• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Why are you not going to buy a PS5?

• I have a PC and will play most games there.

Votes: 193 9.6%
  • I have no interest in Sony first party games.

Votes: 223 11.1%
  • I can't afford it.

Votes: 60 3.0%
  • I can't justify another console purchase.

Votes: 128 6.4%
  • I (have) | (will buy) a PS5

Votes: 1,297 64.5%
  • Other, please comment.

Votes: 109 5.4%

• Total voters

KenOD

Oct 25, 2017
I can not physically fit the PS5 anywhere I play games due to it's size and odd shape. Until a PS5 Slim resolves that, and even that is in question now, it would be a waste in every way to get the system as things are. I don't buy useless paperweights and that's all it would be for a very long time.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
So far there's nothing that I need to play announced exclusively for the PS5.

I think I'll just upgrade my PC and sit the consoles out entirely. I would of course like to own everything, but I have a young kid (and second due soon) and just don't have the money or time to dedicate to gaming that I used to.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alteado have a PS5. Currently waiting for FF VII Remake Intergrade, XVI, GoW 2 and Horizon.

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
I can't afford two similar-ish consoles in the living room. Considering 1) I already have a massive digital library of Xbox games over two generations, and 2) I'm addicted to Game Pass, the choice was easy.

In an ideal world where I would have more time and money (and more room), of course I'd love to invest in a PS5.
This is also why I hope Sony will copy Game Pass down the line, with an accessible cloud gaming subscription service offering their 1st party output day one (or shortly after). This would definitely help me jump in.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
Still waiting for mine to arrive. Pre-ordered on 20th of September. Current line is somewhere around 18th September. Maybe I'll be getting mine at summer? They are planning to close gyms entirely and probably going to ban outdoor exercise with friends anyway, so I'm not doing anything else.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not gonna sit online refreshing for a console that's almost six months old. This shit is ridiculous. That's basically me begging to give them my money. I'll check when they fix their supply chain issues.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Not until they have a true Xbox Game Pass competitor in which I can get all their games on a cheap sub along with others. I can't justify paying all that money for a console and then every game for $70. Not worth it when a competitor has shown it can be done another way. When they offer it, I'll buy a PS5 (digital).

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I may get one eventually but I'd be at least 2-3 games behind on all the big PlayStation franchises and I'm not sure I'd want to go back and catch up on all of them. The one thing that will definitely make me get one is if they get any kind of exclusivity on Monster Hunter World 2. If Sony announces that as a timed exclusive or buys Capcom or whatever then I'm in.

Last edited:

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
I built a PC instead of getting a console (Non-nintendo) last gen and I have been immensely satisfied with that decision. From the sales to the customization to the ability to use my crusty old controllers with new games with a little bit of tinkering, the only way I'd be all in on a PS5 is if one of my favorite 3rd party IPs landed on it exclusively.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
PS4's still trucking along in the getting games department. PS5 currently has nothing for me that I can't already play on PS4. I also dun just have $500+ dollars lying around to buy one for no reason. HDD size is crap as well for how big games keep getting. Plus no Slim version. I'll prolly get one someday maybe.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I am an extremely patient person, if they are going to bring their exclusives to PC, I am not passionate enough about their first party to buy a console just for them.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Too many issues, too many console-typical restrictions, too few exclusives I'm interested in, so I'm staying where I'm most comfortable with: PC.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Nice to see this thread doesn't have a bunch of hyper defensive people like the other one.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Was fortunate enough to win Jimbo's Pre-order Death Lottery and scored one from Sony Direct. I like & play my Series X more, but it's a great console in its own right. Adore the controller, 3D audio when used, and how fast everything I throw at it loads. There's a lot of work to be done on the OS/UX/Storage side of things, but they'll get there. Also fingers crossed meaningful PS1-3 BC is added down the line.

The next few months are pretty great exclusives wise between Returnal, Deathloop, Ratchet, and Solar Ash.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
1. Price. 2. I'll wait for the slim or pro. 3. Software prices. 4. Complete lack of games available or on the horizon that I'm interested in except Demon's Soul remake.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
It's a big maybe right now. The only game that has my attention really is the new FF. If that comes to PC, then I'm good. I'd buy Ratchet but not a console specifically for it.

If it played PS3 games well I'd buy one immediately.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Can't find one, but at the end of the day is not big deal (only handful of games so far) and not worth the hassle. Retailers here don't sell PS5 consoles online (thanks scalpers?). Only chance is to go in store and be lucky enough to know someone there or the personal don't act like they ''never receive restocks'', so you can pre-pay for one console with accessory and game for next shipment...

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
I got one mainly due to the hype at launch and I played Miles Morales and then it's just kind of sat there. Not gonna sell it because I want to play God of War 2, but until then I honestly could've done without it. I'll probably get Ratchet as well but not at launch because $70 is a lot right now. I play mostly multiplayer games and I've been playing on PC due to my friends playing on there and the free online so if Sony released Spider-Man and God of War on PC, I'd likely not even bother with the console but until that day comes (if ever) I'll be keeping the PS5 around for the occasional game

Teuthex

May 31, 2019
I play primarily on Xbox, and I haven't even been able to buy a Series X yet 😢

I might buy one in a couple of years after a slim model and some actual games are released. I am pretty keen for God of War 2 and Spider-Man 2, but funnily enough Death Stranding has been my favourite PS4 game so far, so if Kojima has a follow-up on PS5, I would be very excited.

