter is what you make of it and you can choose who you follow and what you see. Out of the main Social Media platforms I've used over the years (Myspace/Facebook/Twitter) it's definitely my favorite, it's been a great place for me to talk with friends about video games and anime, as well as follow some great fan artists and comic book writers/artists. I personally don't use the platform much for news but I know many do, and with retweets it's really easy to share with your followers. Facebook doesn't have as much use for me on the regular side anymore, but the groups/marketplace is still the reason I go there alot, wish Twitter had something more similar to

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
It's a communication platform open to everybody, uniquely so. So of course there are some really crappy people on it, there are also some really good people on it. You can't get rid of crappy people. I mean, might as well throw away your phone, toss your computer, rip off your ears, you might hear something you don't like. At least this way we have a pretty good idea who it was that said the crappy thing and we can block/ignore them and only follow people who don't make the world worse.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Most of the game industry uses Twitter for communication between devs, and I source a lot of potential work connections via twitter.

OniLinkPlus

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the best way I can stay in contact with the rest of the transfemme community tbh.

Oct 28, 2017
It's interesting that many people here accept that Twitter is poorly moderated and often used for bad things, but use it because they are able to use it in a way that is beneficial for them. But when it comes to other social media sites like Reddit or Facebook, they view them as irredeemable plagues that should be wiped away.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
these answers don't have enough of a gradient to them. instead of trying to predict an entire moral position i feel like u should have just brought up specific things like "to read celeb tweets" "to interact with friends" or "to keep up on the news".

as it is i dont identify with any of your options. i am there for internet acquaintances and friends, and by extension their jokes or thoughts. Jack sucks ass and the moderation is terrible, but as long as that's where people i find interesting are, that's where I'll be.

Jul 18, 2018
It's interesting that many people here accept that Twitter is poorly moderated and often used for bad things, but use it because they are able to use it in a way that is beneficial for them. But when it comes to other social media sites like Reddit or Facebook, they view them as irredeemable plagues that should be wiped away.
Well tbf, Facebook has done a lot of very shady stuff that isn't close to anything Twitter has come close to doing. So basically supporting that platform (FB) is pretty much giving them free reign in controlling people's data while they get fined so they can keep on trucking

Feb 9, 2018
To follow artists I like. Many of them don't use alternative venues like Pixiv, DA, or Tumblr. And most of what I follow is Hazbin/Helluva related, and updates are all on Twitter. I occasionally venture outside that comfort zone, but not regularly.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
Big number of followers specific to my profession. I'm building up a newsletter list at the moment for if I ever have to leave, but we're talking 1 vs 15k here. So until I find a better place to promote my work I ain't leaving.

Oct 30, 2017
i'm a journalist and it's a genuinely transformative tool for that.

not sure why most other people would want to use it though, seems bad

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's the least popular social media website in my country. Which means that the people who lean left, or who are not bigots, tend to use it and I want to be there to read what they have to say.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
I follow interesting people who post links to interesting articles. Beyond that I have no use for it. Well, I follow some artist as well. Never posted anything on twitter, I just use to find good articles.

Last edited:

CamberGreber

Banned
Dec 27, 2019
Social Media has caused irreperable harm on mankind by causing people to form into there own little thought currated "cults" as a way to avoid any sense of existential dread associated with future shock and the already creeping effects of singlarity.

It is a huge net negative and I dont think we will recover during any of our lifetimes. Why? Because humans are naturally weak and servile. More and more people are being conditioned to favor some form of authoritarianism. Im not sure humans for the most part like full autonamy anymore.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I follow the people I enjoy reading about in regards to movies and tech.

Lego

Nov 14, 2017
I don't use it as much anymore but it's by far and away my favourite social media site. Always has been. You can curate a community of like minded people and you don't have to see the negative stuff.

Nov 1, 2017
This is so blatantly passive aggressive and self-righteous, especially considering the timing of your bump.

Just say you hate Twitter and you're judging people for using it.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'm like 0.3% of the population, so it's valuable for its ability to connect to, and read experiences from, others in that category.

Last edited:

Jetsun Mila

Apr 7, 2021
I never registered on twitter and removed the sign up pop up with ublock. I sometimes go visit it for stuff like Supper Mario Broth or ForestOfIllusion, it's a nice way to get news in a quick format

Oct 28, 2017
For information and memes. My follows are carefully curated. The only weird stuff I find in my feed are the occasional far-left and furry posts from that Dark Souls 2 overhaul modder.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
For news I guess. Other than that, I don't know. The memes get tiring quickly and my posts don't really have any traction. It's not a good platform for discussion.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably start phasing it out but during the NHL season it's the easiest way to stay up to date on news/trades/analytics stuff etc.