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, there are a few reasons. First and foremost is that the Switch's portable play best fits my current situation, plus it has a list of games for me to play. I also have a PS4 that I have basically neglected to play at all (legit, the last game I played on it was Nioh and I haven't played any of the big games like GoW or Ghost of Tsushima). I know the PS5 is backwards compatible, but there's really no reason for me to get one. There's also the issue with how large it is, it may not even fit where I place my consoles.

Nov 4, 2017
I'd have bought one already if I could. Buuut I'm not going to be a filthy scab scumbag who buys from a scalper, so I'll just wait. Hopefully in that time some of the issues get ironed out.

Baobab

Feb 4, 2021
I started gaming on nintendo systems and they are my youth in gaming.
As i started university i passed to pc gaming as i needed a good laptop for my studies anyway and i did not have much money for any console.
In 2018, now a grown-ass man with a good income, i decided to splash my money on the switch.
After more then 20 year not owning any console, Breath of the wild was such a mesmerizing experience, a true Stendhal like moment in front of a great piece of art, that indeed that game is the sole thing responsible for me buying a PS4 because i was in a search of a similar experience anywhere else and many gamers were absolutely in love with their games on the PS4.
I loved god of war, uncharted 4, The last guardian, gravity rush, Shadow of colussus etc.....Loved those games but now i have an XBOX series X ahah
There were a couple of resons for this decision:
- The decison of sony that their new games are 80 euros new
- The acquisition of bethesda by microsoft and their studio acquistions before, that made me understand microsoft is serious
- the decision of sony to publish their games on PC
- ......after i already bought the xbox, the decision from sony to kill their Japan studio cemented my decision to wait with the ps 5( see my favourite ps4 games from above)

This is again fully my personal thought, so you will disagree, but:
For one PS 5 exclusive + PSN for an year i pay 140 euro for that year , but if i add to that amount of money jsut 28 euros i have game pass ultimate for 12 months which means i have : Windows live, Xcloud and i can game on my PC and on my console or on my handy without any difference.
That meant for me that the value propsition was already big in comparison with PS5, but still not quite enough to kip me to xbox, but then i added to this microsoft´s ambition with their new studios and the sheer varity of them ......and the knowledge that these games will come in future all inclusive in that game pass deal on day one......well that was a big plus.
Since i have i good PC for my work, and i know PS exclusive games will come, i will wait for them there .

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
the reason i got one:
huge digital backlog i have from last gen combined with qol improvements of new hw.
if i just cared about next gen exclusives, could have probably waited for a year.

(but glad i didn't because dont really think the thing will be easy to get next holiday either. totally lucked out at reveal evening silent pre-order drops.)

Last edited:

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
It's too big size-wise to simply replace my PS4, which means I literally have no place to put it that will allow me to easily connect it to a screen.

I'll get the $300 slim version in 2024.

Billdrew

Apr 8, 2019
Would love to get one but found it impossible here in the UK so far, everywhere instantly sells out whenever they get stock

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I am waiting for a redesign without the two tones, smaller, and with a bigger drive.

I definitely plan to pick one up but I didn't see an option in the poll for waiting on a redesign so I was forced to comment, per proper forum etiquette.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
I will not buy one because they are not for sale for normal people.

I've tried the random queues and obsessive compulsive twitter stalking, but fuck that noise. I'll just skip this system until it's able to be on the shelf for an entire day - which I'm thinking will be never - so maybe PS6, until then, keep the PC ports coming.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because I have a Series S and third party exclusives are basically dead, even for the niche Japanese games that tend to skip Xbox.

NieR and Yakuza are day one Xbox games now. World's gone topsy turvy.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
There are no games I want on it yet. Maybe one day if it gets enough exclusives I'm interested in. Also I'll wait for a slim version, the current one is just too much of a monstrosity.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Cant affort/other:

Seing how games will be 80€ (i know, sales, fast faling prices etc) i thought...no thanks. With that kind of money i actually prefere to do many other things.
Currently working on my electronics/arduino skills and doing projects, planning trips, i'll need to invest in a new bike... and i could afort a PS5, but to be honest i'll do it when the prices are more acceptable to me. Still holding over with an intro ableton license and a Suite would be sweet. Im dreaming of at least one festival this summer...

Yeah, im just not into "elite gamer" prices, and with the game prices incresing and consoles only available through scalpers for moon prices.... and my plan to go back somewhat into PC gaming since i would like to have more than an integrated CPU for some clasification/machine learning tasks kinda got shaftes with those GPU prices...

Edit: also its big and ugly and the only exclusive im interested is Demons Souls

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
I can't find one

I really want one but I don't care about any of Sony's first party games(except Horizon)

Also, the console really is huge and ugly

Total Cereal

Oct 28, 2017
I can't justify owning both consoles anymore. The Xbox exclusives appeal to me more than the PS ones, and I'm not about to spend another $400+ just to play a handful of games no matter how great they are. In a world where all 1st party Xbox games are on gamepass day 1, an Xbox Series console is just way too good of a deal compared to paying $60+ per game. I'll consider it when the disc-less PS5 hits $300 and maybe some of the great games are nice and cheap, but that would be for another couple of years at least.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
I'm not buying one because I got one for free. I'll probably buy a PS5 pro if that is a thing though.